Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Subaru

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

New to Subaru

Ordered a 2019 Subaru WRX STi Limited. Looking forward to getting into a car that is fun to drive as my commuter/daily driver. Currently driving a BMW 328xi (155k mi). It is a great car but an automatic. Car before that was a G37 6mt, really missing the manual transmission. I started an upgrade list but won't do most until warranty. Loving the bang for your buck upgrades thread. Focus on handling rather than just HP. As someone said, more HP is always a plus but not needed for the daily commute...maybe later. I look forward to learning more about Subaru and the STi.

Some may be wondering, why didn't I wait for the 2020. Tough decision for sure, we are close. I decided I like the simpler, well known 2015+. I am afraid the 2020 will be a hybrid, electronic steering, even more locked down. Sometimes, old school is better...more fun. Let you know when the new model is announced if I still feel like I made the right choice.

Cheers!

2. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Batmobile_Engage, Alin liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: New to Subaru

Welcome! Looks like you are on the right path, in regards to modifications. Everyone wants more power, but few go about it in the right way...at least not in the beginning. Enjoy the quick response of the factory turbo and intercooler. Because while a larger turbo and IC is great for making more power, there's nothing like the factory setup when it comes to spool and response. Best to stick to suspension mods and such, until you really get used to the car.

My oath of enlistment has no expiration date.

Member Journal:
    https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/sho...Member-Journal

4. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Suspension FTW!

And take it to an autocross or a track day. I swear it should be mandatory with ANY car purchase!

Check out my journal here!

6. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Found Autocross in our state, will be attending when they start this spring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! What color did you order? When do you get the car? I demand pictures of the G37 and of the STi when it comes in!

Did you look at any other cars aside from the STi before ordering it? What made you decide to get an STi over anything else?

Either way, you'll definitely fall in love with the car! I'm almost as excited as you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

10. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I looked at the BRZ, WRX, WRX STi, Focus RS, and Civic Type-R. My comparison also included MX-5, M240i, M2, Mustang, 370z. I created a spreadsheet with rating criteria, assigned values, and weighted the criteria. I considered new and used. Cost and value were also important. Read a lot of reviews, forums, comparisons. So much information. Test drove the STi and Type R (2017 just traded in). The deciding factors were AWD and the seats. The STi will fit more body types. I also like the modification potential for the STi.

I went for the traditional WRB. For me, that brighter color with the gold/bronze wheels are still a great combination. Glad Subaru is bringing them back.

Sold my G37 6mt to on of my sons. It is much lower than it was when I drove it. I will see if I can round up a picture. It was fun car do drive 3 seasons of the year.

12. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ah, the beloved BRZ. That's going to be my next car!

Man, quite a list of options you were weighing over! If you happen to still have the spreadsheet, could you share it? I'm really interested in looking over the information!

1) What did the Focus RS lack in that the STi didn't, and vice versa if applicable?
    2) Why the STi (EJ257) over the WRX (FA20DIT)?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sliderbandit View Post
    Found Autocross in our state, will be attending when they start this spring.

Woot! Ever done one before? You're going to have a BLAST and learn a ton about how the STI handles...and what you want to mod/improve

Check out my journal here!

15. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

No, looking forward to it.

17. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    Ah, the beloved BRZ. That's going to be my next car!

Man, quite a list of options you were weighing over! If you happen to still have the spreadsheet, could you share it? I'm really interested in looking over the information!

1) What did the Focus RS lack in that the STi didn't, and vice versa if applicable?
    2) Why the STi (EJ257) over the WRX (FA20DIT)?
    The focus didn't do well in the reviews except HP. The WRX was too family car. The STi spoke to me. Suspension, brakes, ability to make it my own over time.

Last edited by Grinder34; 02-01-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast