Creaking and squeaking front suspension and strut clunk questions

I tried to search first and didn't really turn up anything solid pertaining to my issue. I'll start with the squeaking: At the start of this past winter, I noticed a squeaking/creaking noise coming from the front suspension of my '04 STi (it's stock suspension). I figured it was no big deal and probably associated with the cold. Now that spring is here and it has warmed up, the creaking is much louder. In order to figure out what was making this noise, I got underneath and sprayed Kroil lubricant on the rubber sway bar bushings and end links to see if it went away, but it didn't. It sounds like dry rubber rubbing on metal, or kinda like squeaky sneakers on a basketball court. The squeaking noise almost non stop if I am going slow, say 2nd gear, cruising around my neighborhood and especially if I run over small bumps or small dips in the road or going up down a "rolled" curb. I can actually push down on the front end of the car while it's sitting still and get it to squeak. It's really annoying to me now that it's louder! Any suggestions on how to pinpoint and figure out where in the heck it's coming from, or a common problem/part or something?

Problem 2, is a clunking from what I think is the front passenger strut, it mainly only happens if I am coming to a slow stop, and especially if the car rolls over small bumps while stopping. I know about the rear strut clunking issue, but they are fine, no noise/clunking from the rears. I thought the clunk issue was only with the rear struts, and not front? Or am I wrong? I have noticed it does it almost nonstop if I turn left and go slow, but not when turning right. I checked the CV's and they seem ok, no up/down play. I usually don't hear it at higher speeds.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No, he said he's bone stock.

You are almost at 100k miles. It's about time to inspect and replace bushings. My car always squeaks, creaks, and clunks, but I love it. I bought an 04 for the raw experience. 04 is the worst year if you want comfort. Do you think you can get us a video of it?

Since I'm not there to check the car out myself, I'd recommend taking some time and checking every component underneath. I had a similar noise when my end links would hit the bars (can't think of the exact term right now) in the rears, but that was done on purpose on my end. So, check for metal on metal rubbing.

Another possibility is one of the bushings is so worn out that it's causing metal to rub somewhere. We can only speculate for now.

Give us an update after you check more thoroughly!

Alin, ok good to know, I'll be inspecting the entire front end today. I will post a video, maybe that will help. I'm with you on the '04, it was the only year I wanted because of the raw experience and it's what I considered a true driver's car compared to the newer ones (I still like the newer ones, just not as "pure" imo as the '04-05) and I honestly love the harsh ride, it's about the same or better than my old volkswagen. Was just thinking it would be nice to eliminate the squeak if possible. The clunk doesn't bother me as much as the squeak does though.

And I would still like to meet up with you soon so you can check my car out and point out any issues or preventative maintenance I should perform (plus I'd like to see your STi too).

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, I will update this thread today with my findings and a video.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hahahahaha!!! Is that an STi or a mattress?! :tard: :fuji: Reminds me of this:

Check where the spring mates to the strut. If it's not it, it will help eliminate guess work.

Haha too funny, totally forgot about that album. I caught a cold bug or something this weekend that kicked my ass and laid me up for a couple days, so didn't get anything done to the car. I may forego the suspension for now, I need to get the rest of the car ready for the trip. If I get a chance I'll spray some lubricant down onto the spring perch area where it meets the strut, and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the laugh Alin! :)~

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
My friend who is a technician stated that it could also be the ball joint. Just another thing to inspect.

I got the valve cover gaskets in yesterday and will be doing them Saturday (hopefully). Are you about 4-5 hours away from Cleveland? I wouldn't mind coming over Sunday for a bit as long as I get the STi out of the garage.

My friend who is a technician stated that it could also be the ball joint. Just another thing to inspect.

I got the valve cover gaskets in yesterday and will be doing them Saturday (hopefully). Are you about 4-5 hours away from Cleveland? I wouldn't mind coming over Sunday for a bit as long as I get the STi out of the garage.
Yep I will be around Sunday, come on over! Plenty of garage space here, and tools. I'll send you a PM.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I didn't get a PM from you. Either way, I haven't even looked at the STi this weekend, so that's pretty much a no go this weekend.

Did you find out what's causing the creak yet?

Well shit, that is strange I know I sent a PM giving you my address and phone number, etc, but yeah just checked my sent messages and sure enough it doesn't show any sent. No big deal, been getting the car ready for the trip this weekend. Haven't really poked around at the suspension yet, maybe during this week I can take a closer look. It's more of an annoyance issue and if need be I can live with it till we get back in a couple weeks.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Whether the creak bothers you or not, you fix it or not, we need to know what's causing it! :banghead:

:rofl:

I'm sure you're not the first one to have this squeak!

Yes I know :lol: It's something I need to do, hoping today after work I'll have some play time to poke around and check it out. Look for updates/pics later today! :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yes I know :lol: It's something I need to do, hoping today after work I'll have some play time to poke around and check it out. Look for updates/pics later today! :tup:

It seems I'm not the only one who is lazy/doesn't prioritize the car/or whatever else the case may be. :lmao:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You ever find out what the cause was? [MENTION=6308]carcus[/MENTION]