Street Suspension Setup Questions

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Looking for some thoughts on ideal suspension setup for my purpose:

Car is currently stock, I'm good with the current ride quality and don't want it to get noticeably harsher. That said, I would like to achieve a 1/2in drop and have a little bit better handling. I do not need the ability to change the ride height, dampening, etc. as this car will only see the track a couple of times a year at this point. So...

1. Lower by approx. 1/2in
  2. Slight improvement in handling
  3. No need for adjustable at this point but I'm open to going that route if it makes the most sense
  4. Maintain a similar ride quality

I'm thinking that I want to look into some RCE Black springs and an adjustable rear swaybar, thoughts?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I was going to mention RCE, but it looks like you're well on your path. :tup:

Get endlinks too if you get a sway bar.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I was going to mention RCE, but it looks like you're well on your path. :tup:

Get endlinks too if you get a sway bar.

Do you recommend any particular company/model of endlink?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No. They're all metal and do the same shit at the end of the day, to an extent. I buy used parts 90% of the time, so whatever the best deal I come across is what I go with, regardless of brand. If you buy new, then you'll see the Whiteline brand brought up the most.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I like what I'm seeing above.

I'd suggest (in order of importance towards your goal):

RCE Blacks
Whiteline, adjustable rear swaybar
Whiteline, adjustable front swaybar
Whiteline, endlinks front and rear
Whiteline (kartboy or other), Urethane bushings for sways and endlinks front and rear.

Optional:

Whiteline, swaybar mounts (I can usually only find rear, but you might be able to find front mounts too)
Cusco, rear strut bar with trunk V-brace
Group-N, top hats

Probably unnecessary, but something to research:

Your choice, front strut tower bar
Whiteline, roll center adjustment kit

None of these mods should make the ride quality appreciably rougher, but they will definitely improve handling. And if you get adjustable sway bars, I can help you set them up.

Maybe later on down the road, you'll get interested in adjustable gas shocks :tard:

Last edited:
In my opinion go with adjustable sways and do not go with a roll center kit if you only going half an inch down. That kit is for a inch or more. The stiffer the sways the harsher the ride so when not at the track set to softest setting. If you want quicker turn in set the rear to 1 level higher then front. Really just play with the settings and see what you like. Easy to adjust and your taste will change from time to time. I actually change mine at least a few times a year. Whiteline is a great brand and has good customer support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Thanks for all the responses. Any reason to consider a midrange adjustable coilover setup? It seems like I am always happier with the spring and strut replacement route vs. friends that have gone with coilovers under $1,500 or so.

I went with fortune auto 500 with swift springs and could not be happier. I did a spring rate close to the stock sti spring rate of 8k front and rear and the car rides great. I can adjust the compression setting on the coil overs and sways to get a much stiffer ride for track. I will be buying another set of springs at a 10k or maybe 12k if and when I decide to do a time attack season.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I went with fortune auto 500 with swift springs and could not be happier. I did a spring rate close to the stock sti spring rate of 8k front and rear and the car rides great. I can adjust the compression setting on the coil overs and sways to get a much stiffer ride for track. I will be buying another set of springs at a 10k or maybe 12k if and when I decide to do a time attack season.

That is the setup I was considering if I went coilovers. I wasn't sure which spring rate I would go with but heard good things about that combo.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Decided on Whiteline Lowering Springs, was going to wait but couldn't pass up Jordan's price. I'll slowly piece together some additional components in the future. Any of you guys know (or are able to find) if I need new bump stops, need to modify the existing, or do nothing? Everything I see says they are designed to work with OE struts/shocks and do not mention the bump stops. I'd hate to put it together and then need to take it back apart to change out or modify the stops.

Next on the list will be adjustable front and rear swaybars and endlinks.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
In my opinion go with adjustable sways and do not go with a roll center kit if you only going half an inch down. That kit is for a inch or more. The stiffer the sways the harsher the ride so when not at the track set to softest setting. If you want quicker turn in set the rear to 1 level higher then front. Really just play with the settings and see what you like. Easy to adjust and your taste will change from time to time. I actually change mine at least a few times a year. Whiteline is a great brand and has good customer support.

Boogieman is correct on the roll center kit. But I think RCE Blacks are a 25mm drop in the front and 20mm drop in the rear. So that's why I listed it, but said it's probably unnecessary.

As for ride quality, I'm not sure that sways make the ride much harsher when at a stiffer setting. Maybe a little bit while cornering on shit roads, but straight line ride quality should not really be affected. Do you not find this to be the case, @Boogieman98 ?

IMO, limited shock travel (due to lowering) and stiff springs are the number 1 and 2 contributors to ride quality. Boogieman has more track time though, so he's probably right.

Lots of people like coilovers for obvious reasons. Me personally, I am more of a spring and adjustable gas shock kinda guy. I'm sure others can tell you more about coilovers.

The ride will become more harsh for sure with stiffer sways on public roads as we know they are never smooth. I've played with them a lot to get the best overall feel for the street as well as track. Also you will want to adjust them depending on your tire choice if you decide to track.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I know RCE yellow springs come with bump stops from past personal experience. I don't know much about suspension, so if there are springs that don't require them, then I'm here to learn new things as well! :tup:

You want bump stops on your suspension. You?ll see why when you bottom out without them.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You want bump stops on your suspension. You?ll see why when you bottom out without them.

I'd rather you tell me than experience it on my own! :lmfao:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Not sure if that was directed to me or Alin, but yes I realize I need them, just not sure if they are to be modified as was required with a set on my 06 Mini Cooper S or if they stay stock (I would lose travel right?)