"Driver mod" vs. Tires

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Which is more important between these two?

-"Driver mod"
-Tires

Will a proficient driver on Ling Long Ting Tong tires outperform a novice and inexperienced driver on Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Which is more important between these two?

-"Driver mod"
-Tires

Will a proficient driver on Ling Long Ting Tong tires outperform a novice and inexperienced driver on Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires?

I vote driver mod. It'll carry over to every other car you ever get, and every new set of tires.

My analogy is thus....who do you think would set a better lap time in an F1 car: Lewis Hamilton on rain tires or you on full slicks?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I agree with Grinder. But at the same time, I cringe when I see (and there's a TON of it in my area at least) people put a lot of time and money into their cars, yet put half-assed all seasons on. That's like training a sprinter for the Olympics and sending him to compete wearing wooden clogs.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I agree with Grinder. But at the same time, I cringe when I see (and there's a TON of it in my area at least) people put a lot of time and money into their cars, yet put half-assed all seasons on. That's like training a sprinter for the Olympics and sending him to compete wearing wooden clogs.

I agree with you as well.

However, slow cars can be fun! For me at least driving at 45mph at 10/10ths on a twisty road in a slow car is so much more enjoyable than either being at 3/10ths in a GT2RS, or needing to go 80 mph (where so much more can go wrong) to be at 10/10ths.

It's hard to NOT want 4Gs in the corners, and 1000hp but being at the limit, throttle steering...or drifting...or whatever it is, is pretty much as enjoyable when slow. I'd want my tires to meet a minimum set of qualifications, but after that I'm pretty open. That's why I had the Hankook V12s not the RS3s on my car. It needs to hold up under performance driving, but I'm not doing anything with a timer (or prize money), so speed is irrelevant. If I get passed by a Miata, but I'm smiling, I'll call that a win.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Definitely. I remember driving a borrowed Miata for a few weeks, years ago when the Batmobile was under the knife. I've never had so much fun with 100 hp.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Definitely. I remember driving a borrowed Miata for a few weeks, years ago when the Batmobile was under the knife. I've never had so much fun with 100 hp.
Not everyone fits in a Miata! :mad:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It was a convertible. You'd fit. All you'd need is some goggles for the bugs, since your face would be above the windshield :rofl:

sniperkill

It was a convertible. You'd fit. All you'd need is some goggles for the bugs, since your face would be above the windshield :rofl:

And don?t drive with your mouth open else you?ll have some crunchy snacks for later, and a few soft ones to boot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver mod for sure!!! Most people can't push the limits of even a standard all season tire. And for those of us who can, I bet the lap times don't differ that much on any ultra performance summer tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk