Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Grinder34

Track Monkey
For wheels, go on various forums that have the same wheel bolt pattern. Obviously NASIOC is gonna have deals, but the Volks I got came from a RSX site. I think MR2, some of the infinitys, etc... can have similar wheel sizes, just gotta research. You can get some AMAZING deals on used wheels/tires if you're dedicated and a little bit patient.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
For wheels, go on various forums that have the same wheel bolt pattern. Obviously NASIOC is gonna have deals, but the Volks I got came from a RSX site. I think MR2, some of the infinitys, etc... can have similar wheel sizes, just gotta research. You can get some AMAZING deals on used wheels/tires if you're dedicated and a little bit patient.

Yeah I'll check out the used sources for sure, I've seen a lot of bad deals (scams) on the other forums though so I will probably stick to something local or ebay where I have some buyer protection.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah I'll check out the used sources for sure, I've seen a lot of bad deals (scams) on the other forums though so I will probably stick to something local or ebay where I have some buyer protection.

I was pretty gun-shy when i bought my Volks. I ended up using an escrow service, and didnt have any problems. When i bought my second set, I just did paypal cuz he was friends with a bunch of forum members and...well...i was willing to take the risk.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Name change from Hawkeye to Eagleye. Just making everyone aware.

Still very much on the fence in regards to what mods will get done this spring. I'll be sitting down with the wife sometime soon to discuss just how much of our return I can blow on car goodies :tard: She always tells me I don't need permission for things, but having these conversations always helps to keep everyone happy! I started a full mod list as a google doc and shared it with her. She probably didn't count on it containing thousands of dollars worth of junk, but it will all be done over a fairly long period of time...so maybe she won't go into shock.

Here is the newest breakdown:

2019 Wishlist Parts - Option 1
New Konig Ultraform Wheels
Summer Tires
~$1,590

2019 Wishlist Parts - Option 2
Accessport
Wideband Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge Filter Adapter Plate
Cubby Gauge Holder
Grimmspeed AOS
~$1,225

Future Wishlist Parts:
Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
Stage 2/3 Clutch Kit
Larger Fuel Pump (Walbro)
Larger Injectors
Forged Pistons & Rods, Bearings, Head Studs (when a rebuild is needed)
Larger TMIC (when a rebuild is needed)
Fortune 500 Coilovers (or similar)
~$:lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Congratulations, Hawkeye has evolved into Eagleye! Does this mean that this will become your new license plate as well?

Do you NEED new rims and tires? I would necessitate option 2 over 1. Monitoring the health of your car seems more important. What tires do you currently have wrapped around your stock rims?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My vote is definitely for Option 1!!!

Form AND function! Seriously, first thing I've done to every car I've ever had is wheels. And every time, it makes me smile. This morning I spent the whole walk to the car admiring the wheels from a distance and i bought them 4 years ago!

But try to look for a local deal on craigslist, nasioc, etc... I'm telling ya, I got my Volks for $1000 shipped and my current wheels/tires with full almost full tread for $1200 shipped (tires alone are >$1300 new). That leaves enough left over for the AOS!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Congratulations, Hawkeye has evolved into Eagleye! Does this mean that this will become your new license plate as well?

Do you NEED new rims and tires? I would necessitate option 2 over 1. Monitoring the health of your car seems more important. What tires do you currently have wrapped around your stock rims?

:rambo:

But yeah, what type of tire on there now, and any tread left?

Eagleye

Tinkerer

I'll be waiting to see which plate I get, I had wanted to change my name on here since I got the 15 but finally requested it.

No I don't need the wheels and tires, but I also don't need anything from option 2 at this point. Option 2 is certainly more useful, but being that it is more broken up I can always ask the wife for some of those things as gifts and can get them when I get a work bonus/overtime pay, etc. Since I haven't done anything to the car performance wise and it is under warranty still, I'm leaning toward the wheels. It is the more expensive option though, so who knows. This is why I post it on a forum and think and discuss it for entirely too long before buying. During just the last few days I have focused my wheel and tire search and narrowed it to a couple of options.

Do I have to buy the TPMS sensors with my new wheels? $150 to tell me if my pressure is low when all I have to do is my normal pre drive walk around seems dumb. I know it will throw a light, but does anyone know if it is an annoying blinking/beeping alarm, or if it is something I can turn off?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
My vote is definitely for Option 1!!!

Form AND function! Seriously, first thing I've done to every car I've ever had is wheels. And every time, it makes me smile. This morning I spent the whole walk to the car admiring the wheels from a distance and i bought them 4 years ago!

But try to look for a local deal on craigslist, nasioc, etc... I'm telling ya, I got my Volks for $1000 shipped and my current wheels/tires with full almost full tread for $1200 shipped (tires alone are >$1300 new). That leaves enough left over for the AOS!

Currently I have decent tread life left on the Dunlop Winter Sport tires that came on it. They suck, but are okay in the cold/snow, so they will stay on as the winter setup. The Konig Ultraform is 20lbs so about the same weight as stock but I am moving up to a 19in wheel. I get the benefit of slightly reduced wheel gap without lowering and the flat gold color looks pretty cool on the galaxy blue. It is a 1 piece flow forged wheel and seems to get pretty good reviews from people who own it. I can currently get them and nice tires for $1,500 mounted and shipped.

Way over saturated picture and a different color blue, but you get the idea...kinda.

441506-5-2018-wrx-sti-subaru-stock-stock-konig-ultraform-gold.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
:rambo:

But yeah, what type of tire on there now, and any tread left?

You're talking to someone who has 2-3 sets of rims AND tires for each car! :banghead:

I'm just looking from an omniscient point of view for someone who has only one set of wheels. My opinion may change depending on the tires he has on and as you mentioned, amount of tread. However, I think the tire type is more important than tread, assuming it's not 3/32nd. Even so, option 2 has about $300 left over...

I've bought my Dunlop Sportmaxx's between $80-$180...(The farthest I've driven to get a deal was to Chicago for a set costing me $80. I AM AN OUTLIER!!! I AM THE EXCEPTION!! I love to cruise, so I look for deals within about a 500 mile radius from Cleveland, OH.) I'm not sure where in PA he's located, but a quick search brings this up in Pittsburgh. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/wto/d/pittsburgh-set-of-4-dunlop-sport-maxx/6802706469.html

The listing is a month old and he hasn't sold them... I guarantee this dude will accept $200. Although that's not the best deal, it's still an amazing deal. Also, if he lied and they're not 7/32nd tread, then you offer even less. You're not getting brand new tires, but it's very tough to beat for the prices that these tires are going for.

My most recent purchase were these Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus in 215/45R17 with 9/32nd tread for my daily driver for $80. They're almost brand new! They cost $667.96 shipped if you were to buy them new... :rofl:

00z0z_g7HiKLYAO3H_1200x900.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Currently I have decent tread life left on the Dunlop Winter Sport tires that came on it.

Okay, so you're going to need summer tires anyways, unless you want to ruin the winters and/or not have any fun.

When you get some max performance summer tires on it, your jaw's going to drop!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Regarding TPMS: fuck them all! I may be an outlier, though. I ALWAYS check oil level, coolant level, and tire PSI EVERY time I take my car out. Again, I may be more anal than others. I believe the orange tire icon with an exclamation point just remains lit up on your dashboard.

Why did you decide on a 19" rim? Don't only the 2018+ STi's have the 6 pot brakes up front and require a 19" rim? How are the roads where you live? You CANNOT get away with 19" rims in Cleveland. I'm not sure if others are like me and get the fuck out of the way when they see a pothole. I guarantee 2018+ owners who hit potholes are having a bad time.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah, might want to investigate an 18" with a slightly taller tire if you want to close the wheel gap. Go look up some pics maybe, or hit up a subaru meet. Definitely more comfortable ride with 18" and less chance of bending a rim.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
In the future, when you stiffen up the suspension, you're going to wish you had more rubber. I used to have 18's and 40-sidewalls. After moving to Michigan, I couldn't take it anymore and ended up going to 17's with a 45-sidewall, which made a big difference. I grew up in PA, so I know the condition of your roads all too well. :lol:

Not trying to discourage you, just offering food for thought...

Eagleye

Tinkerer
@Alin @Grinder34 @Batmobile_Engage

Stock (245/40/18) is pretty comfortable everywhere I drive. I was going to go to 245/40/19, keeping the same profile. Would I not retain the same comfort? I recognize this will impact my speedo, but I could have that corrected.

And while I may stiffen my suspension at some point, I do not see me dropping height more than 1/2in or so. I enjoy not busting my car up over everything that sticks up or having to plan how to get in and out of driveways and businesses. I'll actually gain a half inch ground clearance and lose a half inch of wheel gap if I do go 245/40/19. The tire fitters will not recommend it for clearance reasons which doesn't make a lot of sense since you can run stock tire diameter and lower your car an inch without causing rubbing or other issues???

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ah if you're keeping everything else the same, the ride quality shouldnt deteriorate. It'll affect your speedo for sure, but get out your gps and learn the correction vs speedo and just keep that in mind.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh yeah, but you might get rubbing. It's not about the height, its about turning. Next time you park the car, crank the wheel all the way left or right before you get out of the car. Look to see how much clearance is between the outer edge of the tire and the fender liner front/rear. Now subtract 1/2" on each one, and imagine if the springs were compressed at all, like they might be if you were actually driving. THAT'S the rubbing you get.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Ah if you're keeping everything else the same, the ride quality shouldnt deteriorate. It'll affect your speedo for sure, but get out your gps and learn the correction vs speedo and just keep that in mind.

Okay cool, I didn't think there would be another consideration there, but I'm not very knowledgeable with wheels/tires. I'm learning a lot this week but still have a ways to go. My expertise was always on the racing side growing up with a dad who did (and still does) drag race