Another HID question. Super newb here.

Hey everyone, I've just purchased a 2005 Subaru WRX STi. First Subie I've owned and I've been without a car for about 5 years so I'm rusty. So I apologize if this a stupid question.. Better safe than sorry. The headlights the previous owner has in the car are not safe to drive at night with barely any visibility. The car is set up stock to run HID's already. My question is can I just purchase newer and better HID bulbs to run off the stock setup or will I need to get and install the whole conversion kit? Not trying to start a fire over here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hey everyone, I've just purchased a 2005 Subaru WRX STi. First Subie I've owned and I've been without a car for about 5 years so I'm rusty. So I apologize if this a stupid question.. Better safe than sorry. The headlights the previous owner has in the car are not safe to drive at night with barely any visibility. The car is set up stock to run HID's already. My question is can I just purchase newer and better HID bulbs to run off the stock setup or will I need to get and install the whole conversion kit? Not trying to start a fire over here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!! What other cars have you had in the past?

Ask any and all questions!! This is how we all learn.

You can just buy bulbs that are either aftermarket with a color close to stock or buy stock bulbs from the deal. (I assume they may be pricey from the stealership) I ran 8000k blue lights before, but nothing beats the stock Xenon color. $20 cheapo bulbs will do as long as they mate correctly to the factory setup. :tup:

Think I'm going with 8000k as well. Had them on a past vehicle and really liked the way they looked and functioned. Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Think I'm going with 8000k as well. Had them on a past vehicle and really liked the way they looked and functioned. Thank you for the advice!

After a while, you'll get tired of them and want to go to stock. I went through that phase. :lol:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Are the lenses cloudy? That can really affect light output. Also, are they aimed properly? You can adjust the angle with the knob by your left knee, but only so much. If it's still pointed down after putting it to the highest setting, you can adjust with a screwdriver under the hood.

Are the lenses cloudy? That can really affect light output. Also, are they aimed properly? You can adjust the angle with the knob by your left knee, but only so much. If it's still pointed down after putting it to the highest setting, you can adjust with a screwdriver under the hood.
Yea I need to replace the lenses, very cloudy. But I got the new bulbs in and it's a world of difference. I've adjusted with the knob and have it just right. Will keep the under the hood adjustment in mind though! Thanks!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yea I need to replace the lenses, very cloudy. But I got the new bulbs in and it's a world of difference. I've adjusted with the knob and have it just right. Will keep the under the hood adjustment in mind though! Thanks!

Have you tried buffing the headlights?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have not, any tips or tricks?

I use metal polish because it actually works, but I wouldn't suggest it. I would assume any of those headlight cleaners from Autozone works. :tup: Or, if you have buffing experience, literally buff the headlights with compound. I don't have a buffer, so I found that metal polish works to remove the top layer of residue. :lmfao:

Slim_Jim

You could also wet sand with about a 2000 grit then polish with a buffer (adjust grit as needed). That will cut the old cloudy plastic off quicker. We did this with a Concorde my dad has.

You could also wet sand with about a 2000 grit then polish with a buffer (adjust grit as needed). That will cut the old cloudy plastic off quicker. We did this with a Concorde my dad has.
I actually thought about this too. Like I said I'll be buying new housings anyways so maybe I'll try a few things now. And when I get new ones I'll give buffing and sanding a go. Perfect the craft and all.

Slim_Jim

I actually thought about this too. Like I said I'll be buying new housings anyways so maybe I'll try a few things now. And when I get new ones I'll give buffing and sanding a go. Perfect the craft and all.

Depending on how cloudy they are, you might even start with about 1000 grit paper. Try each for a few minutes with a trickle of water while sanding (always keep it wet), then wipe dry between grits to see if you notice any difference. Once it looks like the cloudy plastic is gone, start polishing. It will make a huge difference!

Depending on how cloudy they are, you might even start with about 1000 grit paper. Try each for a few minutes with a trickle of water while sanding (always keep it wet), then wipe dry between grits to see if you notice any difference. Once it looks like the cloudy plastic is gone, start polishing. It will make a huge difference!
I'll try and get a picture of them as are tomorrow. Looks like someone tried too and failed.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think you're supposed to use some sort of sealant/protectant after the polishing. I dont remember what though, clearcloat? Regular car wax?