Spt intake question

06stibslw

Hey guys it's been awhile. I installed a spt intake on my car that I got used from a friend. I plan on getting a tune shortly for it but just put it on to see how it would run just light driving around town. I have checked my afrs and they didn't really change much from my protune I got last year with my stock box. I was wondering if anyone had hesitation or bogging ESP in the 2 to 3 thousand rpm range when the temps get hot from sitting at a stoplight for example. Now I did do a Ecu reset prior to install so it's still learning but as I said will be getting another protune so it won't be left this way. Thanks

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm assuming you have an 06 STi?

There isn't too much difference between the stock and SPT intakes. I believe the SPT was even an option from the factory. Normally, you'd want to tune with every single engine modification when it comes to push, bang, blow, squeeze.

Just don't go WOT everywhere you drive and you should be fine. Did you notice any difference in MPG's?

06stibslw

I think the ecu is still learning it I'm definitely going to get a tune for it. I don't have a heat shield on it so I was just wondering. I havnt noticed Any difference in the mpg. After just cruising around it is getting better but at first it was bogging a bit coming from a stop in that rpm range. I of course will not go wot until my next tune I have quite a bit of work done built motor ewg 1000cc injectors cams etc so I know the tune is the safest best way to make the most of this mod thanks for the reply [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION]

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The SPT intake is the only intake that you do not need a tune for. It is considered a factory component. The issue you describe sounds like the infamous stumble. There are many theories as to why it happens but it is largely tuning that will solve it in most cases. That should be your first step before you go changing or adding hardware. I have seen many setups develop the stumble after changing the injectors. I was able to alleviate the stumble with a combination of increased fuel pump duty, load compensations and proper MAF calibration in almost every instance with the exception of a couple stubborn animals.

06stibslw

Thanks for the reply holy. All other mods that I have were protuned already because I did it all at once I havnt added anything since last year just this intake yesterday. So it is pretty common for that slight stumble? It seems to have learned and cleared up pretty decent. Like I said I will definitely be getting tuned but I wanted to know if I could go without it for a little since I read the spt was able to not that I like the idea of doing that permanently. Thanks for the advice :tup: [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]