Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Lugging the Engine?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Lugging the Engine?

If you're in 6th gear say doing 50MPH@2200RPMs, is that lugging the engine? I find that when using "I" Drive the system indicates for me to upshift quickly and the RPMs aren't really all that high. As soon as I check the RPMs and the gear, the iDrive indicates for me to shift to the next gear again. By the time I'm in 6th I'm at about 2200 RPM and no more than 50mph. Is this hard on the engine?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Lugging the Engine?

I don't like being under 2.8k on the highway unless the highway is a decline. Your gearing is different from mine, so keep that in mind too.

In the city, I coast around 2k. If I need to accelerate, I downshift. On the highway, you need a lot more load to move and if you're around 2-2.2k, then that's harsh on the engine. This is? Of course, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

3. Thanks jimoblivion thanked for this post
    Likes jimoblivion liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Lugging the Engine?

That's what I was thinking too, I've seen numerous video on lugging the engine. I guess I'll have to look into the gearing more then.

5. Likes Alin liked this post