Hello from Delaware

Just wanted to drop back in to say that the STI is gone... decided to upgrade :D

1F2E3AA5-283B-4402-B363-5AF8529764BF.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow! Hell of an upgrade! Like [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] said, we're definitely going to need A LOT of information! :lol:

Only thing I?m truly disappointed with is that they don?t offer a manual haha. Love the car so far though. TONS of torque. One of my favorite features is the exhaust actuator flap. Super quiet when I want it to be but in sport mode she screams and pops like an aftermarket exhaust. Much more comfortable suspension than the STI in normal mode, but stiffens up very nice in sport. Like a lot of early dyno runs are suggesting, mfg power rating is way understated.

So so what if she?s really a BMW, I love her anyway :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Did you buy a new one or a used one? I always ask this: what's your fuel economy when driving civilized (if such a circumstance occurs :lol: ).

Aside from no manual transmission available, is there anything else you don't like that someone who doesn't own the car wouldn't know about?

Bought it new. Haven?t seen any used floating around yet. Only on my second tank of gas and not much civilized driving haha. I?ve been averaging in the low 20s mpg but cruising on the highway seems to be around 30. Just too tempting to bury the accelerator.

Aside from the tranny, then only major gripe I have is the blind spots are pretty obnoxious. Toyota?s blind spot monitoring helps but I don?t completely trust that yet. There are also some weird quirks to the info/entertainment system that I just need some time to get used to.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
With how many miles did you buy it new? Shouldn't you be breaking the car in the first 1,000 miles before pushing the accelerator past ~40%? I've never had a brand new car, but I imagine the first 1,000 miles would be easy driving with variances in the RPM range up to 4,000 (based on what I've read).

Wow, if you're going to hover around 30 MPG with civilized driving, that's impressive. Especially if you'll be in the low 30's. The BRZ's/FR-S' hit low 30's, but you've got about triple the power!!!!

Also, if you don't mind, can you start a journal for your Supra and get us some nice pictures as well? :D

6 miles on the clock when I test drove. 10 when I signed the paperwork. From what the dealer said, I was the first person to drive it not in ?transport? mode which limits speed to 25mph. There is a 1500 mile break in period I believe, but that is more to avoid constant rpm, sustained high rpm and no launch control. I would say I?ve been going easy on it but for sure have hit redline a few times :D

the supra is pretty much everything I wanted my brz to be back when I had it. Except to the trans of course. The only thing I liked better in the brz was the steering feel. The brz was by far the most precise steering car I?ve ever driven. So much road feel from the front wheels through the steering wheel. Not that the Supra is bad by any means.

Ill try to get a journal going sometime in the next few days. Gonna get some better pics once the weather clears up tomorrow hopefully

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh, crap! I forgot you had a BRZ!!! That's intriguing that the BRZ has a better steering feel. Looks like I'm in for a very nice treat when the time comes to get one!

I'm looking forward to the journal and pictures!! Give us some more impressions as well the more time you spend behind the wheel!

Are there any hidden features or tidbits in the owner's manual that you yourself wasn't even aware of?

It?s a premium edition so it has all sorts of crazy bells and whistles. Wireless apple CarPlay and wireless phone charger. Both seats are fully power adjustable including lumbar and adjustable width bolsters. Engine start/stop at red lights. Heads up display on the windshield.

The engine also has some pretty cool features that I wasn?t aware of before like an air to water inter cooler that is molded into the intake manifold. It also has the exhaust manifold cast into the head so there are just 2 short runners from the head to the twin scroll turbo.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Woah, woah, woah!!!

Wireless phone charger in a car??? PICTURES!!!
AWIC??? PICTURES!!!

I'm sure you're well aware by now, but we require pictures! :lol:

I've never understood the engine auto start/stop idea... Why does it exist? What's the intended purpose? Do any manual transmission vehicles have this feature or is it in automatics only? What if I'm in a situation where I need to WOT/launch from a stand still?

The start stop I think is only in automatics. It?s mainly to save fuel when sitting at idle. As soon as you take your foot off the brakes it starts back up. It can also be turned off manually or by switching to sport mode.

This video gives a pretty in depth look into the new engine and about as good of a look at the intercooler as your gonna get.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Does the engine auto start/stop actually save fuel in, let's say, 45-60 seconds of idle intervals? Wouldn't it just burn out the starter faster?

This is so fucking interesting! That oil cooler is pretty sick too! This is the first time I've visually seen an electronic fuel level sensor. Why is the timing chain on the back of the engine?? Is this the first time this has ever been done??

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 154

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Dang, I'm jealous!

I've never had a new car, let alone a monster like yours. Other than aesthetic, what are the differences between the BMW/Supra, and how/why did you go with the Toyota version?

As for break-in...i know many recommend babying it, but the metal pieces that are gonna come off are gonna come off one way or another, right? It'll eventually get hot, see redline, etc... so you're just getting all the metal-metal polished early as I see it. Unless the mfg actually fills it with a different (thicker?) break-in oil, i suppose? Do they do that? But I've never owned a new engine, so who knows what I'd actually do if it were my car!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Also, does the new Supra NOT have a BPV or BOV?!

Yeah I imagine the start stop add some more wear and tear but I?m sure they account for that. When it restarts it is almost instant as well. No clue why they put the chain on the back, seems like a maintenance nightmare. shouldn?t ever really need to mess with it though.

The bmw got a pretty significant hp boost over the Supra but I imagine that?s mostly in the tune. Otherwise they are pretty much the same mechanically. The bmw is also about $10k more and personally I prefer the look of the Supra.

Dont think theres any special break in oil as the first oil change isn?t until 10k according to Toyota. I won?t be letting it go that long but that?s their maintenance schedule.

Didnt even realize there is no bov/bpv but found some interesting info from the Supra forum:

Blow-off valve
A blow-off valve is not used in current models. Pressure peaks, caused by sudden load shedding due to the inertia of the turbine of the exhaust turbocharger, can be avoided by careful tuning of the Digital Motor Electronics software. With foresighted charging pressure control, pressure peaks can be predicted and reduced by quick adjustment of the electrically-adjustable wastegate valve. Assisted by a delayed load control of the Valvetronic (in the minimum lift direction) or the throttle valve (in the closed direction), the remaining charge air which is produced can be routed to the exhaust emission system via the engine. This form of control thus prevents the exhaust turbocharger shaft from being exposed to excessive torsional stress due to high pressure peaks.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, there is an electronically controller motor, DME, built into the wastegate?! Am I the only one who is awed by this shit?! :lol:

What's peak boost set at in the stock tune?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 143
The way I understood it was that the DME(ECU) can actuate the wastegate and valvetronic systems to essentially eliminate the need for a BOV. Yeah I am definitely in awe of the tech in this car. Worlds different than the sti.

Honestly no clue what stock boost is as unfortunately there is no on board boost gauge. The only sort of reference I can find online says about 11psi

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The way I understood it was that the DME(ECU) can actuate the wastegate and valvetronic systems to essentially eliminate the need for a BOV. Yeah I am definitely in awe of the tech in this car. Worlds different than the sti.

Honestly no clue what stock boost is as unfortunately there is no on board boost gauge. The only sort of reference I can find online says about 11psi

How the hell do the VA STi's have an electronic boost gauge, but the Supra doesn't?! :rofl: