GR 2009 GR WRX STI Project

jgr208

This is my first project car. A 2009 WRX STI with 90k on the motor. Bought it with 3 mud flaps, a side fender badge missing, and an agency power intake not knowing if ever tuned for it.

My first order of business was fixing the mudflap (ordered 4 new ones), put on a nameless axle back exhaust (rusted bolts are the worst), ordered JDM black STI side badges, an AEM intake, and a cobb AP to run a stage 1 OTS AEM tune.

The next paycheck then went to a turbo XS downpipe, a nameless mid pipe, and a tun at PSI in Lansdale by drunkmann (great tuner BTW). In the middle of the tune he realized the fuel pump was going bad so had to get that replaced and the car tuned again, also before the next tune installed a kartboy short shifter (word of advice put a bag over the roll pin so you don't lose it like I do.

With the OEM turbo still on the finished tune ended up reaching 295whp and drunkmann suggesting that the turbo be replaced since it was tapering off a lot and he didn't want to push it to the edge since it was near EOL. Second time he saved my car's butt before major damage had been done.

Now in June I am getting ready for the next stage below is the list of parts that will be installed on July 11th at PSI:
FP blue turbo
ID 1050x
IAG AOS
Kartboy bushings
Radium Engineering FPR and rails
ETS TMIC
SMY gauge cluster
AEM AFR
Defi boost gauge
JDM fog lights
TIAL 38mm EWG
Grimspeed uppipe for EWG
air pump delete
Grimspeed EBCS
new drunkmann tune

I will also be having the firewall cracks fixed as well (so excited for no more squeak).

For the future with the higher levels of power, I will now start saving money to replace the stock block with a forged block (maybe IAG) and a FMIC (ETS). After I then max out the blue I will probably get a dom along with TGV deletes.

jgr208

Some pics and videos

EGqKBcC.jpg

LGygBfU.jpg

[video=youtube;p8Rr5cj-3Ys]-3Ys[/video]

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How much did you get it for?

?Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Excited to see future updates! What cars did you have in the past?

jgr208

Excited to see future updates! What cars did you have in the past?

I had a 2013 WRX and 2016 STI both never went beyond a catback for mods. Also I now currently daily a 2017 Impreza.

Also got the tune made 342whp and 325tq on a conservative tune. Next part is getting a PSI built block and upgraded clutch. Then will do things here and there to max out the turbo. After the blue is maxed out will probably move to an FP Red or Black along with FMIC set up.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] [MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=5193]War_Panda04[/MENTION]

I run an old deadbolt 20g which I s no longer made haven?t even got it dialed yet. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I didn't really know anything about the FP Blue, so I just looked it up and it seems like a perfect amount of power. It's almost as if a GT3071 and GT3076 had a love child. :lol: That said, I think it's a good choice but I'm not sure about an intercooler. Over the years, I've reconsidered my choice to go with a FMIC. While there are surely some benefits, I think that most people (myself included) choose a FMIC when they should choose a *large* TMIC. The general rule of thumb is, a TMIC can support at least a GT30 sized turbo. Even bigger turbos can effectively use a TMIC when E85, Water-Meth or high octane fuel is used. So personally, if I had to do it all over again, I'd strongly consider getting the biggest top mount I could find without having to remove anything or modify the engine bay for fitment.

You may already know this, but just in case, I'll elaborate... A top mount has the benefit of acting as a large intake plenum from which the engine has nearly immediate access. A front mount on the other hand, adds so much volume that you suffer from turbo lag as the turbo has to refill all the volume of the front mount and and the associated plumbing after each bypass valve dump.

If you live in a very hot area or plan to race the car periodically, you may still want a front mount to mitigate heat soak issues. If that is not the case, then a large top mount would probably be best. Though it's worth noting that when sitting in traffic, it's a good idea NOT to stand on the gas when the light turns green. Wait until you are moving at a reasonable pace, getting fresh air flowing over the intercooler to lower the intake charge temperature before you give it WOT. This is the safest course of action to prevent detonation from intercooler heat soak induced knock.

Last edited:

jgr208

Hmm seems like I should eliminate the black than since mine is already able to reach the power faster than the black. Thus I guess I will go with a psiproformance built block and the spoolinator since they also sell that as well.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Also to add to the TMIC discussion. You can minimize the heat soak drastically with a few things:

1) downpipe heat wrap
2) turbo blanket
3) turbo heatshield
4) TMIC gold DEI heat tape

Adequate airflow before getting on the throttle is pertinent as [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] noted. :tup:

jgr208

Ok so I decided never mind to the spoolinator trying to decide if I wanna stay stock location on a ball bearing black or zero, or if wanna go with an ets 6266 rotated.

Which would be more suitable for weekend car street driving that won't be tracked much?

Either way will be going fmic with next turbo.

jgr208

got some black friday deals from prime motoring, FP black journal bearing and an ETS FMIC. Now all the money-saving effort will go towards a stage 2.5 IAG block closed deck.

jgr208

Well the STI project may be ending soon, thinking I might pay off the rest of the car sell and get an evo 8/9 and have that as a new project.

jgr208

Whaaa? Why!

Basically more power for less money due to the stronger engine. Can drop in an fp red without having to drop in a new engine and spend like 8k for 500whp. Also since on the still was gonna be putting on elh so no point in keeping for the boxer rumble as that will gone. But hey I said probably done since I might change my mind again lol.