Difficulty Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjaschke

Hello all, once again I have an issue that needs help.

Last weekend all of a sudden when I would turn the wheel to the left it would make a clunking noise and only when I turned left and then as I would drive down the road straight it became more and more difficult to turn the wheel to the left and once I did get it to turn it veered over really fast (not fun for rush hour traffic). It is now super difficult to turn the wheel in any direction and the 15 mile drive to the dealership made the steering wheel get tighter and harder to turn. At the Subaru dealership they replaced the Power Steering pump and the issue is still there as of today, so tomorrow they are replacing the Rack and Pinion, if that does not allow me to freely turn my wheel after the Rack is replaced what are other issues that could be wrong.

My STI is a 2012 and it only has 79560 miles on it.

Help appreciated.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If it clunked, then it cannot be the power steering pump. It has to be the rack, rack bushings, or a suspension component. The pump whines when it is going bad or low on fluid. How much were you charged for the pump?!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yikes! :angry:

tjaschke

It's better than what the dealer wanted me to pay, I about walked out when they said 575 plus tax...no thank you

So if it is indeed the rack thats bad, then the new one should make everything go back to normal, but if its not the source of the problem then what other parts in that area could be the problem?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
My source is someone who is very knowledgeable on the mechanics of cars that works at a dealership. The response I gave you is what I was told when I sent them this thread link. It can only be one of those three things. Do you have access to a lift?

tjaschke

I don't have access to a lift, but Subaru replaced the pump today and tomorrow they are installing the new Rack and Pinion, because the wheel will turn freely apparently when its not on the ground,but when it is on the ground its like driving a 1940 car with no power steering and it still doesn't really want to turn that well. But will if forced.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
These are the things that affect your wheels turning:

image008.jpg

You said it clunked when you turned it. By chance did the clunking sound from one side?

It could be a cv shaft that is failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjaschke

It was indeed the rack and pinion that was the culprit for my failure. Moderators you can delete this post.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Closing thread.

Thank you,
igotasti

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Status
Not open for further replies.