Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Car looked great in person!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think I'm going to have to get some lower gearing. So far I've only ridden around the block once :( and had the little one on the back. A medium hill had me in my lowest gear, and I think the hill on my commute home is significantly worse. Since its got an 11-28T on there now trying to decide if a shimano-approved 11-34T will cut it, or go to a 36T since most people say it'll work. Or go with an 11-40 or 42 with the wolf tooth thingie.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
You'll get stronger quickly too which will help. Going with the big gears at first will make it enjoyable, but I wouldn't be surprised if after a while you switch back.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Congrats on the amazing treadmill deal!!!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
So after attending Boxerfest yesterday, I can't help but dream about the next steps for this car. There is a strong part of me thinking this car is pretty much done and I should just focus on looking for a steal on a project car. So I am not sure what route I will go but I think I will at least go full turboback and tune on the 15 before starting the search for another car. I just know whether I build a car or a motor for the future in the 15, it will be a ways down the road (too many house projects $$$ & too little time).

It is fun to go to those events and dream though. I left wanting a rocket bunny brz, 22b, monster turbo build, and an Ascent...yes an Ascent. After watching a guy destroy the autocross course in one, all the while having room for 19 beverages...I was sold! haha okay kidding on the last one but it was fun to watch the guy rip around the course.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You addict! :lol:

Reminds me of this:

w00gzbjkck431.jpg

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Continuing to help keep Jordan's business going...

Bought slotted rotors, street pads, SS lines, fluid, and the SMY dual gauge pod cluster surround yesterday. I've helped my Dad do brake pads on drum and disc brakes before, but never had to do any brake work on my own car so this will be a good learning experience. I'll do plenty of reading and YouTube watching before jumping into the project, but if anyone has any specific pointers or knows of any special tools needed for a 15, it would be nice to get them ahead of time. All in was around $650 shipped which I thought was pretty damn good.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
1) I've never actually used caliper spreaders, but probably should have. It makes life a lot easier than trying to pry with something like a screwdriver, while not scratching the pistons or tearing any boots.

2) If you're doing everything yourself, a pressure bleeder is handy.

3) Also you'll want some sort of brake fluid catch can. You can DIY those with some cheap hose and a water/gatorade bottle, but you dont want to get started without that!

I know (at least on the GDs) the caliper bolts were prone to seizing. Not sure if that's still an issue.

Arent there special brake line wrenches? Not sure if they're needed or a nice-to-have.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
1) I've never actually used caliper spreaders, but probably should have. It makes life a lot easier than trying to pry with something like a screwdriver, while not scratching the pistons or tearing any boots.

I'll talk with my Dad on this one, not sure if he has some or has a trick he uses since i know he has done plenty of brake pads.

2) If you're doing everything yourself, a pressure bleeder is handy.

I'll look into this one.

3) Also you'll want some sort of brake fluid catch can. You can DIY those with some cheap hose and a water/gatorade bottle, but you dont want to get started without that!

I think the hose and bottle method is all we have ever done in the past.

I know (at least on the GDs) the caliper bolts were prone to seizing. Not sure if that's still an issue.

I think mine will be okay but I will spray them days in advance.

Arent there special brake line wrenches? Not sure if they're needed or a nice-to-have.

I believe there is a special wrench (I may already have it, but I will look into it either way to be sure)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Thanks bud!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
1) You got an amazing deal on rotors, pads, lines, fluid, and the SMY cluster! Wow! :bow: You're going to love the SMY cluster! I have it and it looks like the car came with it out of the factory. Very subtle, non-intrusive, and positioned ina great spot for visibility.

2) Dealerships use an automated motored device that essentially does everything for you in terms of bleeding the brakes. I've seen it done on other cars, but never had it done on mine. For our cars, we've always used the hose and bottle method you mentioned. It's a two man job, but it never fails. :tup:

3) I'm assuming caliper spreaders are the tool that is like a vice that pushes the pistons back in? Ok, it is. I have a tool like this:
71jfUyCwRgL._SX425_.jpg

4) I'm going to recommend you always use anti-seize. You may not need it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm not sure how the VA models are, but GD and GR are both prone to seizing. Just use the anti-seize for peace of mind, and it's very inexpensive.

Please post pictures when you swap everything! :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah, hose & bottle OR power bleeder.

Also, I think (technically) you need to bleed ABS module, which requires a computer. Without it you could still have air and/or "old" fluid in there.... Or you could bleed, engage the ABS (lock up on gravel), and bleed again, and be good. I think...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yeah, hose & bottle OR power bleeder.

Also, I think (technically) you need to bleed ABS module, which requires a computer. Without it you could still have air and/or "old" fluid in there.... Or you could bleed, engage the ABS (lock up on gravel), and bleed again, and be good. I think...

Is the ABS Module a thing on newer cars? I've never heard of it before.