Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Oh yeah, but you might get rubbing. It's not about the height, its about turning. Next time you park the car, crank the wheel all the way left or right before you get out of the car. Look to see how much clearance is between the outer edge of the tire and the fender liner front/rear. Now subtract 1/2" on each one, and imagine if the springs were compressed at all, like they might be if you were actually driving. THAT'S the rubbing you get.

Okay, I'll check that out. Height wise I should be good (no different than lowering your car), but it could be a problem when turning on the front and rear part of the wheel well since I am taking away space there as well.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You should research as to what changes are made between the 2015 and 2018 model years. I'm assuming it's the exact suspension, fender liners, etc, but you can never be too sure. Also, seek out people who have documented that they are running a 19" wheel setup in their 2015-2017 STi's.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
You should research as to what changes are made between the 2015 and 2018 model years. I'm assuming it's the exact suspension, fender liners, etc, but you can never be too sure. Also, seek out people who have documented that they are running a 19" wheel setup in their 2015-2017 STi's.

Thanks, I'm pretty anal about doing that sort of thing. 19s are not an issue, as I've found an entire thread on guys running them on their 2015-2017s. I'll get more serious about my research once I decide for sure whether it will be wheels or the other package of parts I'm doing.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Well...I went ahead and bought an accessport today. So I'm going to put off the wheels. Might do spacers after looking into some other options. Gauges are probably next on the list.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What made you decide to buy the AP?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What made you decide to buy the AP?

Inability to decide on wheels. If I can't find something that makes me really say wow, I don't see the point. I really like the Volk ZE40s but I also really like keeping $3,000...so I'll look for them on the used markets and hope someone bumps their head before posting them at a price under 50% of new haha.

Capture.JPG
ze40-4.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Totally going on memory, those look a lot like the CE28N, which have been around for forever. You can probably snag a pair for cheap if you look for a good deal. Since I've never heard of the ZE40, I'm assuming they're newer and may not have as mature a used market.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Totally going on memory, those look a lot like the CE28N, which have been around for forever. You can probably snag a pair for cheap if you look for a good deal. Since I've never heard of the ZE40, I'm assuming they're newer and may not have as mature a used market.
I think they are similar, I'll look them up later. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I tend to over analyze everything and look at every angle. Given that I have laid out all the mods I wish to do at some point in a neat little spread sheet (yes I'm a dork that makes a lot of lists and spread sheets haha). Anyway, in looking that over I have managed to group mods into chunks that make sense together. This spreads out the expense over time and reduces the need for multiple protunes, alignments, etc.

This leaves me with the following mods to purchasing within the next month or so:
- ProSport Premium EVO Oil Pressure gauge
- ProSport oil filter adapter plate
- Gauge Holder (not sure which yet)
- Accessport - purchased, will be here tomorrow
- Wheel Spacers - purchased, on their way (this will make me happy until used the used Volks I want fall from the heavens)

Now the dilemma...which of the following do I buy with the remainder of my 2019 budget?

DSS Carbon Driveshaft - $876
Cobb or Kartboy Short Shifter & Bushings - $200-250
vs.
Feal 441 coilovers with Swift springs - $1,400
(doing a very minor drop, .50in front / .25in in rear...not sure if this will require adj. rear control arms for camber or not. If I need them +$230)

The coilovers will give me the look I am after since it is hard to find springs for such a small drop. But the driveshaft and shifter will likely be the more "fun" mods to have.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you get the driveshaft, short shifter, and shifter bushings, there's about $300-350 remaining. Why not look for deals on sway bars and end links?!

Then, you can leave the strut/spring/coils for 2020!

Are you going to be flashing Stage 1 tomorrow when the AP comes in?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
If you get the driveshaft, short shifter, and shifter bushings, there's about $300-350 remaining. Why not look for deals on sway bars and end links?!

Then, you can leave the strut/spring/coils for 2020!

Are you going to be flashing Stage 1 tomorrow when the AP comes in?

That's probably a good idea. My wife might appreciate me just leaving them off for now though haha.

In regards to flashing a tune tomorrow...I really want to, but I am going to get all set up for logging first so I can look at numbers before and after the flash. Not sure when it will go on for sure.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That is indeed a better idea! I'd like to see the before and after as well, and I'm certain that I won't be the only one. :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I tend to over analyze everything and look at every angle. Given that I have laid out all the mods I wish to do at some point in a neat little spread sheet (yes I'm a dork that makes a lot of lists and spread sheets haha). Anyway, in looking that over I have managed to group mods into chunks that make sense together. This spreads out the expense over time and reduces the need for multiple protunes, alignments, etc.

This leaves me with the following mods to purchasing within the next month or so:
- ProSport Premium EVO Oil Pressure gauge
- ProSport oil filter adapter plate
- Gauge Holder (not sure which yet)
- Accessport - purchased, will be here tomorrow
- Wheel Spacers - purchased, on their way (this will make me happy until used the used Volks I want fall from the heavens)

Now the dilemma...which of the following do I buy with the remainder of my 2019 budget?

DSS Carbon Driveshaft - $876
Cobb or Kartboy Short Shifter & Bushings - $200-250
vs.
Feal 441 coilovers with Swift springs - $1,400
(doing a very minor drop, .50in front / .25in in rear...not sure if this will require adj. rear control arms for camber or not. If I need them +$230)

The coilovers will give me the look I am after since it is hard to find springs for such a small drop. But the driveshaft and shifter will likely be the more "fun" mods to have.

My vote is coilovers, with some caveats (justification below)! But if you've learned anything from us yet, it's go used! You can probably find a good deal from someone who's going back to stock.

So I've never driven a car with a CF DS, but I just have a hard time imagining it being THAT noticable. I know some people on here have one and say it's great, but its not THAT much weight, it's got a relatively low moment of inertia (compared to a wheel w/tire), and the weight is low down. I can see it being revving faster in neutral, and the revs falling off faster, but do you really rev in N that much? I dont.

So coilovers. Have you done your research? Like lots and lots? Most people get coilovers and never touch the adjustment again. And most people who do try a few settings, probably dont get it "just right" from an engineering perspective...and I'm including myself in that bucket. So do you need the adjustability? A good set of lowering springs might get you where you want to go. If they wont, perhaps a set of fixed-perch struts, especially if they've been specifically paired with some lowering springs?

My serious next move would be swaybars and endlinks. They'll do a lot to shore up body-roll without making the ride very much harsher.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Well...here?s where I stand.

I have a set of whiteline springs sitting in a box currently. I think they are going to give me slightly too much drop though. I could use a saggy butt spacer to combat this issue if it doesn?t settle in level. My plan was going to be to sell them and pick up a set of Feal 441 coil overs with Swift springs. Set my DD ride height and get everything aligned and camber adjusted. At this stage I do not race the car at all, just some spirited driving. Given that, perhaps they are a total waste of funds that could be spent elsewhere. With that said I may just install the Whitelines and see if I like them. I can always go back to stock or order something else.

In regards to sway bars, the stock bars are pretty nice on the 15+ STis. In the driving I do, I don?t experience a lot of body roll so I am not sure they would be warranted.

The driveshaft option is one I am still strongly considering because anyone who did it seems to love it. I recognize it is a lot for a little, but it is a mod that has only upside, which is pretty rare. Honestly if it helps 1st to 2nd shifting and nothing else I will be pleased with the investment. This is the most difficult manual transmission I have driven when it comes to getting 1st to 2nd to be smooth. It is like you have to pause in between shifts or it will get angry. Maybe I just suck at driving :D

In other news, the wheel spacers I ordered arrived...with the wrong stud pitch. So I will be returning them tomorrow, yay. I think that was a sign, so I will not be doing them now.

On a positive note I am typing this from our new mattress. Yep I am even modding our bed. The bug is bad this time.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You've got some decisions to make, to say the least. :lol:

Congrats on the new mattress. :tup:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
After getting the mail today I find myself in a pickle...

Subaru is extending the powertrain warranty to 8years/100k miles due to the rod and main bearing issues. So do I flash the stage 1 map which will likely void that warranty, keep a $500 diagnostic tool, or just resell it to fund other projects until 2023!

The big question I have about all of this is, what is Subaru really going to cover? Seems like it would be easy to blame your spun bearing on a number of other things rather than the bearing itself which I?m guessing leaves you up shit creek as if you didn?t have a warranty. Not sure what to do here, might have to call a Subaru garage to ask how they are anticipating this will be handled.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So lets hope there are no problems down the road.

If you flash, and there is a problem:
a) It's difficult for them to claim that extra power caused powertrain issues due to special variants (e.g. Diamond edition) having similar HP levels. (Few notable exceptions for something like ringlands that lean COULD cause problems)
b) You can flash back to stock (questionable legality/morality)

Read/discuss here as well:

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-i-do-to-it-without-jeopardizing-the-warranty

Eagleye

Tinkerer
So lets hope there are no problems down the road.

If you flash, and there is a problem:
a) It's difficult for them to claim that extra power caused powertrain issues due to special variants (e.g. Diamond edition) having similar HP levels. (Few notable exceptions for something like ringlands that lean COULD cause problems)
b) You can flash back to stock (questionable legality/morality)

Read/discuss here as well:

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-i-do-to-it-without-jeopardizing-the-warranty

I spoke directly with a Subaru Service Manager near me and he spoke very generally, but what I got from it was:
We don't see a lot of warranty work that is deemed a bearing failure.
If your car was ever tuned, Subaru can tell and will deny it. Even if it has been flashed to stock a week/month/year ago.
You likely won't have any problems, a lot of what we work on is tuned to some extent (it just doesn't qualify for warranty work).

So I am just going to flash the Stage 1 map and enjoy. If I continue to take care of the car as I always do, I shouldn't have any issues. Moving on.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That's hell of a warranty for a performance vehicle... :lol:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
That's hell of a warranty for a performance vehicle... :lol:

Yeah it's pretty sad really. My uncle had a good idea in approaching the warranty issue years ago with his 05 sti. I can share through PM if anyone is interested.

When I was shopping for my 15sti I considered a focus rs as well. They include launch control and drift mode from the factory. When you promote your sports cart as able to do this and that bit penalized people for doing those things... it's a bit weak. From what I understand Subaru is decent to work with though, I've never had to make a claim though.