How To: (VIDEO) Build A Rear Diffuser For Under $100

HawkeyeSTiGuy

?UPDATE: 11 December 2016
?Part 2 is now posted. In the second video, I show how to add fiberglass and bed liner to your diffuser.

This video explains how I built my own rear diffuser out of foam board & fiberglass. There are other DIY diffusers out there, but I have never seen any like this. This is 100% my own idea & design. I know it's not the nicest out there, but for under $100, its a fun, easy, DIY option. Mine has been on my car for 2.5 years now & is holding up just fine.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I will be making a video in the future showing the fiberglass & bed liner processes, but if you've ever used either before, you could probably figure it out easy enough.

NOTE: The diffuser tucks under my bumper. The black you see on the outside is plastidip I sprayed on to mimic the "Mature" style of diffuser seen here.http://www.forcewerkz.com/2002-2007-subaru-wrx-sti-mature-style-rear-diffuser-carbon-fiber/

?TIME TO COMPLETE: About 3 hours to build. It could take much more to figure out the angles, how to trim it, & how to mount it.

The first time I did this project it took me about 20-30 hours total to complete. However, a large majority of that time was spent figuring out how to make my idea work. I have never seen a diffuser like this, so it was completely new to me & I was creating the process as I went.

?PRICE BREAKDOWN:

QUANTITY?MATERIAL?COST
1 box?cardboard box (cut for template)?$2
3-4 sheets ?foam board?$5 each
1 roll?masking tape?$4
3-4 bags? fiberglass cloth?$7 per bag of 8sq ft
2 quarts?fiberglass resin?$15 per quart OR $40 per gallon
varies?brushes, mixing cups, etc?$5
varies?mounting hardware?$5-10
1?respirator mask?$30+
1 can? truck bed liner?$7

??TOTAL: About $130 plus tax if you don't have anything on the list. The resin, fiberglass, & respirator are the most expensive things.

UPDATE: 11 December 2016

Part 2 is now posted. In this second video, I show how to add fiberglass and bed liner to your diffuser.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very cool.

Thank you for sharing with us. ?

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That.... is..... AWESOME!!!!! :ty:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=5474]HawkeyeSTiGuy[/MENTION] promoted this to the front of our website and will be sharing this today on our FB page today.

Keep up the great work. ;)