2012 Subaru STI Hatchback; Spring upgrade Question

tjaschke

Alright, so as the title states, i am wanting to replace my stock springs with HR sport springs but keep the stock strut tower. I just need a no nonsense answer about if that is ok for a while until I am able to replace with some sort of brand new aftermarket coilover set up.

All help appreciated.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You should be just fine. Are the HR Sport springs lower than the factory ride height? If so, how much?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
To be honest, I don't know nearly as much about that generation STi as I do the GD chassis, and I don't know anything about HR Sport springs, but I don't think you'll have a problem with those springs on the stock struts. If the drop was more drastic, you might run into problems, but 1" should be fine.

Anyone with a hatch of this generation care to chime in?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The H&R Sport springs listing on Perrin Performance's website says, "Note 40. Performance aftermarket shocks or struts are highly recommended in this application."

"Recommended"

I don't see anything about "required".

http://perrinperformance.com/i-13324187-hr-sport-springs-for-2008-14-sti.html

Also, for future notice, utilize our "Request a Quote" sub-forum to inquire what kind of deals our vendors might be able to offer you. Not only are they helpful, but we try to support the vendors that support our forum before all other retailers.

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/forums/288-Request-A-Price-Quote

tjaschke

Ok well i went with the Tein springs instead of the HR, however, do you think i need to get an alignment after installing these myself?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Absolutely. You can do your best to mark the position of the tabs on the camber bolts with a sharpie, so you can get the alignment "close" when you put everything back together, but you will most definitely need an alignment. No matter how normal the car might drive after the install, don't drive around if at all possible between the install and an alignment. I know this isn't always possible, as you will do the work at home and drive the car to an alignment shop, but whatever you do, make the drive as minimal as possible. You can completely ruin a set of tires in an unbelievably short time. I can't remember the exact figures here, so bear with me, but it's something like "If your toe angle is out of tolerance by 1/8", in 10 miles of driving, you will effectively drag the tire sideways across the pavement a 1/4 mile." The tread on the inside of the tire will be completely gone.

Sounds crazy, but I know from personal experience. :banghead: Don't make the same mistakes I have.

tjaschke

and the local subaru dealer will not touch my car since i have suspension mods already and then to have sport springs they just don't want to go near it...gay gay gay....oh well.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
awesome well good thing i can get a free tow.

No offense intended, as I don't know your level of Subaru knowledge, but the only safe ways to tow a Subaru (or almost any AWD car for that matter) are:

1. Flatbed (preferred).
2. All four wheels on the ground (transmission in neutral, of course).
3. Rear wheels on the ground only, BUT with DRIVESHAFT REMOVED.

Any towing of the vehicle with only two wheels on the ground (without the driveshaft removed) will cause serious damage to the drivetrain.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Good, just making sure everyone does things safely. While at the same time, I sometimes feel bad mentioning things like that because I don't want to come off as insulting anyone's intelligence. But, people have done this before, so I feel obligated to add the disclaimer. :lol:

The safety of our members and their cars is of utmost importance to us here at igotasti.com.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Like [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] stated, alignment ASAP! I don't know about you guys, but I keep spare sets of tires now. I've dealt with wayyyyyy too much bullshit concerning tires and alignment since I've owned my car... :fuji: You can ALWAYS find an amazing deal on a set of slightly used tires on Nasioc. This is why I have three sets AND still looking for more! :rofl:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Alignments can actually be different between separate sets of wheels & tires. So for me, I always align to my summer ultra performance tire that I will run on the street.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk