Clutches...

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
so im looking for some advice here. as most of you know im building the motor on my car and im going to need a new clutch and flywheel to go with it of course. i have never purchased a clutch before and wanted to get some insight on the best ones for which application..

i need one that isnt too heavy that driving on the street will get difficult. but i need something that will hold up to the power i put down.
i do like to do some "spirited driving" but the car wont be used every day. more often than not but not every day

GO!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Get the one that [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] got! He can fill you in on what he has.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION]

side note: i had to take the posts down for the seats i kept getting messages lol they were annoying

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Side note:

i say you put them up for $500-$600 whatever you think is best and if they sell then so be it. We keep running into issues with the car. :/
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] what clutch do you recommend?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Currently, I have a Comp Clutch single disc Stage 4 (6-puck, 550 lb-ft capacity). It's surprisingly light on your left leg. Previous, I had a Spec Stage 2+ (iirc) which was also a pleasure to drive.

I know a lot of people like Exedy, but back in the day I had an Exedy single disc (3-puck) that was such an unbelievable piece of shit, I'll probably never buy anything from them again.

Jordan @Defined Performance can hook you up. I bought both, the Spec and Comp clutches, from him.

***Btw...don't ever resurface your factory flywheel. Spend the extra ~$225 and get a new one. Learn from my fuck ups whenever you can. Long story short, my flywheel developed hot spots from being too thin after a resurfacing, and welded itself to the pucks on my Spec clutch during an autocross event. That was an expensive mistake.***

Last edited:
I'd suggest checking out a Southbend clutch which is a custom Exedy product. I"ve had great luck with them. I also carry Competition Clutch, Exedy, ClutchMasters ( Which I'm not a fan of personally ), and then some Twins depending on your power range.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
I'd suggest checking out a Southbend clutch which is a custom Exedy product. I"ve had great luck with them. I also carry Competition Clutch, Exedy, ClutchMasters ( Which I'm not a fan of personally ), and then some Twins depending on your power range.

its probably going to be in the 450-500 range power wise. im doing a IAG closed deck block with GTX3076R rotated. i dont know anything about what brand is better for what reasons, 6 puck 4 puck etc. i have 0 knowledge. im honestly just going off of reviews and other peoples experiences like [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION].

and no i would never resurface my flywheel. always new products. i dont even resurface my rotors lol

The Southbend Stage 2 Daily is a kit holding 495 Ft Lb of Torque. Spring hub street disc. Would this do the trick? I sell a lot of the IAG Blocks and same with the GTX Turbo's. If you're needing to be taken care of I'd be more than willing to help.

its probably going to be in the 450-500 range power wise. im doing a IAG closed deck block with GTX3076R rotated. i dont know anything about what brand is better for what reasons, 6 puck 4 puck etc. i have 0 knowledge. im honestly just going off of reviews and other peoples experiences like @Batmobile_Engage.

and no i would never resurface my flywheel. always new products. i dont even resurface my rotors lol

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm imagine that Southbend clutch would be just fine. But personally, as long as the clutch is comfortable to drive, I'd rather opt for a higher torque capacity than I need just to be sure I don't destroy it when slamming 2nd gear at 7,000 rpms. :lol:

That Comp Clutch Stage 4 that Jordan suggested for me a couple years ago is way lighter and more comfortable that I expected from a 550 lb-ft rated clutch. Every clutch is a little bit different, but after trying out a few different types, I seem to prefer 6-pucks. It's kind of hard to describe though...

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i agree with Ryan. im someone who will spend a little bit more to get something of quality and i can be sure will hold up. that's part of the reason im doing the closed deck block in the first place. my original plan was not to spend this much money but if im gunna do it im only doing it once you know. im not building a racecar to set records i just want something fun and reliable (to an extent) so what would be a step up from that Southbend Stage 2 Daily but still streetable.

as far as where im purchasing my parts from, i haven't quite decided yet. i know a lot of people that sell these parts and its like who do i pick lol? i know some guys at IAG, i know Yanev at SMY, people at JNA, you guys, and so on. honestly it may just end up coming down to who has the best price. i would rather get everything i can from one place you know. but either way i don't have all the funds yet so i still have time to figure that out. im trying to plan as much as i can so once i do have money ready i already know what im doing.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i wish buying aftermarket parts was like buying a new car. test drive or test fit before you buy lol. but we all know that will never happen

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Absolutely. One day, when I actually manage to get myself a built block, I'm going with closed deck as well. The difference in price versus the difference in quality makes it a no-brainer.

To make it even harder I'll tell you this. IAG is very strict. IAG Dealers are not allowed to discount their product line so we'll all be the same price. I ship fast, I invest in the community and I'm going to answer any question I can to help you guys out. If you'd like to do one step up and go with a Southbend Stage 2 Endurance it'd give you a little head room to gain in the future.

SDMotorworks

On Vacation
[MENTION=5193]War_Panda04[/MENTION] We deal with IAG direct and have sold the blocks for many different power levels. For the power range you want, if you want a closed deck block I recommend the IAG stage 2.5 block which is a top seller for blocks right now for people who want the extra protection.

As for clutch wise, the Competition Clutch kits are good ones. We have a stage 2 clutch kit on our 05 STI which is 410whp and has been on there for 4 years still going strong. Easily driveable and we take that car to the track a lot and launch the piss out of it and the clutch and flywheel are perfect. The stage 3 kit should be able to hold the power you want, South Bend has good clutches as well and seem to be popular with our customers and we have nothing but good things to say about those also. The go to brand for us and what most our customers want are the Competition Clutch kits. Just did the same stage 2 kit for a customers 2015 STI that made 405whp and 380wtq and its holding perfect. Its a daily driven STI that has been to the track and launched plenty of times and still drove back home same day (over and hour away from track).

That one is running a GTX3582R stock location turbo as well. If you have a list of everything you will be needing please don't hesitate to send it to me and Ill see what I can do and answer any questions you may have. We are also doing a shop car 06 STI build which will get a IAG stage 4 extreme block with stage 5 heads, but that car is going for over 800whp. But they got blocks for all kinds of power levels.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
@War_Panda04 We deal with IAG direct and have sold the blocks for many different power levels. For the power range you want, if you want a closed deck block I recommend the IAG stage 2.5 block which is a top seller for blocks right now for people who want the extra protection.

As for clutch wise, the Competition Clutch kits are good ones. We have a stage 2 clutch kit on our 05 STI which is 410whp and has been on there for 4 years still going strong. Easily driveable and we take that car to the track a lot and launch the piss out of it and the clutch and flywheel are perfect. The stage 3 kit should be able to hold the power you want, South Bend has good clutches as well and seem to be popular with our customers and we have nothing but good things to say about those also. The go to brand for us and what most our customers want are the Competition Clutch kits. Just did the same stage 2 kit for a customers 2015 STI that made 405whp and 380wtq and its holding perfect. Its a daily driven STI that has been to the track and launched plenty of times and still drove back home same day (over and hour away from track).

That one is running a GTX3582R stock location turbo as well. If you have a list of everything you will be needing please don't hesitate to send it to me and Ill see what I can do and answer any questions you may have. We are also doing a shop car 06 STI build which will get a IAG stage 4 extreme block with stage 5 heads, but that car is going for over 800whp. But they got blocks for all kinds of power levels.

the stage 2.5 closed deck is actually the exact block i am going with. like i mentioned before i still have plenty of time before im ready to purchase anything. i have a bunch of friends in the business so i have to figure it all out.