V8 black chrome headlights

MCScoobaru

I got some questions regarding the v8 black chrome headlights vs the usdm. I?ve seen the usdm versions. But I believe I have a set of the black chrome. But I?m not 100%. I don?t know if they?ve just been cracked open and the orange reflectors have been removed. They are a bit darker than chrome. Kinda gunmetal. The housing part number is PP-T20. They also have Japan and Europe voltage and wattage info on the back of the housing. Noting about the states though. They were on the car when I bought it. Are there part numbers I could go by? I can?t seem to find much info about them online. I know they?re expensive in good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCScoobaru

7a79299c7d591ebf6529186f720ea7b2.jpg
6df96c683c012b0dcc31ca69c0a7bcf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of these on mine as well (also were on it when I got it) I dont know if they were DIY or the legit ones but either way the dude before me tried to either clean the film off or ruined the lens doing something else as they are foggy and scratched. I havent had time to try and do some cleaning with a toothbrush type remedy yet but I'm hoping to get them clean because i like the look and as you stated it's hard to find info or replacements that arent priced through the roof.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
The lens repair kits work pretty well if you follow the instructions and take your time. You basically sand out the scratches and then put a layer of clear coat over them to protect against hazing/yellowing.

Any specific one I you recommend? I just ordered some new headlights last night (Spec D black halo projectors **still alittle hesitant about them**) but once they come in I was going to take advantage of the jdm style being out of the vehicle so I can hopefully get then cleaned up real nice. They just add a dirty and weathered look to the car right now. But I do prefer the more stock looking style.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Any specific one I you recommend? I just ordered some new headlights last night (Spec D black halo projectors **still alittle hesitant about them**) but once they come in I was going to take advantage of the jdm style being out of the vehicle so I can hopefully get then cleaned up real nice. They just add a dirty and weathered look to the car right now. But I do prefer the more stock looking style.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-W...mL-6BxKLtYng6Yb84etzYkxLaQAQ87-caAuotEALw_wcB

The Turtle Wax Headlight restore in the Walmart link above worked well for me. It is cheap and worth a shot. No matter which you go with, be sure to follow the instructions or you could make the scratching worse.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the version 8 headlights you are talking about, and it's pretty hard to tell by the pictures, but I think you have factory USDM headlights that had the orange reflectors removed. The orange reflectors have little tabs on them that fit into small slots in the headlight, to hold them in place. If you look really close, you might be able to see the slots (if these are indeed USDM headlights that had the orange reflectors removed).

I'm not at home right now, but maybe later I can look at my headlights and let you know if there's any part numbers or something we can cross reference.

If you want to do any cosmetic work to the lights, let me know and/or check out my member journal, as I've removed the orange reflectors and painted the inside chrome bezel flat black. I should be able to point you in the right direction. In fact, there may even be a thread here somewhere about headlight paint work.