E-Tuning Service questions

Hello everyone you all have been great comrades in my car help in the past. I have a question about e-tuning service. I have a friend who asked me "If I bought a map from cobb for my exact mods, then I had a friend who has the same modification setup, could I download the map I bought from cobb to give to my friend? I also would be charging them." They said to me. So could anyone help me out? I would not see a problem with this, you don't need a license to sell any sort of aftermarket ECU map?? It would be up to the buyer to trust that sort of map; to understand that it could blow their car up if it was not the exact setup, correct?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Are you talking an off-the-shelf map? I thought those were "free" if you have an AccessPort. Accessports are locked to one vehicle, so you cant share accessports and hence the tune.

If you're talking an individual map through a custom tune, that tune will likely be locked to your accessport serial number. Even with a 2nd accessport, I don't believe you can use the map.

Are you talking an off-the-shelf map? I thought those were "free" if you have an AccessPort. Accessports are locked to one vehicle, so you cant share accessports and hence the tune.

If you're talking an individual map through a custom tune, that tune will likely be locked to your accessport serial number. Even with a 2nd accessport, I don't believe you can use the map.

OK perfect exactly what I needed to know. It would be the case, a friend is trying to sell the map, couldn't you use Accessport Race and copy the map and flash it to a friend? It is a custom tune. but regardless you couldnt make a copy for yourself for back up reasons? or what if you got a new accessport? Thanks [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

Grinder34

Track Monkey
OK perfect exactly what I needed to know. It would be the case, a friend is trying to sell the map, couldn't you use Accessport Race and copy the map and flash it to a friend? It is a custom tune. but regardless you couldnt make a copy for yourself for back up reasons? or what if you got a new accessport? Thanks @Grinder34

If he sold the accessport and the map with it, it may work? I'm not positive if it's locked to a VIN or the AP serial #, but that would be the difference.

Upgrading/Replacing accessports is trickier with locked tunes. I'm sure there's a procedure, but not sure what it is.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
From what I recall, when you unmarry an AP, maps DO NOT get deleted. They're locked by serial number, not by a car's ECU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk