Hello from Delaware

New member obligatory introduction...:lol:

Proud new owner of a Black 2015 STI. Bought CPO with ~25k miles a few months ago and am ready to void the warranty. First STI for me, second Subaru, had a BRZ for a couple years (fun car, too slow). Trying to learn all the ins and outs of this car before I go too deep into modding it.

Currently the car is bone stock with just a Cobb AP stage 1 tune. Just ordered a Cobb DP, Cobb heatshield, PTP Turbo Blanket, and a Crawford V2 AOS. Going for a slight boost in power and improved engine 'safety' at this point. Also have coming some fresh Motul oil for the engine/trans/rear diff and some filters.

I look forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully take advantage of the etuning services at some point.

2mg4mpv.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome friend.

Thanks for taking the time to join us.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think the engine still has the same old oil pickup, and if that's the case, you may want to add an aftermarket one to your shopping list. They're prone to failure, which can make an engine go boom in a few seconds if/when it does fail.

oil pickup install: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/4274-Easy-Oil-Pickup-Install
regarding warranty: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-i-do-to-it-without-jeopardizing-the-warranty

And really, really, really, dont forget about suspension mods (particularly swaybars!)

Funny you should mention this as I have been reading about the oil pick up for the past 3 hours. will be ordering a killer B pickup today. on that note, is there any real benefit to throwing the baffle/windage tray in while I'm in there?

Definitely going to do something with the suspension at some point. just need to figure out what I want to do.

I think the engine still has the same old oil pickup, and if that's the case, you may want to add an aftermarket one to your shopping list. They're prone to failure, which can make an engine go boom in a few seconds if/when it does fail.

oil pickup install: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/4274-Easy-Oil-Pickup-Install
regarding warranty: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-i-do-to-it-without-jeopardizing-the-warranty

And really, really, really, dont forget about suspension mods (particularly swaybars!)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Funny you should mention this as I have been reading about the oil pick up for the past 3 hours. will be ordering a killer B pickup today. on that note, is there any real benefit to throwing the baffle/windage tray in while I'm in there?

Definitely going to do something with the suspension at some point. just need to figure out what I want to do.

If you're already going to have the pan dropped, its certainly a perfect time to do it! But I dont really recall what the major benefits are. Better drainage in sustained high-g corners (drifting)? I think it's really solving a problem 99+% of the people DONT have. That being said, the only downsides i see are 1) headache of installing (you'll already have the pan down) 2) price (it's not that expensive) and 3) extra weight. (it will increase car weight fractionally...bad, but also lower CG fractionally...good).

So, if you want to, why not?!

If you're already going to have the pan dropped, its certainly a perfect time to do it! But I dont really recall what the major benefits are. Better drainage in sustained high-g corners (drifting)? I think it's really solving a problem 99+% of the people DONT have. That being said, the only downsides i see are 1) headache of installing (you'll already have the pan down) 2) price (it's not that expensive) and 3) extra weight. (it will increase car weight fractionally...bad, but also lower CG fractionally...good).

So, if you want to, why not?!

Ordered the killer b pick up and windage tray last night.

For your recommendation on sway bars, what sizes do you think would be good? from what I have read, the 15+ already comes with quite beefy sway bars (24mm front, 20mm rear). I dont know that I really want to go much more than that as I have read any stiffer comes with a compromise in traction as it will try to 'lift' the inside wheel more than it needs to. I may just upgrade the endlinks to something adjustable so I can fine tune the stock bars a little, if that makes sense?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here! I NEED to know the impressions going from a BRZ to an STi!!!! I'm in the opposite boat that you are in. BRZ/FR-S/S2000. :D

Oh, and post pictures of the BRZ! :ty:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here! I NEED to know the impressions going from a BRZ to an STi!!!! I'm in the opposite boat that you are in. BRZ/FR-S/S2000. :D

Oh, and post pictures of the BRZ! :ty:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! Don't get me wrong, I loved the BRZ. The handling was amazing and the car just felt right. It just desperately needed a turbo and I wasn't ready to get that deep into modding it. I did the basic stuff like full exhaust and OTS tune along with some whiteline bushing kits. Comparing it to the STI, the BRZ was just so much more nimble on the twisty roads. The STI has plenty of grip and definitely handles well, but not quite in the way that I could just flick the little BRZ around. I knew this would be the case when buying the STI, being much larger. I definitely love the extra power out of the box that the STI offers. For me at this point in time, I feel it was the right decision to move to an STI. But I can almost guarantee you I will own another BRZ/FRS/FT86 sometime in the future. Once I'm ready to throw a whole bunch of money at it to make more power :lol:

This is the only picture I can find at the moment. Pretty much bone stock.
se39nb.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I wouldnt worry too much about a stiffer rear swaybar lifting the inside wheel. Unless you go HAM with a HUGE bar and stiff springs. There are adjustable options to let you tune it a bit.

So I have been doing a lot of research lately, been a slow few weeks at work :lol:. Wanted to post my roadmap to a reliable 400whp. This will be done in ~6 'stages', not necessarily conforming to traditional stage/stage + designations, but laid out in a way that helped me organize my plans/budget. This will likely take a couple years to complete in its entirety as right now it is totaling over $20k haha. I already have parts on hand to complete my stage 2 plans (will be installed in next few weeks) and will be purchasing the 'handling' mods soon. Brakes will probably need to be upgraded at some point as well. If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions please feel free to share.

Stage 2 ~275 whp:
Cobb downpipe
Cobb Heatshield
Crawford AOS
PTP Turbo Blanket
Killer B oil pickup/windage tray
Cobb SS Cat Back
Cobb shift knob
Cobb OTS Stage 2 Map

Handling Mods:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
Whiteline 22mm RSB
Specialty products inc adjustable RLCAs
Alignment

Stage 3 ~300whp:
Cobb Fuel sys package
Cobb SF Intake
Cobb turbo Inlet
Cobb OTS Stage 3 Map

Stage 3+ ~325whp:
Grimspeed TMIC
Cobb XLE BPV
Cobb Fuel pressure sensor
GS TMIC Ypipe
Cobb EBCS
Custom Protune

Stage 4 ~350whp:
IAG stage 2 Short Block (rated for 650 chp)
IAG TGV Delete
IAG 3mm phenolic spacers
South Bend stg2 clutch
ACT prolite flywheel
Perrin engine/trans mounts
Custom Protune

Stage 4+ ~400whp:
Blouch Dom 1.5xt-r
Killer B Holy header
Tial 38mm WG
GS wastegate bracket
Custom Protune

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How does the car feel in stock/stage 1 form?

How much was the Cobb shift knob? Depending on what you spent, you should've looked at the Premium IGOTASTI shift knob. :tup:

You're definitely starting off extremely well with the selection of mods that you chose for stage 2! Also, nice selection of tires that you chose! :tup:

For stage 3, make sure you get the Cobb SF intake with the heat shield. I'm glad you chose a BPV as a large majority of people choose a BOV. Like I said earlier, extremely strong selection of mods. Technically, you don't need a TMIC at the power output that you put down. The stock one is more than adequate.

If you become a Platinum member, you'll be able to see my journal. I've had an 04 STi since 2010. :D I went crazy with the suspension mods along the way. :lol:

How does the car feel in stock/stage 1 form?

How much was the Cobb shift knob? Depending on what you spent, you should've looked at the Premium IGOTASTI shift knob. :tup:

You're definitely starting off extremely well with the selection of mods that you chose for stage 2! Also, nice selection of tires that you chose! :tup:

For stage 3, make sure you get the Cobb SF intake with the heat shield. I'm glad you chose a BPV as a large majority of people choose a BOV. Like I said earlier, extremely strong selection of mods. Technically, you don't need a TMIC at the power output that you put down. The stock one is more than adequate.

If you become a Platinum member, you'll be able to see my journal. I've had an 04 STi since 2010. :D I went crazy with the suspension mods along the way. :lol:

I definitely enjoy the car in stock/stage 1 form, but who doesn't want a few extra HP :lol:.

The cobb shift knob was $70, expensive but it just looks so nice :D. Didnt realize IGOTASTI had a shift knob or I definitely would have considered it. The Cobb SF I'm looking at comes with the heat shield/box, to stay in line with Cobb's stage 3 setup so I can run OTS map. Trying to not have to pay for pro tuning any more frequently than I really need to, even though I will be leaving power on the table. Had the larger TMIC in there as more of a precursor to hitting 400whp, not so much that it will be needed at the power level when I will be installing it. Are you saying the stock TMIC is good for my 400whp end goal? Ill probably end up going much deeper into suspension mods eventually, but that will be a long way off.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
From what I recall, the stock TMIC, BPV, and intake are supple enough for 400whp. I'm not sure if things have changed in recent years, though. Even with the stock intake, you'll just need a new inlet, assuming the Dom has a 3" cold side opening.

From what I recall, the stock TMIC, BPV, and intake are supple enough for 400whp. I'm not sure if things have changed in recent years, though. Even with the stock intake, you'll just need a new inlet, assuming the Dom has a 3" cold side opening.

Even if the stock TMIC can handle 400whp, I dont see how it could hurt to go bigger. should cool more efficiently and be more resistant to heat soak. I just hate that the aftermarket TMICs are all so damn heavy haha. The stock BPV I have read can fail and leak with bigger turbos so its more of an insurance upgrade. Intake is mostly to stay in line with Cobbs recommended mods to run the OTS stage 3 map and it cant really hurt to have more flow.

The Dom i was looking at has a 2.4" (OEM size) inlet as I was trying to avoid having to buy any part twice (new turbo inlet for the turbo upgrade) and it seemed like the increased size wasn't that important for the power levels I hope to achieve. I havent 100% nailed down what I want for the turbo though, as I may end up going dom 3.0xtr for a little more overhead, but sacrifice a little spool speed and low end power.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'll let others chime in their opinion as well. Two more things that I suggest that you add to the list:

1) DEI gold heat tape for the TMIC
2) DEI titanium heat wrap on the downpipe (Also on the headers when you eventually get them)

:tup:

I'll let others chime in their opinion as well. Two more things that I suggest that you add to the list:

1) DEI gold heat tape for the TMIC
2) DEI titanium heat wrap on the downpipe (Also on the headers when you eventually get them)

:tup:

Already put some gold tape on the bottom of my cobb heatshield, will probably throw some on the intercooler and possibly intake box as well once I can get over the obnoxious bling factor. :lol: DP is off at the shop right now getting cerakote glacier black coated right now. not sure If I am going to wrap it as well. headers will most likely get the same treatment when I get to that point.

wrcdbc.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dude, I'm so envious. I wish I had started off the way you are right now back in 2010. However, back then I was a dumb ass 18 year old kid who didn't know any better. Have you done a lot of research or what? How did you know to start off this way with mods?

Dude, I'm so envious. I wish I had started off the way you are right now back in 2010. However, back then I was a dumb ass 18 year old kid who didn't know any better. Have you done a lot of research or what? How did you know to start off this way with mods?

Like I said before, Its been a very slow few weeks at work :lol:. I have been researching pretty much nonstop trying to figure out what direction I wanted to go with. I probably would have just riced the shit out of it back when I was 18 but now I'm older and (slightly) more mature. Now I just need work to pick back up so I can bank some overtime to pay for all this :D

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Props to you, man. I know everyone else is going to agree with me that you've definitely done adequate research with the list that you have.

If you have any questions whatsoever, ask them! If I don't know the answer, someone else will! There are no stupid questions, at least not on this forum. We are willing to help you with every step of the way. I love this forum so much for this reason.

:bigtup:

Props to you, man. I know everyone else is going to agree with me that you've definitely done adequate research with the list that you have.

If you have any questions whatsoever, ask them! If I don't know the answer, someone else will! There are no stupid questions, at least not on this forum. We are willing to help you with every step of the way. I love this forum so much for this reason.

:bigtup:

Thanks! good to hear that I am heading down a good path. Being my first STI there has definitely been a ton to learn and I'm sure there will be plenty more to learn going forward.

I have definitely noticed this is one of the more friendly and helpful forums I have been on. It is pretty quiet around here though :lol: