Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Very nice! I don't want it to take longer than it needs to, but take a few photos and do a brief write-up if you have the time. :tup:

I'll try to get some good pictures as we go along. I am hoping to have my Dad come over and knock out the brakes and installing gauges in one day. Might be a little ambitious since I am a noob on both fronts.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'll try to get some good pictures as we go along. I am hoping to have my Dad come over and knock out the brakes and installing gauges in one day. Might be a little ambitious since I am a noob on both fronts.

I'm trying to remember... Do you daily drive your STi or can you have it out of commission while you work on it for a few days?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I'm trying to remember... Do you daily drive your STi or can you have it out of commission while you work on it for a few days?

It can be down as long as needed. So I am not trying to do all the work in one day so it back on the road, I just know if I don't buckle down and sit aside the time, it will drag out...kind of like how I still haven't put in my shifter bushings :roll:. I did reflash the stage 1 tune and change the oil on Sunday though. Baby steps haha.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You're capable of installing the rotors, the pads, pressing in the calipers, lubing the shims, and installing the stainless steel lines (albeit, I've never done SS myself, but it seems simple enough) all by yourself. The only thing you won't be able to do yourself is bleed the brakes, unless you have one of those fancy machines that does it for you (which aren't cheap). As always, just look at a PROPER youtube video or a DIY forum post to gauge an idea.

The only obstacle you should have with gauges is the first time you wire up the lighting portion to the fusebox (unless you have electrical knowledg, unlike me) depending on how you want them to function. I believe I wired mine to the headlight switch so they turn on only at night. The rest of the wires and hoses will just be routed how you want them to be. My vacuum hose and other lines route through the dash to the passenger foot well where the firewall rubber harness resides and connects the engine bay (on the GD).

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Looking at ordering a turboback exhaust from Jordan in the coming weeks. Undecided on which direction to go.

Downpipe
Option 1: MAPerformance Catted DP (higher quality, made in USA, small cat questionable if it will pass testing)
Option 1a: Above DP with GESI CAT adds $275 making it $275 more than the Invidia
Option 2: Invidia Catted DP (larger cat, may pass emissions test)

Catback
Option 1: MAPerformance Mufflered w/ SS tips (again high quality, made in USA)
Option 2: Invidia R400 w/ SS tips
Option 3: Borla Type S w/ SS tips (good quality, made in USA)
Pricing is similar among the 3. It would seem that the sound level is R400, MAP, Borla (loudest to quietest). Tips on all 3 look nice with the R400 being largest (which I like). I've heard some clips of the R400 that have some pops and other sounds I don't care for, but people pair that exhaust with a lot of different DPs, so it is hard to say what caused it (most likely catless DP which is a non-issue for me).

I think I would like to use the same company for both, but I'm open to mixing (worked really well with my Mustang years ago going with an SLP x-pipe & Flowmaster 44 catback).

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Been MIA for a while due to some tragic circumstances. My younger sister was murdered 3 miles from her Air Force base. I won't get into all the details in this thread, but it has been a tough few weeks. She was 24 and about to be honorably discharged and home for Xmas. My parents are obviously devastated. So please know that I haven't gone away and can be reached if you send me a PM or tag me. I will do my best to provide some updates on my car as I find the time to work on the winter projects I have lined up.

The next project I have will be posted in the off-topic thread as it is not car related (building a dining table for the wife to host Thanksgiving). My head hasn't been screwed on real straight, but if I get out of my own way and think to take some pictures as I progress it should be a fun thread to follow if you are into DIY home projects.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Looking at ordering a turboback exhaust from Jordan in the coming weeks. Undecided on which direction to go.

Downpipe
Option 1: MAPerformance Catted DP (higher quality, made in USA, small cat questionable if it will pass testing)
Option 1a: Above DP with GESI CAT adds $275 making it $275 more than the Invidia
Option 2: Invidia Catted DP (larger cat, may pass emissions test)

Catback
Option 1: MAPerformance Mufflered w/ SS tips (again high quality, made in USA)
Option 2: Invidia R400 w/ SS tips
Option 3: Borla Type S w/ SS tips (good quality, made in USA)
Pricing is similar among the 3. It would seem that the sound level is R400, MAP, Borla (loudest to quietest). Tips on all 3 look nice with the R400 being largest (which I like). I've heard some clips of the R400 that have some pops and other sounds I don't care for, but people pair that exhaust with a lot of different DPs, so it is hard to say what caused it (most likely catless DP which is a non-issue for me).

I think I would like to use the same company for both, but I'm open to mixing (worked really well with my Mustang years ago going with an SLP x-pipe & Flowmaster 44 catback).

Do you NEED to have a cat or is that just a personal preference? I really like the combo I have on the Batmobile: Invidia V2 catless downpipe (with divorced wastegate divider) mated to a Cobb SS 3" catback. For me at least, it's perfect.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Do you NEED to have a cat or is that just a personal preference? I really like the combo I have on the Batmobile: Invidia V2 catless downpipe (with divorced wastegate divider) mated to a Cobb SS 3" catback. For me at least, it's perfect.

Technically yes I do need one to pass inspection (visual and hooked to computer). To be honest, I prefer having one anyway (less fumes and better for the environment). I'm no tree hugger by any means, but we do try to do what we can within reason.

I am considering going with a full COBB turboback so that I can just run the OTS map for now. It is safe and will be fun while I begin planning the full motor build that will come when my motor gets tired/blows down the road. People seem pretty happy with it and it sounds nice. My only concern is that I have heard that the DP design does not play well with higher hp builds. I don't really want to replace it later, but I suppose it isn't that big of a deal since I will get a good bit of money back if I need to sell it.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
My only concern is that I have heard that the DP design does not play well with higher hp builds.

I don't know if this is still the case with today's production from Cobb, but from the generation that my Cobb exhaust comes from, their 3" DPs necked down to 2.5" in the throat, which restricted flow and limited how much power you could tune for. They always claimed it was designed that way on purpose to help control boost creep, but I always felt that creep could be worked out by a good tuner. I'd probably look into that and see if that's still the case before buying a Cobb DP. One of the things I love about the catback, is the look. It's not some big gay, coffee can, fart tube which seems to attract the wrong kind of attention and look too ricey. Not only that, but I've had it installed since 2010 and the finish (that you can see, if behind the car) is still in reeeeeally good shape. Once in a while I scrub it with some metal finish cleaner with a shop rag, but it just looks waaaay to good for it's age.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Not sure how anyone runs the N1 race exhaust and likes it for more than a day.

Ahhh it's really easy. On Day 2, when you wake up completely deaf, you'll really appreciate the exhaust note. :rofl:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn, that's tragic. I can't imagine how I'd react in that circumstance.

As long as you do due diligence and research, you really can't go wrong with modifications and tuning as long as you do it right. New, used, branded, or unbranded parts (disclaimer: to an extent and depending on the part), they're all going to do the same thing.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Holy crap man. I'm so sorry. That's brutal, terrible, awful. I'm not sure any words from me/us can help comfort you through this, but know that if there's anything I/we can do, that we'll be there. If you want to talk, I'm here. If you want to talk about literally anything else, I'm also here for you.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] , any new updates on your ride?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I half ass installed an oil gauge and wideband if that counts? (I installed the new gauge cluster surround and fished the wires behind the cluster). Next step is to see where I can go through the firewall. Was easier on the "less refined" STi's. Other than that I slapped on the winter wheels. My dad will be coming to do the brakes, rotors, and lines sometime this winter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I half ass installed an oil gauge and wideband if that counts? (I installed the new gauge cluster surround and fished the wires behind the cluster). Next step is to see where I can go through the firewall. Was easier on the "less refined" STi's. Other than that I slapped on the winter wheels. My dad will be coming to do the brakes, rotors, and lines sometime this winter.

Pictures next time you get a chance! :tup:

What winter tires do you have? Have you driven in snow yet? If so, how have they performed?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Dunlop winter sport. I think they are trash personally, I've not been impressed. But they get the job done.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Well after enjoying my car for a whole year I've got some Subaru noises...Yay! It sounds to me like the front endlinks are shot. I reached out to Jordan @DefinedPerformance to get his thoughts and we landed on new Kartboy front endlinks and sway bar bushings for the oem front bar. Pretty inexpensive way to see if this is the issue. Beyond that I guess I will be looking at struts. With only 50k miles and the kind of low speed noises I am getting I am pretty sure the endlinks will take care of it. Fingers crossed.