Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Did the condition check out for 200 miles?!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Yes they are pretty nice. They have been sitting for over a year so might take a few miles to get a real feel for how they will be.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Whats the manufactured DOT date stamp on them?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Not sure I already dropped them off to get mounted. I'll check once I have them back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Spring/lower control arm install was a success with my buddy?s help today. Fun day.

B96A2569-D4AC-45E9-B091-62050558D73B.jpg
D82FE3C5-6E79-4752-AE93-94709FD15462.jpg
1F9A9D77-3CCD-4636-917C-908C56AB24DF.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How does the car feel with the springs installed now?!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
How does the car feel with the springs installed now?!

Very good! I am impressed so far. We only did a short test ride to check for rattles and any other issues so I'll be posting my full review in the reviews forum soon. As long as it doesn't settle much I'll be really happy with the ride height.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I read your write up on the Whiteline springs. I LOVE Whiteline products. Always my go-to for anything suspension or bushing related. That said, I was kind of surprised in your feelings on them, due to the spring rate. Originally, I thought the 2015 was considerably heavier than my 04. So I looked it up and it is heavier, but not by much. So that made me even more surprised in those springs. If you recall, I was recently talking about the RCE Yellows I have installed. While I like them, for a street or daily driven ride, I think I should have gone with the Blacks.

Meanwhile, I look up the RCE Yellow spring rate and found out your Whiteline springs are stiffer than my Yellows! So I'm kind of surprised that you thought the ride wasn't too harsh and so forth. The 2015 chassis must be corner balanced much differently than the early GD's.

Do you have sway bars and other suspension goodies, in addition to those springs?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I read your write up on the Whiteline springs. I LOVE Whiteline products. Always my go-to for anything suspension or bushing related. That said, I was kind of surprised in your feelings on them, due to the spring rate. Originally, I thought the 2015 was considerably heavier than my 04. So I looked it up and it is heavier, but not by much. So that made me even more surprised in those springs. If you recall, I was recently talking about the RCE Yellows I have installed. While I like them, for a street or daily driven ride, I think I should have gone with the Blacks.

Meanwhile, I look up the RCE Yellow spring rate and found out your Whiteline springs are stiffer than my Yellows! So I'm kind of surprised that you thought the ride wasn't too harsh and so forth. The 2015 chassis must be corner balanced much differently than the early GD's.

Do you have sway bars and other suspension goodies, in addition to those springs?

2004 stock spring rates vs RCE Yellow vs RCE Black
Front 224 vs 295 (+71) vs 285 (+61)
Rear 194 vs 275 (+81) vs 269 (+75)

2015 stock spring rates vs Whiteline
Front 324 vs 329 (+5)
Rear 296 vs 325 (+29)

You can see why my findings are what they are with the above differences. My uncle put Blacks on his 04 STi and loves them coming from stock and then cheap coilovers.

No I do not have any other suspension work except the adjustable rear lower control arms that I needed for adjusting camber. I will likely add a Whiteline rear sway bar in the future (their front bar is overkill from what I understand).

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Wow! ^ Good info. I guess they aren't so stiff, compared to stock. Except for the rear end of course. That should greatly reduce understeer!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What is the weight difference between the new rims and stock ones?

How are the Dunlop Sportmaxx tires? Have you pushed them yet?

Has it been a week with the short shifter yet? Give us an update on it!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What is the weight difference between the new rims and stock ones?

How are the Dunlop Sportmaxx tires? Have you pushed them yet?

Has it been a week with the short shifter yet? Give us an update on it!

Minimal weight difference. Stock forged bbs wheels come in at a respectable 20lbs.

Haven't had a chance to test the tires, poor weather here.

Update on the shifter coming soon.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What has your fuel economy been like since going Stage 1 and putting the new wheels on?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Went from 24 to 23. Can't complain. Runs and rides smoother now.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Got my alignment done today. Came out nice. Had a nice (rainy) drive home. First time with the new suspension and wheels/tires in the rain. Much improved over stock.
101d8a84183a58b290b5b88e7f88c63c.jpg

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Installed new fender badges last night. Couple of quick cell phone pics below. They match the brakes nicely.

20190423_163909.jpg

20190423_163849.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Those fender badges make a bigger positive difference than most people give them credit for! :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Updates, updates, updates!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Updates, updates, updates!

Not much to report. We continue to have crap weather on and off so I haven't put too many miles on it lately. This past weekend I was busy supporting my wife running her first full marathon. She did great. 4hrs 19mins which I think is pretty good given that she is not a "natural athlete" and doesn't have a lot of time to train. Given the shortage of time we are dropping our gym membership since I got her a treadmill over the weekend. As someone who likes to find good deals you'll like this one...we went to buy a used commercial unit and were looking at about $2k till it was all said and done. I called my buddy hours before buying it and he tells me he has one he just got for free that I can have. I look up the model and it was $5k in 2014...umm yeah I'll take it bud. He didn't want to take anything but long story short I'm only out about $200 for a basically new $5k treadmill. Moving that 360lb monster was a chore though.

Back to the car...at the next oil change I will be installing my oil pressure gauge. Beyond that I don't have much in store before I buy my full turboback exhaust and get a protune. I'm still kicking around going flex fuel now that I have an option that is pretty close by. Not sure I want to get into all of that though. Pretty substantial investment, we'll see.