Pumps and filters

Piper86

Hi all,so i've had my 06 EJ257 STI for a year now and Saturday I get a P0171 system lean error.
So I'm going to clean the MAF but I also need to do the fuel filter. My intake is a new perrin setup afta maf + turbo inlet so I doubt a problem there.

Tricky part:

Previous owner replaced the oem fuel pump with a walbro pump (he thinks) with out a in tank filter. A engine bay filter (autozone part not oem to the previous gen) was installed by removing the fuel damper on the feed line.
So thats the setup.

I need to change the filter.

Do I:
1. Keep the setup and change the filter with a oem enginebay filter as with blob?
2. Change it all back to stock.
3. Return to stock keeping the walbro pump?

I do not yet know the pump tails as i still need to open up up and see it for myself.

Ive heard the stock bov/recirculating valve can give issues relating to this code, any truth to that?

SudoSTI

You have pictures of your setup? What style of fuel filter is it? What I'm picturing seems like it could be kind of cheesy and ineffective. I know a lot of guys that remove the in tank filter and get a bracket from one of the older models (02-05 I believe) to use an OEM filter. Looks very clean and is very effective if you're running pump gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piper86

Yea it does look cheesy and the catch can is right behind it
I want to clean up the engine bay a but too
So I'm looking at options
Ideally i want to reconnect the fuel damper, and install an inline filter in the tank

Current filter has no bracket and is just inline where the fuel damper use to be