5x100 to 5x114.3 conversion

MCScoobaru

Ok so I am no where close to doing this. Just a curiosity question. Could I take the hubs to a machine shop and get them to cross drill and spline holes in 5x114.3 pattern with my 5x100 holes still there? Like a universal rim is? What is the benefit of doing a whole hub swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I dont see why you couldnt do it. But you'd have to switch to wheel bolts (vs studs) to make it a quick wheel change. Otherwise pull hubs and reset studs each time?

MCScoobaru

I dont see why you couldnt do it. But you'd have to switch to wheel bolts (vs studs) to make it a quick wheel change. Otherwise pull hubs and reset studs each time?

Just get the new holes splined and run some stud through there. Hammer the old 5x100 studs out. That?s what I was thinking atleast

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Just get the new holes splined and run some stud through there. Hammer the old 5x100 studs out. That?s what I was thinking atleast

Yeah I mean i think you can have a hub with both sets of holes. But you wont be able to "easily" swap between bolt patterns. If you have to take off the hub anyways to get it machined, why not just swap to a proper 5x114.3 hub?

MCScoobaru

I thought it used a different type of bearing. I haven?t done too much research on it. I just thought of this idea and was wondering. I was under the assumption that you needed to swap hub, knuckle, and suspension to do a ?proper? swap

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I thought it used a different type of bearing. I haven?t done too much research on it. I just thought of this idea and was wondering. I was under the assumption that you needed to swap hub, knuckle, and suspension to do a ?proper? swap

Yeah, proper swaps are expensive because you need the suspension, hubs, and knuckles. From what I recall, all GD Brembos fit on either knuckle type.

MCScoobaru

Yeah but are the other knuckles stronger? What?s the benefit of swapping everything over than just getting the hubs drilled?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I don't know if the knuckles are stronger. I do know that the wheel bearings are bigger/stronger/more durable on the 5x114, which is why Subaru made the switch. That and more wheel options.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I was all prepared to do this on my 04 STi before I sold the car. I spent about $1000 on all the parts I needed except coilovers. To do a proper swap you need the following...

Rear hub and bearings - this can be purchased as one assembly. The existing rear knuckles are good
Front knuckle, hub and bearing
05-07 front sti struts or coilovers
Tone ring spacers - allows you to use exiting axles
Rotors front and rear

The advantage to this is the bearing and hub assemblies are considerably stronger than previous years. But that is realy the only advantage

MCScoobaru

Ok so upon further investigation. Drilling the hubs and splinting then will not work on the 5x100 hubs. The 5x114.3 pattern is right in the middle of the holes for it. So it?s just be 5 half circles cut into the edge of the 5x100 hub. So don?t waste your time doing this. Do it legit or buy the adapters through licmotorsports.com

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok so upon further investigation. Drilling the hubs and splinting then will not work on the 5x100 hubs. The 5x114.3 pattern is right in the middle of the holes for it. So it?s just be 5 half circles cut into the edge of the 5x100 hub. So don?t waste your time doing this. Do it legit or buy the adapters through licmotorsports.com

If you're looking for a set for 5x100, there's a guy in Cali giving them away for free. The catch is that you have to pick them up. :(

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk