2012 sti throwing codes after power steering pump rebuild and install

smalay

So take out ps rack on car. Take it and get rebuilt by Subaru tech. All good. Install fill with fluid turn wheels all that. Drive. Get alignment. Romp on it after alignment. Have misfire codes and two other random codes. Did have fluid spew out on engine. Did it get on timing belt causing slip? Wtf

What codes are you getting? It will help narrow what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misfire on cyl 1 2 3 and pfffe relates to that as well from a quick search. Pull plugs and take a picture and post here. Please

smalay

Just put new plugs in two weeks ago. Ran great until ps fluid blew all over. I'm wondering if the fluid go on to timing belt and cause slipping to throw codes?

smalay

Also reset ecu via access port fired up and drove around lightly. Never showed a thing? Want to romp on it but don't want to slip the timing horribly

Also when you pull the plugs do a compression test. That will tell for sure if there is an issue with your valves. Also you said the rack was blew out? That's under the car and don't see how that could possibly get into the timing belt area.

smalay

Compression and plugs all done two weeks ago. Replaced steering rack today and the pump fir power steering sits above ur timing belt cover. So when I went to take out rack I had to pull hard line off pump to get slack to be able to get access to quick connects that go into top of steering rack . U know down at the bottom of engine bay on passenger side. Well mean time that hard line from pump and pump itself even with rags jammed in still oozed above timing belt cover...

Ahh ic what you mean now. If you want to know if timing is off there's only one way to find out. Pull all for plugs and turn motor by hand with wrench connected to harmonic balancer. If there's no resistance like something is jammed up when you turn the motor then pull off harmonic balancer and timing belt cover and rotate the engine by hand again until all timing marks line up. If that all lines up time compression test. Sorry for the work you have ahead of you but these are the steps I would do myself to figure out what's going on. Make note of which plugs were in each cylinder when you pull them because the burn pattern can give hints as to why it's misfiring.

smalay

Dang. So I mean is that a possibility then that it may have slipped a touch? Like just enough to throw a code than? I mean if it slips at all ur out of timing that regardless? And that's a hypothetical question. But now it's running totally fine again?

If it's running fine then I don't think it would be timing. You could always pull the outer timing can bet on drivers side and see if there's oil on the belt. That is pretty easy to do. My question though is why did it misfire in first place. Soon many possibilities. Oil in the intake from stuck pcv, bad gas, bad timing, bad tune, mis gapped plugs, fouled plug, bad cool pack, and plenty more to boot. What we do know so far is that it misfired on 3 cylinders 1-3. Did you happen to have your Cobb logging at that time? Basically I am trying to get to route cause of it. If the timing did jump a tooth I would suspect it would of misfired on #4 as well but you didn't list that code. So two easiest things to look at are the plugs and at least pull the timing belt outer cover from the drivers side and look for oil on the belt.

smalay

Right? So strange. Of course it's my brothers car.. super mild add on's . Access port. Cobb intake and new clutch. Short shifter. Light mods. On stage one map. Had one misfire on cylinder 1. That's why I changed plugs and checked compression. Everything was great when I was done. Ran like new. Then today hit. Was not logging unfortunately. But real time was all clean numbers and all normal until romp sesh. Went to car wash. Blew off all the oil we could get safely. Then let it dry for a bit. Cleared codes. Drove. Ran great. Romped on it all acted normal. I own an 07 sti so that's my baby but do all the work on his car now to cause he bought one... soooo I figured same route as you are explaining with checking belt and keep it simple fer now. If it codes again follow ur info. Very helpful and thank you for quick response. Really appreciate it