Coilovers or nah?

What's going on people?! I purchased an 05 Wrx Sti about 5 months ago I'm in the process of replacing and fixing things on it I'm either not digging or that clearly needs swapped out for the betterment of the car. One of those things is the suspension.. Currently it has H&R Coilovers on it. Now dont get me wrong I love how it handles on this set up BUT.. the rough ride is not so much enjoyable and I dont take it to the track (yet).

Let me say I'm not totally against coilovers. I do daily this. Looking for suggestions on maybe a smoother ride coilover set up or any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance, Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The problem is that people are opinionated on both sides of the argument. :lol:

1) What're your goals regarding springs/struts/coilovers?

You have to weigh both sides out and then YOU have to personally decide what works for you! I'm not going to give mine because I don't have enough knowledge on the matter. Instead, I'm awaiting others' responses so I can learn alongside you. :tup:
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] [MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=600]black bandit[/MENTION]

The people I have tagged will be able to give you quality opinions. :tup:

My only goal right now are to get her healthy again. It's been neglected and needs some TLC. If I had a goal I'd say I want a great handling and nice ride at the end of the day suspension wise. I guess what I'm looking for in the future is a very nicely done suspension set up all around. Nice wheel fitment to go along with it.

I've got just over 140k on it. I dont know how many miles have been put on the coils unfortunately.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I only have experience with the stock STi suspension. I've had coilovers and Tokico struts/RCE Yellow springs in the past, but never got them on the car.

I suppose another question is: What's your budget for the suspension?

I've seen good quality, used sets of STi stock suspension for around $300-400 with low mileage in the past. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I recommend hunting around on ebay, craigslist, and various forums. :tup:

My past experience with suspension is Tein lowering springs annnd that's it. Budget wise I'm willing to spend a decent amount. It's one thing I don't want to go too cheap on.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Alright, then let's wait for the others to chime in with their suggestions! :tup:

What I did it purchased the Fortune Auto 500 coil overs with the upgraded springs. I have the same spring rate as stock and then I adjust the damper to be stiffer on track days. Now I have the best of both worlds. When the car becomes a track only car I will buy a stiffer rate spring which is cheap by the way and upgrade the coil over to a 2 way canister and then I'm set for track only duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Over the years, I've had the stock suspension, Apexi N1 coilovers and now shocks & springs. The factory suspension, when it comes to the springs and struts, is pretty great. The places I look to upgrade factory suspension is in sway bars, endlinks, bushings, etc.

I'm not a big fan of coilovers for a couple of reasons. #1 "most" coilovers are setup up waaaay too stiff, with incredibly high spring rates. This, paired with the very short strut travel on the STi makes for a harsh ride on everyday roads. #2 many coilovers have adjustments that are repeatedly beat by weather, road salt, etc. which can make them very difficult if not impossible to adjust over time as they will eventually seize. That is, unless you are insanely meticulous with car washes and spraying off underneath.

Anyways... Right now, I'm on Tokico D-spec, 6-way adjustable (rebound damping) gas shock and RCE Yellow lowering springs. As well as whiteline sways, endlinks, mounts, bushings, bracing, roll center kit and camber plates.

After all of this messing around over the years and the desires you listed above, I would suggest:

A gas shock/strut such as Tokico or KYB
RCE Black "Regular Guy" springs (modest improvement in spring rate + a drop of 15mm front/10mm rear)
Whiteline adjustable sway bars, front and rear
Whiteline endlinks
Whiteline Urethane bushings
STi Group-N top hats, front and rear

Optional: Cusco Triangle Trunk Brace (or similar X brace)
Whiteline sway bar mounts mounts

This is going to handle reeeeeally well, without having as much of the harsh ride you are currently experiencing.

For ride quality's sake, don't drop any further than 25mm front/20mm rear. The suspension travel is super short as it is and you will bottom it out against the bump stops in a pothole, which will loosen the teeth in your head. :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom fellas. I'll be sure to jump back in here if I have any other questions once its gets a bit closer to putting this in motion!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
The more adjustments that your coilovers have, the more ways there are to set them up wrong! A good fixed-perch strut can go a long way from someone whos put time into the specific chassis (think RCE, TiC, etc..), vs who slightly retools their standard setup for every car ever (think Tein).

Selling your coilovers can probably get you some good cash to put into a setup you'd be happy with. If you're really savvy, there's no reason why you cant put on a new spring rate, and hopefully find a good bump/rebound adjustment on the shocks, but it might take some time to figure that out.

Selling your coilovers can probably get you some good cash to put into a setup you'd be happy with. If you're really savvy, there's no reason why you cant put on a new spring rate, and hopefully find a good bump/rebound adjustment on the shocks, but it might take some time to figure that out.

I'm far from savvy my friend, It was actually a thought in the back of my mind if I could get some decent cash for the coilovers I have now. Dont know much about these cars and from what I've learned they are testy with what parts you put on so I'm definitely trying to do my research and ask questions as much as possible!

Noob level 100,000,000,000

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Given the lack of track plans at this stage I would recommend swapping your coilovers for someones really nice stock setup (they might even give you some cash on top). This gets you 2 things: 1. the original equipment if you decide to sell/trade in the future. 2. a comfortable ride that will handle well enough for most people that don't track the car.

Most people that don't track their car make shock/spring changes because they want a different look. Sticky tires, sway bars, and end links might be all you need to have the car handle the way you want. This will also buy you the time to feel out the rest of the car and make sure something else doesn't require the money you would have spent on a fancy suspension setup. Just my .02

This will also buy you the time to feel out the rest of the car and make sure something else doesn't require the money you would have spent on a fancy suspension setup. Just my .02

Exactly, I just got a bonus that will be going towards repairs. That all is definitely coming first. I've heard alot of chatter about nice stock setups so it looks like I might need to look into that!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I'm not trying to toot our own horn around here, but you will notice the community here is different...in a good way. You will find the opinion you want on another forum. You will find the opinions you need on this forum. I'm infamous for looking for opinions that align with mine when I know something isn't the best idea (buying a motorcycle with a bad back or buying the cheap version of something to save a few $$$ because it is just as good...right?...right?). The people here are thoughtful and have been through many of the situations people ask about. It doesn't mean we all make the best decisions or the right ones for you, but we will steer you in the right direction for your car, your wallet, and your safety. Let us know once you narrow it down to a few options, I'm sure a few people would be able to chime in with some personal experience. Good luck!

O and don't forget to factor in a 4 wheel alignment to the cost of whatever route you go. Your tires will thank you.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm not trying to toot our own horn around here, but you will notice the community here is different...in a good way. You will find the opinion you want on another forum. You will find the opinions you NEED on this forum. I'm infamous for looking for opinions that align with mine when I know something isn't the best idea (buying a motorcycle with a bad back or buying the cheap version of something to save a few $$$ because it is just as good...right?...right?). The people here are thoughtful and have been through many of the situations people ask about. It doesn't mean we all make the best decisions or the right ones for you, but we will steer you in the right direction for your car, your wallet, and your safety. Let us know once you narrow it down to a few options, I'm sure a few people would be able to chime in with some personal experience. Good luck!

O and don't forget to factor in a 4 wheel alignment to the cost of whatever route you go. Your tires will thank you.

This is precisely the reason why I'm ONLY on this forum. :ty:

A bunch of you all have already helped me out with everything I have asked so this is definitely the place to be