Likes Likes:  195
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

1. Top Of Page | #171

User Info Menu

Re: Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASTi View Post
    What an awesome pic!
    Thanks, I made a B&W version for my desktop background at work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00645_edited2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	7831

15 GBP STi

2. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Alin liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #172

User Info Menu

Continuing to help keep Jordan's business going...

Bought slotted rotors, street pads, SS lines, fluid, and the SMY dual gauge pod cluster surround yesterday. I've helped my Dad do brake pads on drum and disc brakes before, but never had to do any brake work on my own car so this will be a good learning experience. I'll do plenty of reading and YouTube watching before jumping into the project, but if anyone has any specific pointers or knows of any special tools needed for a 15, it would be nice to get them ahead of time. All in was around $650 shipped which I thought was pretty damn good.

15 GBP STi

4. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #173

User Info Menu

1) I've never actually used caliper spreaders, but probably should have. It makes life a lot easier than trying to pry with something like a screwdriver, while not scratching the pistons or tearing any boots.

2) If you're doing everything yourself, a pressure bleeder is handy.

3) Also you'll want some sort of brake fluid catch can. You can DIY those with some cheap hose and a water/gatorade bottle, but you dont want to get started without that!

I know (at least on the GDs) the caliper bolts were prone to seizing. Not sure if that's still an issue.

Arent there special brake line wrenches? Not sure if they're needed or a nice-to-have.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

6. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #174

User Info Menu

1) I've never actually used caliper spreaders, but probably should have. It makes life a lot easier than trying to pry with something like a screwdriver, while not scratching the pistons or tearing any boots.

I'll talk with my Dad on this one, not sure if he has some or has a trick he uses since i know he has done plenty of brake pads.

2) If you're doing everything yourself, a pressure bleeder is handy.

I'll look into this one.

3) Also you'll want some sort of brake fluid catch can. You can DIY those with some cheap hose and a water/gatorade bottle, but you dont want to get started without that!

I think the hose and bottle method is all we have ever done in the past.

I know (at least on the GDs) the caliper bolts were prone to seizing. Not sure if that's still an issue.

I think mine will be okay but I will spray them days in advance.

Arent there special brake line wrenches? Not sure if they're needed or a nice-to-have.

I believe there is a special wrench (I may already have it, but I will look into it either way to be sure)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Thanks bud!

15 GBP STi

8. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Alin liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #175
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

1) You got an amazing deal on rotors, pads, lines, fluid, and the SMY cluster! Wow! You're going to love the SMY cluster! I have it and it looks like the car came with it out of the factory. Very subtle, non-intrusive, and positioned ina great spot for visibility.

2) Dealerships use an automated motored device that essentially does everything for you in terms of bleeding the brakes. I've seen it done on other cars, but never had it done on mine. For our cars, we've always used the hose and bottle method you mentioned. It's a two man job, but it never fails.

3) I'm assuming caliper spreaders are the tool that is like a vice that pushes the pistons back in? Ok, it is. I have a tool like this:

4) I'm going to recommend you always use anti-seize. You may not need it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm not sure how the VA models are, but GD and GR are both prone to seizing. Just use the anti-seize for peace of mind, and it's very inexpensive.

Please post pictures when you swap everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

10. Thanks Eagleye thanked for this post
    Likes Eagleye liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #176

User Info Menu

Yeah, hose & bottle OR power bleeder.

Also, I think (technically) you need to bleed ABS module, which requires a computer. Without it you could still have air and/or "old" fluid in there.... Or you could bleed, engage the ABS (lock up on gravel), and bleed again, and be good. I think...

12. Top Of Page | #177
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Yeah, hose & bottle OR power bleeder.

Also, I think (technically) you need to bleed ABS module, which requires a computer. Without it you could still have air and/or "old" fluid in there.... Or you could bleed, engage the ABS (lock up on gravel), and bleed again, and be good. I think...

Is the ABS Module a thing on newer cars? I've never heard of it before.

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

13. Top Of Page | #178

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    Is the ABS Module a thing on newer cars? I've never heard of it before.
    Maybe its just a thing on OLDER cars. I know about it from reading about brake bleeding on my 2000 BMW

14. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #179

User Info Menu

I just did some quick googling, and I think ABS module/pump is still a thing.

16. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #180

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    I just did some quick googling, and I think ABS module/pump is still a thing.
    I'll look into this. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube so if it isn't covered in them I won't worry about it a little old fluid.

15 GBP STi

18. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast