Clunking shocks

Piper86

Hi all,

Car: 2006 Subaru Impreza STI

So I bought the car with a entry level coil over suspension installed. This was highly uncomfortable and so I decided i wanted to install a stock set.

I received the cars OEM suspension from the previous owner. They had attempted to doe the grease nipple solution on this set however this was not done correctly according to me (the grease nipple was installed below the bottom shock guide and it was pumped full of grease. This leas to the shock compressing against grease and pushing out by the grease nipple again. Hence no damping, a grease mess and clunking still there.

I received another stock suspension from a friend who has a BC's coil-over suspension now installed which he is satisfied with.
I installed this set and it was great for the first 2 weeks, then the clunking started. So the planning and research started.

I stripped the greased up set and found that the dampers are still fine, so its purely a case of rattling and irritation and handling is not compromised. We also checked the tolerance between the top guide and the shock and it is very small (7-9microns of a mm).

I looked for solutions and found that the grease nipple should be installed as high up as possible between the two guides so that it can purely lubricate the damper in its movements and not restrict the movements.

I was also considering an insert/guide to be installed between the guide which should create a snug fit to the damper however I could not find any information on this being experimented by others in the past.

The spare strut mounts have now been cleaned and re-drilled at the correct location and I need to just buy some grease nipples and a pump then assemble.

Have any of you done this?
Did it work?
What grease was used?
Does anyone have an alternative to this for repairing the chuckling noise?

The price of replacing a stock strut and damper with OEM parts is just so high that I can rather purchase a complete BC's fully adjustable suspension for a cheaper price. Which Is why I would rather not go that route, and also as I mentioned, the dampers and springs are working as they should, its just the chuckling noise.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I haven't done anything other than what is prescribed and the clunk always seems to come back for me.

I ended up braking down and buying a set of KW Variant 3's. $2500 later but the ride is sublime. I can not believe how the car glides over the worst of road surfaces and still maintains way better than stock performance. I have mine turned down all the way for both bump and rebound. They are the only ones I know of that allow you to adjust both. They seem to hold up well over time also. My buddy has had them on his Porsche for years and no issues.

Just ask Alin how awesome they are :lol:

I will never go back to stock suspension and the amount I spent over the years on stock component and other after market parts makes me sick.

Piper86

Cool thanks man, I was thinking of just giving it a squeeze of grease every now and then. But I get that I need to save up for a proper set of fully adjustable coil overs then.
I note you say the ride glides over everything. As our roads in South Africa are not on EU or US standards, a soft ride is very important to me and it needs to be able to take a punch and not hit your kidneys out the roof.
I take it a setup like this is possible then with a proper set of coillies.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Does the clunking struts really bother you? I'd say leave them alone and put any/all money towards a new setup. My struts clunk horeendously, but it doesn't bother me. It's part of my "raw suspension" experience! :lol:
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] 's car rides like a limo compared to my car!! Night and day difference!!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm in NY... Our roads are famous for being bad.

Cool thanks man, I was thinking of just giving it a squeeze of grease every now and then. But I get that I need to save up for a proper set of fully adjustable coil overs then.
I note you say the ride glides over everything. As our roads in South Africa are not on EU or US standards, a soft ride is very important to me and it needs to be able to take a punch and not hit your kidneys out the roof.
I take it a setup like this is possible then with a proper set of coillies.

Piper86

Does the clunking struts really bother you? I'd say leave them alone and put any/all money towards a new setup. My struts clunk horeendously, but it doesn't bother me. It's part of my "raw suspension" experience! :lol:
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] 's car rides like a limo compared to my car!! Night and day difference!!

Lol! Yeah it bothers me as it supper irritating. Car is used as a daily by my wife... and also its driven below 60 during the week so its constantly clunking.

But thanks a lot I will start saving up then. The grease fix is costing me virtually nutting as I'm doing it myself.