Best setup

Red

Hey guys,

I'm a rookie with pretty much no experience looking to into the racing scene. I want to learn all types of racing, from drift to rally to circuit. Which is why I'm looking to get a 2019 Sti. My question is what is the best engine setup for that? Am I going to have rebuild it from the ground up? Can I run the stock engine across these formats? I know I'll need at least an oil air separator and am considering putting in a secondary turbo to bump the horsepower. I'm also looking to upgrade the suspension and add Cobb stage 2 tune. I'm just looking for pointers as I'm a rookie and don't want to make a costly mistake in my build. *Just as a note, I don't currently own a Sti yet. I'm saving up for it. I've also never raced, but have been doing a lot of research online. Just looking to get some tips. Thanks in advance

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hey guys,

I'm a rookie with pretty much no experience looking to into the racing scene. I want to learn all types of racing, from drift to rally to circuit. Which is why I'm looking to get a 2019 Sti. My question is what is the best engine setup for that? Am I going to have rebuild it from the ground up? Can I run the stock engine across these formats? I know I'll need at least an oil air separator and am considering putting in a secondary turbo to bump the horsepower. I'm also looking to upgrade the suspension and add Cobb stage 2 tune. I'm just looking for pointers as I'm a rookie and don't want to make a costly mistake in my build. *Just as a note, I don't currently own a Sti yet. I'm saving up for it. I've also never raced, but have been doing a lot of research online. Just looking to get some tips. Thanks in advance

Autocross is a great place to start. To be honest, when it comes to power mods, factory stock is usually best for autocross. Suspension and tires is where you want to focus your attention.

When you say secondary turbo, I assume you mean replacing the turbo with a larger one, right? Because a twin turbo setup will be a ridiculously complicated and expensive process on multiple levels.

The general rule of thumb is that the factory engine internals can handle up to 400whp. Anything more than that generally necessitates at least some engine work. At the very least that would be a piston upgrade. However, at that point, you might as well go for a full forged internals rebuild or just buy a built shortblock.

Red

Autocross is a great place to start. To be honest, when it comes to power mods, factory stock is usually best for autocross. Suspension and tires is where you want to focus your attention.

When you say secondary turbo, I assume you mean replacing the turbo with a larger one, right? Because a twin turbo setup will be a ridiculously complicated and expensive process on multiple levels.

The general rule of thumb is that the factory engine internals can handle up to 400whp. Anything more than that generally necessitates at least some engine work. At the very least that would be a piston upgrade. However, at that point, you might as well go for a full forged internals rebuild or just buy a built shortblock.
Cool, thanks man.
I was initially considering twin turbos, but wasn't sure if it was possible. Will definitely go with a bigger turbo setup instead. I appreciate the feedback man.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Do a lot of reading and take your time before buying a larger turbo to slap on. There is a lot more involved than what you might imagine and the costs can get out of control. Not only that, but to make a turbo swap more worth the money, usually engine work is desired/required.

You could make pretty decent power on the factory turbo with a series of supporting mods and a tune. And if you do it right, you'll put yourself in a position to add on other mods and power without retracing your steps and spending even more money. It's as much of an art as a science.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Let's just get theoretical here for a minute...

K&N drop in air-filter: ~$50
Catless downpipe: ~$300
1-step colder plugs: ~$100
Fuel pump: ~$150
Flex Fuel kit: ~$600
Pro-tune: ~$500

~$1700 for what would probably make ~380whp E85/~320whp 93 Oct.

The only thing you couldn't physically do yourself would be the tune. All those other, very conservative, mods are easily done in your driveway.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If you really want to get good at racing, start with stock hp (heck probably suspension too)! Take every dollar you were about to put into mods, and instead put that into a few driving schools and track time (preferably with an instructor). Seriously.

High HP masks driving mistakes...you dont have to focus on carrying speed through corners, mastering your driving line, etc...

And hold of on suspension. What you want/need for rally is very different from auto-x is different than wheel-to-wheel, drift, etc... Get some seat time and you'll know more what direction you're going to go. I know buying stuff is way cooler than a driving school...but let me put it this way. Driving school is the "mod" that instantly transfers to every car you'll ever drive.

Red

If you really want to get good at racing, start with stock hp (heck probably suspension too)! Take every dollar you were about to put into mods, and instead put that into a few driving schools and track time (preferably with an instructor). Seriously.

High HP masks driving mistakes...you dont have to focus on carrying speed through corners, mastering your driving line, etc...

And hold of on suspension. What you want/need for rally is very different from auto-x is different than wheel-to-wheel, drift, etc... Get some seat time and you'll know more what direction you're going to go. I know buying stuff is way cooler than a driving school...but let me put it this way. Driving school is the "mod" that instantly transfers to every car you'll ever drive.
Will do.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!

We're getting ahead of ourselves here, guys!

1) How old are you right now?
2) What car do you currently drive?
3) Are you going to be actually buying an STi or are you going to be leasing one? (Can you even lease one?)
4) Have you factored in insurance and other expenses?
5) Do you have a budget set aside for your car?
6) When do you plan on actually getting an STi?

I'm trying to delve into your mindset right now and I imagine myself when I was 16-18. There is a lot of bad information out there, but also a lot of good advice. The issue is trying to decipher through all of the bullshit. This forum has become one of the best places regarding these cars and we would never steer you in the wring direction. Also, some knowledge is only gained through experience and mistakes that you personally make. You, yourself, have to make the mistake in order to progress forward in some circumstances.

However, there are some things that need to be addressed beforehand! Rookie/newbie is a good way to start things off. The ONLY thing that you need to be doing is research, research, RESEARCH!!!! This is something that you need to do in every aspect of life, though, especially now that we have the world in our palms. I'm going to assume you're 16-18 years old based on your posts thus far. WE have a bunch of sticky threads that have a lot of great topics to read about.

Ask any and all questions that you have. It's better to learn through others' experiences, especially since it's free and people are more than willing to teach others! :tup:

Red

Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!

We're getting ahead of ourselves here, guys!

1) How old are you right now?
2) What car do you currently drive?
3) Are you going to be actually buying an STi or are you going to be leasing one? (Can you even lease one?)
4) Have you factored in insurance and other expenses?
5) Do you have a budget set aside for your car?
6) When do you plan on actually getting an STi?

I'm trying to delve into your mindset right now and I imagine myself when I was 16-18. There is a lot of bad information out there, but also a lot of good advice. The issue is trying to decipher through all of the bullshit. This forum has become one of the best places regarding these cars and we would never steer you in the wring direction. Also, some knowledge is only gained through experience and mistakes that you personally make. You, yourself, have to make the mistake in order to progress forward in some circumstances.

However, there are some things that need to be addressed beforehand! Rookie/newbie is a good way to start things off. The ONLY thing that you need to be doing is research, research, RESEARCH!!!! This is something that you need to do in every aspect of life, though, especially now that we have the world in our palms. I'm going to assume you're 16-18 years old based on your posts thus far. WE have a bunch of sticky threads that have a lot of great topics to read about.

Ask any and all questions that you have. It's better to learn through others' experiences, especially since it's free and people are more than willing to teach others! :tup:
1. I'm actually 26. Lol. I know, late bloomer, I'm slightly embarrassed to say. (Super noob)

2 I don't currently have a car as I'm only now able to afford to save for one, but I do know how to drive.

3. I'm saving up for a little more than half the cost of what a gently used 2019 Sti should be in about 2 1/2 - 3 years, and financing the rest.

4. Yes, I've been doing near constant research on insurance companies and cost of ownership. In addition to the cost of various types of racing and driving schools.

5. I have a separate account set up specifically for my car, that I don't touch.

6. I calculate that it's going to take me approx. 2 1/2 - 3 years to save up a little more than half the cost of what a gently used 2019 Sti should be in a couple years.

I've always been interested in racing, and passionate about cars, but am only now able to even consider getting into it. I'm in no rush, I want to do things right. I know once I get my car, I'm going to need to take a bit to get used to it before jumping into racing and such. I'm also quite unfamiliar with the mechanical aspect of cars. So, I'm doing as much research as I can and trying to get advice on things, so I can plan out my build. I intend to get as much training behind the wheel as possible, I want my car to be an extension of me, and to be confident that I can handle it as the situation demands; which is why I'm looking into various types of racing and stunt driving schools. Once I'm able to afford to, I intend to dive into the world of racing. I appreciate your advice, thank you in advance.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
1. I'm actually 26. Lol. I know, late bloomer, I'm slightly embarrassed to say. (Super noob)

2 I don't currently have a car as I'm only now able to afford to save for one, but I do know how to drive.

3. I'm saving up for a little more than half the cost of what a gently used 2019 Sti should be in about 2 1/2 - 3 years, and financing the rest.

4. Yes, I've been doing near constant research on insurance companies and cost of ownership. In addition to the cost of various types of racing and driving schools.

5. I have a separate account set up specifically for my car, that I don't touch.

6. I calculate that it's going to take me approx. 2 1/2 - 3 years to save up a little more than half the cost of what a gently used 2019 Sti should be in a couple years.

I've always been interested in racing, and passionate about cars, but am only now able to even consider getting into it. I'm in no rush, I want to do things right. I know once I get my car, I'm going to need to take a bit to get used to it before jumping into racing and such. I'm also quite unfamiliar with the mechanical aspect of cars. So, I'm doing as much research as I can and trying to get advice on things, so I can plan out my build. I intend to get as much training behind the wheel as possible, I want my car to be an extension of me, and to be confident that I can handle it as the situation demands; which is why I'm looking into various types of racing and stunt driving schools. Once I'm able to afford to, I intend to dive into the world of racing. I appreciate your advice, thank you in advance.

Don't be embarrassed. This is the smartest way to go about it, honestly! Just learn each and every day as much as you can about these cars and platform. You know how to drive, but does this also include manual transmission experience?

Either way, if you're saving up like you say you are, then you're already ahead of 90% of the people who follow this path. Stick to your ideals, play it safe, and you'll have no regrets.

2.5-3 years is a long time. Your preferences, the opportunities that arise, and a whole bunch of other factors will arise.

I can't comment on the school and racing aspects since I've never personally done them. From what I've READ, racing gets expensive. You'll have to do your own research on the subject, though.

Why do you want a 2019 model specifically? Any specific color or options? Have you looked at previous model years? (GD: 2004-2007, GR: 2008-2014, GV: 2011-2014)

Does a gently used 2019 STi mean a CPO, Certified Pre-Owned with warranty? A bone stock car as in the way it came from the factory? You talk about modifications and a build plan, but your best interest would be to just drive the car as it is and get accustomed to it. Especially if it's going to have a warranty.

Also, where are you located?

Red

Don't be embarrassed. This is the smartest way to go about it, honestly! Just learn each and every day as much as you can about these cars and platform. You know how to drive, but does this also include manual transmission experience?

Either way, if you're saving up like you say you are, then you're already ahead of 90% of the people who follow this path. Stick to your ideals, play it safe, and you'll have no regrets.

2.5-3 years is a long time. Your preferences, the opportunities that arise, and a whole bunch of other factors will arise.

I can't comment on the school and racing aspects since I've never personally done them. From what I've READ, racing gets expensive. You'll have to do your own research on the subject, though.

Why do you want a 2019 model specifically? Any specific color or options? Have you looked at previous model years? (GD: 2004-2007, GR: 2008-2014, GV: 2011-2014)

Does a gently used 2019 STi mean a CPO, Certified Pre-Owned with warranty? A bone stock car as in the way it came from the factory? You talk about modifications and a build plan, but your best interest would be to just drive the car as it is and get accustomed to it. Especially if it's going to have a warranty.

I'm currently learning how to drive a stick shift, and I'm willing to wait a couple years and save up as much as possible as I prefer the lower monthly payments. I really like the 2019 design, more than most other designs. I've also read about glitches in the previous model years of the recent redesign. Like transmission and clutch issues which so far, it seems like they've fixed as I haven't read anything that says otherwise. I live in Florida.

Red

I'm planning on certified pre owned, yes.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I don't want to sound like the old fart downer guy here, but I do not think it is wise to buy a $30k+ car (your only car) to take racing (as a new racer). Just consider the consequences of having a fairly large car payment for a car that you *could* wreck or blow up racing. I am not saying do not do it, just consider the worst case scenarios and if you are okay with them mentally and financially then by all means go for it. However, you mentioned going with certified preowned...that is a great idea, but I would not plan to mod the car much if at all during that warranty period. Dealers are becoming very aware and good at detecting changes made to the these cars and in most cases will deny warranty claims.

Why not buy a 02-07 wrx first? Use it to learn stick better, take it to autocross and learn how these cars are to drive. You will be able to learn a lot in terms of racing ability, how to work on this type of car, and what parts make the most difference. In that same 2-3 years time, keep saving what you can and then sell the wrx for what you paid (seriously if you find a decent deal, you won't lose money selling it in 2-3 years). And just so you know I'm not all talk on this, I actually bought a blown up 06 STi from a member here years back, went through the process of fixing it up, getting it tuned, etc etc. I learned a lot in the process, didn't pour a ton of money into it, and was able to recoup it when I sold it due to some life and family circumstances. A few years later I ended up buying my 15 STi that I have now and love. Good luck and keep us posted!

Red

I don't want to sound like the old fart downer guy here, but I do not think it is wise to buy a $30k+ car (your only car) to take racing (as a new racer). Just consider the consequences of having a fairly large car payment for a car that you *could* wreck or blow up racing. I am not saying do not do it, just consider the worst case scenarios and if you are okay with them mentally and financially then by all means go for it. However, you mentioned going with certified preowned...that is a great idea, but I would not plan to mod the car much if at all during that warranty period. Dealers are becoming very aware and good at detecting changes made to the these cars and in most cases will deny warranty claims.

Why not buy a 02-07 wrx first? Use it to learn stick better, take it to autocross and learn how these cars are to drive. You will be able to learn a lot in terms of racing ability, how to work on this type of car, and what parts make the most difference. In that same 2-3 years time, keep saving what you can and then sell the wrx for what you paid (seriously if you find a decent deal, you won't lose money selling it in 2-3 years). And just so you know I'm not all talk on this, I actually bought a blown up 06 STi from a member here years back, went through the process of fixing it up, getting it tuned, etc etc. I learned a lot in the process, didn't pour a ton of money into it, and was able to recoup it when I sold it due to some life and family circumstances. A few years later I ended up buying my 15 STi that I have now and love. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you, and you don't sound like an old fart. Lol. You raise a good point. By the time I'm ready to get into racing, I will have saved up for a secondary used car, and make the Sti my project car. That way if the worst should happen. I'll still have a functional daily driver. I have no illusions about how much money everything is going to cost. It's going to take me awhile to save up and get everything going. I just prefer to start out on a newer platform. The more recent model years (so far) seem to have less glitches and the minute details are a bit more refined. I'm willing to deal with the cost.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Do you have a car now? Rather than racing schools or driving schools, go to an autocross! It's maybe $40 to enter and you get a day full of cars. Many/most autox organizations will have a school for newbies. It may be a bit more, but only about $100 and you get a LOT more seat time than a real autox, and you get instruction. They usually only run them early in the year, so now's the time!

If you already know about them, skip the following:

1) They're set up as mini racetracks in a big parking lot. Usually max speed is about 80 in a fast car, and far less in anything else. They're purposefully designed so that if you spin, it'll be in a safe direction. You have to try, or be exceptionally stupid, to crash your car at an autocross.

2) Usually you'll get about 4 runs in the morning, 4 in the afternoon and maybe a few re-runs if someone in front of you ruins your lap. Each run takes 1-2 minutes depending on the course. I know that sounds bad (8 min total) but it's an action packed 8-16 minutes and you learn a TON about car control.

3) If you enter the novice class they'll probably REQUIRE you to have an instructor, but if not you can usually ask for one. They're not true pros (usually), but can offer a lot of good advice.

4) Almost anything can participate. As long as it doesnt present a danger of falling apart or tipping over, you can run it.