Looking for a new commuter car...

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Maybe "new" isn't the right word. Lightly used, MY2013-2016, from $18-22k is more like it.

I'm not opposed to RWD, but the winters here can sometimes make RWD cars a terrible choice. Gas mileage should be decent, but I hope to not sacrifice decent power for the sake of a few extra MPG. Somewhere between 200-350 hp would be wonderful.

I've looked at a number of Subarus, but the vast majority of what I come across have that damn CVT transmission that no one likes.

It should be big enough to put a dead deer in the trunk and kids (future) in the back seat. A roof rack for kayaks is highly desirable, but not absolutely necessary.

***I will update this post as time goes on.***

If anyone has any bright ideas, please leave suggestions below. Thanks in advance!

Examples of what I have considered so far:

Buick Regal GS Turbo
Ford Focus ST
'15-16 WRX

Last edited:
2015+ WRX manual would prob fit all that n roof racks.. maybe lol back seats down for the deer, has the power and the mileage over the STi. Or at least it's spacious to me and even has the child seat anchors up in the back too.
Though whenever it does decides to happen STi FA25DIT would be the sleeper waiting to wake up.

Wifey might be interested in that new Viziv 7 concept if it really does replace the Tribeca.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I have definitely looked at a few 2015 WRX's out there. Problem with that is, the vast majority of them are either on the other side of the country or priced within my range because someone managed to put a shit ton of miles on it already.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Dude call Heuberger!! We get big discounts with them. ;)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yeah, but you'll save a lot of money!!!

Apparently, there was one Subaru dealer out there that actually accepted the Ambassador coupon on a used certified 2015+ STi. Although it should have been new cars only hah one lucky guy.

Go fly out and bring one home :p

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Apparently, there was one Subaru dealer out there that actually accepted the Ambassador coupon on a used certified 2015+ STi. Although it should have been new cars only hah one lucky guy.

Go fly out and bring one home :p

Dang he got lucky, lol.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
[MENTION=4535]HeubergerSubaru[/MENTION]

Have anything sporty I might be interested in?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Paging @HeubergerSubaru ^^^ Read up.

Annnnyway...I think I'm headed towards the Buick Regal GS. Not sure just yet if I must have the AWD model or if the FWD will suffice. The FWD model gets a little bit better gas mileage and acceleration, since it's not lugging around all the extra drivetrain weight. I really do love AWD, but if I'm trying to be realistic, then I have to admit that I can get just about anywhere I need to with just FWD. After all, my home town isn't known for mild winters.

You would think, that living in the Detroit Metro area, that I'd have an easy time finding a 2014-2017 Regal GS for a reasonable price. They must not have made very many GS models and/or the people that have them are not selling or trading them in. Maybe that's a good sign, and I'll just have to look a little harder.

Still kind of pissed that Subaru has outfitted nearly every model with a transmission I don't like. If I had my way, they'd be making the Baja (or even a Legacy) with a FA20DIT mated to a paddle shifted automatic.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
@Batmobile_Engage, i gota say i do like my wifes 2013 G37. We picked hers up for around 22K with 13K miles on it from carmax out here in california. While we got ours in RWD since we live in the valley in CA, and I plan to have some fun days at auto-x with it, they do also come in AWD. However, they use CVT transmissions.

Other thoughts is that while she commutes 3 times as far as i do every day she still gets me on savings getting like 30ish MPG. As far as power, its got plenty, boasting 330HP on NA engine. Ride comfortable but the breaks do take some getting used to, as in they stop on a dime. By far they are the touchiest breaks I have ever droven with. However, after driving it for like 2 minutes it i get used to it.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
What's your opinion on CVT transmissions?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

we picked the car up with 13K miles last year and we are fast approaching 60k miles this year. Since then the trans mission has always had nice crisp shifts when in auto mode "D" and same when I play with it in sport shift mode, i think that was its called. Over all trans mission on it seems solid in its stock form but with 330 NA HP and getting about 33MPG highway average is nice. We have no plans on modifying the car at all since its her commuter, only thing i would say watch out for in that car is your speed it rides so smooth you can easily be doing 80-90 on the freeway out here and it will feel like you are doing 60ish. Best thing i can say is go take a g37 for a test drive and get a feel for it. We own the RWD because CA, and i already have a AWD so i can comment on how the AWD one handles, and or its MPG on the gas. I would imagine that the AWD version get less miles per a gallon. Also fun note about about carmax if you know of a car that you want and another site has it they can have it shipped to you. instead of driving across the country. "no i am not giving carmax a shoutout just going from my experience with them" Also note there is not much haggling to be done with them either.

Not to shoutout carmax either but my buddy in california also picked up his STi via carmax since they ship it to the place nearest you just so you can test drive it is pretty nice.