Hello from Delaware

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I haven't been very active in the past couple of weeks as I've been working on some things. There's quite a few of us on here, but not all of the people post. However, there are a handful of us that reply pretty quickly. Then again, it is the Super Bowl weekend. :lol: They'll chime in eventually, when they're not hammered. *cough* [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] *cough* :lmao:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
:lol: I don't drink that much these days. Too many other responsibilities and so forth. I'm pretty busy today, but I'll try to look through this thread and get back to you later on.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Brakes will probably need to be upgraded at some point as well. If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions please feel free to share.

What are your goals for brakes? Do you track the car?

The scariest thing was when my brakes went out at 100+ mph into turn 10 at summit point race track. I ended up upgrading to some StopTech calipers and rotors up front, along with titanium shims, stainless brake lines, quantum brake ducts, etc...

But if you're not planning on totally abusing your brakes on the track, you can probably get away with the OEM brembos. My recommendations will be much better if I know how you plan on pushing the car!

The scariest thing was when my brakes went out at 100+ mph into turn 10 at summit point race track. I ended up upgrading to some StopTech calipers and rotors up front, along with titanium shims, stainless brake lines, quantum brake ducts, etc...

But if you're not planning on totally abusing your brakes on the track, you can probably get away with the OEM brembos. My recommendations will be much better if I know how you plan on pushing the car!

I do plan at some point to take the car to the track but for the most part it is just for blasting around some twisty backroads. dont think i will need to go the full upgrades like you have but probably upgrade to a more fade resistant pad, Motul RBF 600 fluid, SS lines and possibly slotted (not drilled) rotors. I havent really done the appropriate research on the topic yet though so may end up going more or less extreme with it. If I ever loose brakes at 100+ I will definitely go for the full kit along with a fresh change of underwear :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Holy shit. Need an underwear change after that one?
[MENTION=6557]Defpo[/MENTION] I'd probably recommend Hawk HPS pads. What do you think about that [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] ?

Holy shit. Need an underwear change after that one?
@Defpo I'd probably recommend Hawk HPS pads. What do you think about that @Grinder34 ?

It's between the Hawk HPS or Cosworth Streetmaster pads. Have ready very good things about both, but the cosworths are a little cheaper. still have some life in the factory pads though so going to burn them up first :D

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It's between the Hawk HPS or Cosworth Streetmaster pads. Have ready very good things about both, but the cosworths are a little cheaper. still have some life in the factory pads though so going to burn them up first :D
Haven't heard of the Cosworth before!!! :ty:

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
For pads, just dont go cheap, or track-only and I think you'll be fine. (track-only dont work well on the street!)

Swap out brake fluid to something good. Here's some reading (link)

Rotors: I can go any which way. Some of the corvette guys get the NAPA blanks and use them as consumables. Others go with two-piece floating designs with intricate aero fins, etc... Obviously the better ones are better, but they're also a lot more expensive.

Airflow: This can be improved a lot! Extra air to the brakes will reallly help

Step one would be just removing the dust protector.

Step two would be getting additional cooling air in the vicinity. I just did a quick google, and there's this: http://www.boombaracing.com/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-brake-cooling-deflector/
You can also do the front half of a full brake duct system, and just point the hose towards the rotors.

Then there's a full brake duct system. My half-DIY version really wasn't too expensive. It required a backing plate do accept the brake hose (i used Quantum), and the brake hose itself. And the rest was pretty much $15 from home depot. Some people have used rooducts...i dont know if those are needed on the newer generations. I think i used one, and binned the other? I had a way that didn't require the duct, but I used it since I had it.

Shims. They may be snake oil, but i was going all-in. I got titanium ones for not too much. They help block heat from transferring into the pistons, and therefore the calipers and more importantly the fluid.

Stainless brake lines. factory ones really shouldnt be a problem, but some people complain. My stainless ones came with the BBK, so why not?! Others say that road grit can get into the stainless and eventually cause issues.

Finally, there's a BBK. Probably overkill, and may come with drawbacks in streetability. But dang do they look good!

And then there's the learn to drive better. Some people brake too early and for too long, giving the rotors less overall time to cool.

For pads, just dont go cheap, or track-only and I think you'll be fine. (track-only dont work well on the street!)

Swap out brake fluid to something good. Here's some reading (link)

Rotors: I can go any which way. Some of the corvette guys get the NAPA blanks and use them as consumables. Others go with two-piece floating designs with intricate aero fins, etc... Obviously the better ones are better, but they're also a lot more expensive.

Airflow: This can be improved a lot! Extra air to the brakes will reallly help

Step one would be just removing the dust protector.

Step two would be getting additional cooling air in the vicinity. I just did a quick google, and there's this: http://www.boombaracing.com/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-brake-cooling-deflector/
You can also do the front half of a full brake duct system, and just point the hose towards the rotors.

Then there's a full brake duct system. My half-DIY version really wasn't too expensive. It required a backing plate do accept the brake hose (i used Quantum), and the brake hose itself. And the rest was pretty much $15 from home depot. Some people have used rooducts...i dont know if those are needed on the newer generations. I think i used one, and binned the other? I had a way that didn't require the duct, but I used it since I had it.

Shims. They may be snake oil, but i was going all-in. I got titanium ones for not too much. They help block heat from transferring into the pistons, and therefore the calipers and more importantly the fluid.

Stainless brake lines. factory ones really shouldnt be a problem, but some people complain. My stainless ones came with the BBK, so why not?! Others say that road grit can get into the stainless and eventually cause issues.

Finally, there's a BBK. Probably overkill, and may come with drawbacks in streetability. But dang do they look good!

And then there's the learn to drive better. Some people brake too early and for too long, giving the rotors less overall time to cool.

I like the idea of getting more airflow to the brakes. just now looking at the ducting kit APR makes, while quite pricey, appears that it would be very effective. The rooducts/boomba look interesting but I'm not crazy that they hang below the control arm. seems like its just begging to get ripped off haha

And yes i definitely need to learn to drive better. :lol: Always more to learn...

Grinder34

Track Monkey
The rooducts dont hang down if memory serves.

Looking at the pics of a '15, there good opportunities to get fresh air from by the foglights, or even the closed area on the lower grille. (like this: //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20130524/eze6yhe7.jpg)

If you get some dryer duct in (make sure it's the same diameter as brake hose), you can get under the car and see if there are any good routing options without buying roo ducts. Getting that air into a hole in the fenderliner will help, even if you dont run it all the way to a backing plate.

The rooducts dont hang down if memory serves.

Looking at the pics of a '15, there good opportunities to get fresh air from by the foglights, or even the closed area on the lower grille. (like this: //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20130524/eze6yhe7.jpg)

If you get some dryer duct in (make sure it's the same diameter as brake hose), you can get under the car and see if there are any good routing options without buying roo ducts. Getting that air into a hole in the fenderliner will help, even if you dont run it all the way to a backing plate.

These are the rooducts i saw, maybe you were referring to something else. these seem like they would work, but kinda sketchy.
IMG_20170131_142751.jpg

Ill have to take a look around and see if there's a way I can pipe in some dryer hose from the foglight similar to the APR kit without buying their $7-800 kit :D

Stage 3+ ~325whp:
Grimspeed TMIC
Cobb XLE BPV
Cobb Fuel pressure sensor
GS TMIC Ypipe
Cobb EBCS
Custom Protune

Stage 4 ~350whp:
IAG stage 2 Short Block (rated for 650 chp)
IAG TGV Delete
IAG 3mm phenolic spacers
South Bend stg2 clutch
ACT prolite flywheel
Perrin engine/trans mounts
Custom Protune

Stage 4+ ~400whp:
Blouch Dom 1.5xt-r
Killer B Holy header
Tial 38mm WG
GS wastegate bracket
Custom Protune

So after some thought, I have condensed these 3 phases into 2, mostly to save on 1 round of tuning. Also some minor changes to the parts, stronger clutch, heavier flywheel, mishimoto tmic, cusco engine mounts.

Stage 3+ ~325whp:
Killer B Holy header
Mishimoto TMIC
Cobb XLE BPV
Tial 38mm WG
Cobb Fuel pressure sensor
Cobb EBCS
Custom Protune

Stage 4 ~400whp:
South Bend stage 3 daily clutch
ACT Street Lite flywheel
IAG stage 2 Short Block
IAG TGV Delete
IAG 3mm phenolic spacers
Cusco/perrin eng/trans mounts
Blouch Dom 1.5xt-r
GS wastegate bracket
Custom Protune

I am also considering putting a significant delay on going to Stage 4 to focus more on drivetrain/suspension/brake mods. I think at ~325 whp on a good tune, I should be safe for a little while on stock internals. So far I'm looking at:

Ohlins Road and track coilovers
APR brake duct kit
Hawk HPS pads
EBC Ultimax blank rotors
Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
PST Carbon Fiber driveshaft (if i can source a clean used one at a good price, not sure that its quite worth $1100 full retail)
Misc bushing kits

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What do you do for a living? This list isn't exactly budget friendly. Don't get me wrong, they're top notch quality parts. I'm just curious. Do you have a family, mortgage, or any other expenses? You can PM me if you don't want to respond here. :tup:

I install, repair and maintain utility scale wind turbines. Travel most of the year so my STI is my toy on the occasions that I get to go home. No wife/kids or mortgage and minor other expenses (company covers everything travel related) so fairly high disposable income.

2my3f38.jpg

What do you do for a living? This list isn't exactly budget friendly. Don't get me wrong, they're top notch quality parts. I'm just curious. Do you have a family, mortgage, or any other expenses? You can PM me if you don't want to respond here. :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I install, repair and maintain utility scale wind turbines. Travel most of the year so my STI is my toy on the occasions that I get to go home. No wife/kids or mortgage and minor other expenses (company covers everything travel related) so fairly high disposable income.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2my3f38.jpg
You are living the life. How old are you?

Do you have any pictures of your work?

You are living the life. How old are you?

Do you have any pictures of your work?

Yeah it?s a pretty sweet gig. I am 28, worked a bunch of shit jobs before and kinda fell into this with a bit of luck. Traveling all the time can get stressful but I love working on the turbines. Going to Australia this April for a few months to put up some new turbines. :tup:

x22dz8.jpg

fumdmq.jpg

htwu94.jpg

fumdmq.jpg

i55dlc.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That's epic, dude! When you coming out to the midwest? We can meet up with [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] !

That's epic, dude! When you coming out to the midwest? We can meet up with @Batmobile_Engage !

Ive been spending most of my time in the northeast but I?m sure eventually I will make it out to the Midwest. Plenty of turbines out there haha. Will definitely let you know if I?m out that way.