2014 STI best starter mods

TurboSTI

Going to get a stage 1 COBB kit but other then that what would be good starter mods. i also want an exhaust that pops and crackles, what would be the best sounding one. BTW im keeping UEL headers

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My favorite "starter" mods off the top of my head:

Longevity:
Oil Pickup
Gauges
Air-oil separator or catch cans

Looks (and sometimes performance):
Wheels
Springs
Window tint

Sound/Performance:
Cat-back

Performance:
Swaybars & endlinks
Downpipe
Heat-management (eg turbo blanket)
ECU
HPDE (literally problably the best bang-for-the-buck ever)

I'm sure I missed some easy ones

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What would a good sounding CBE be? Ive heard nameless was good but i want pops and bangs too

YouTube will be your friend here. But also a tune MAY be able to help by running rich on liftoff... [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] is the smart one on tunes

My favorite "starter" mods off the top of my head:

Longevity:
Oil Pickup
Gauges
Air-oil separator or catch cans

Looks (and sometimes performance):
Wheels
Springs
Window tint

Sound/Performance:
Cat-back

Performance:
Swaybars & endlinks
Downpipe
Heat-management (eg turbo blanket)
ECU
HPDE (literally problably the best bang-for-the-buck ever)

I'm sure I missed some easy ones

You missed the most important mod of all seat time. The reason for this simple. As you drive the car you will find areas that you will want to improve upon. For example you may find in a corner you might find under steer and want to negate some of it to make the as end slide a little better, or from a dead stop you might want to take off a little more spicy etc. are there any areas that you find you want to improve upon more than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboSTI

I'd like to improve upon acceleration,handling and the sound the most. Id like to stay as cheap as possible while getting good quality parts.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You missed the most important mod of all seat time. The reason for this simple. As you drive the car you will find areas that you will want to improve upon. For example you may find in a corner you might find under steer and want to negate some of it to make the as end slide a little better, or from a dead stop you might want to take off a little more spicy etc. are there any areas that you find you want to improve upon more than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very last "mod" i listed: HPDE ;)

I'd like to improve upon acceleration,handling and the sound the most. Id like to stay as cheap as possible while getting good quality parts.

Try looking at used parts. There are some crazy-good deals to be had if you're persistent and look in the right places. Bonus points when you sell your OEM stuff. A lot of times WRX people will buy the STI parts as upgrades and you can get a fair amount of money.

Sound - You'll definitely want a cat-back. Spend a lot of time on Youtube to narrow down to a few that you like. Find someone who's offloading it because they have buyer's remorse and dont like it anymore. external wastegates can also REALLY affect sound. I mention them a bit more below.

Handling - Swaybars are a GREAT place to start. Best- bang-for-your-buck handling mod by far. Other cheapish contenders include springs and assorted bushings that are too-squishy from the factory. But they pale in comparison to swaybars IMO. There are lots of things that can be done that cost significantly more.

Acceleration - Well, you've got to add power and/or you've got to remove weight. Power is usually a bit cheaper, but weight helps EVERYTHING (acceleration, braking, handling). So for now I'll focus on power. Going to stage 2 will help and since you're already going to get a cat-back you're close. Well know that you'll want a tune for pretty much any mod, and that tuning once is cheaper than many times. So consider what you realistically want to do and gather parts, do it once, etc... So some parts to consider: Ceramic coating of turbo. Downpipe, wastegate, and EBCS can help. Intake. E85 tune (probably needs a fuel pump and injectors), if you have E85 near you. Turbo inlet. TGV deletes. Phenolic spacers. Headers (EL, UEL). New intake manifold. Bigger turbo. Rotated setup. Etc...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Guys, you forgot TIRES!!! I am a firm believer that everything needs to begin with tires now!! A stock car on fantastic sticky tires will outperform a modded car with shit all season tires. Of course, context is key here, but you understand my point. Here's how I organize my top picks now:

1) tires
2) unsprung weight
3) suspension

I've also learned that being able to drive at 100% potential 90% of the time is wayyyyyy better than being able to drive a car at 100% potential just 5% of the time! :tup: