Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best setup

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Best setup

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    Don't be embarrassed. This is the smartest way to go about it, honestly! Just learn each and every day as much as you can about these cars and platform. You know how to drive, but does this also include manual transmission experience?

Either way, if you're saving up like you say you are, then you're already ahead of 90% of the people who follow this path. Stick to your ideals, play it safe, and you'll have no regrets.

2.5-3 years is a long time. Your preferences, the opportunities that arise, and a whole bunch of other factors will arise.

I can't comment on the school and racing aspects since I've never personally done them. From what I've READ, racing gets expensive. You'll have to do your own research on the subject, though.

Why do you want a 2019 model specifically? Any specific color or options? Have you looked at previous model years? (GD: 2004-2007, GR: 2008-2014, GV: 2011-2014)

Does a gently used 2019 STi mean a CPO, Certified Pre-Owned with warranty? A bone stock car as in the way it came from the factory? You talk about modifications and a build plan, but your best interest would be to just drive the car as it is and get accustomed to it. Especially if it's going to have a warranty.

Also, where are you located?
    I'm currently learning how to drive a stick shift, and I'm willing to wait a couple years and save up as much as possible as I prefer the lower monthly payments. I really like the 2019 design, more than most other designs. I've also read about glitches in the previous model years of the recent redesign. Like transmission and clutch issues which so far, it seems like they've fixed as I haven't read anything that says otherwise. I live in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    Don't be embarrassed. This is the smartest way to go about it, honestly! Just learn each and every day as much as you can about these cars and platform. You know how to drive, but does this also include manual transmission experience?

Either way, if you're saving up like you say you are, then you're already ahead of 90% of the people who follow this path. Stick to your ideals, play it safe, and you'll have no regrets.

2.5-3 years is a long time. Your preferences, the opportunities that arise, and a whole bunch of other factors will arise.

I can't comment on the school and racing aspects since I've never personally done them. From what I've READ, racing gets expensive. You'll have to do your own research on the subject, though.

Why do you want a 2019 model specifically? Any specific color or options? Have you looked at previous model years? (GD: 2004-2007, GR: 2008-2014, GV: 2011-2014)

Does a gently used 2019 STi mean a CPO, Certified Pre-Owned with warranty? A bone stock car as in the way it came from the factory? You talk about modifications and a build plan, but your best interest would be to just drive the car as it is and get accustomed to it. Especially if it's going to have a warranty.

Also, where are you located?
    I'm planning on certified pre owned, yes.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I don't want to sound like the old fart downer guy here, but I do not think it is wise to buy a $30k+ car (your only car) to take racing (as a new racer). Just consider the consequences of having a fairly large car payment for a car that you *could* wreck or blow up racing. I am not saying do not do it, just consider the worst case scenarios and if you are okay with them mentally and financially then by all means go for it. However, you mentioned going with certified preowned...that is a great idea, but I would not plan to mod the car much if at all during that warranty period. Dealers are becoming very aware and good at detecting changes made to the these cars and in most cases will deny warranty claims.

Why not buy a 02-07 wrx first? Use it to learn stick better, take it to autocross and learn how these cars are to drive. You will be able to learn a lot in terms of racing ability, how to work on this type of car, and what parts make the most difference. In that same 2-3 years time, keep saving what you can and then sell the wrx for what you paid (seriously if you find a decent deal, you won't lose money selling it in 2-3 years). And just so you know I'm not all talk on this, I actually bought a blown up 06 STi from a member here years back, went through the process of fixing it up, getting it tuned, etc etc. I learned a lot in the process, didn't pour a ton of money into it, and was able to recoup it when I sold it due to some life and family circumstances. A few years later I ended up buying my 15 STi that I have now and love. Good luck and keep us posted!

15 GBP STi

4. Thanks Red, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Batmobile_Engage, Red, Alin liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #14
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

Great advice, @HawkEye.

My oath of enlistment has no expiration date.

Member Journal:
    https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/sho...Member-Journal

6. Thanks Eagleye thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HawkEye View Post
    I don't want to sound like the old fart downer guy here, but I do not think it is wise to buy a $30k+ car (your only car) to take racing (as a new racer). Just consider the consequences of having a fairly large car payment for a car that you *could* wreck or blow up racing. I am not saying do not do it, just consider the worst case scenarios and if you are okay with them mentally and financially then by all means go for it. However, you mentioned going with certified preowned...that is a great idea, but I would not plan to mod the car much if at all during that warranty period. Dealers are becoming very aware and good at detecting changes made to the these cars and in most cases will deny warranty claims.

Why not buy a 02-07 wrx first? Use it to learn stick better, take it to autocross and learn how these cars are to drive. You will be able to learn a lot in terms of racing ability, how to work on this type of car, and what parts make the most difference. In that same 2-3 years time, keep saving what you can and then sell the wrx for what you paid (seriously if you find a decent deal, you won't lose money selling it in 2-3 years). And just so you know I'm not all talk on this, I actually bought a blown up 06 STi from a member here years back, went through the process of fixing it up, getting it tuned, etc etc. I learned a lot in the process, didn't pour a ton of money into it, and was able to recoup it when I sold it due to some life and family circumstances. A few years later I ended up buying my 15 STi that I have now and love. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Thank you, and you don't sound like an old fart. Lol. You raise a good point. By the time I'm ready to get into racing, I will have saved up for a secondary used car, and make the Sti my project car. That way if the worst should happen. I'll still have a functional daily driver. I have no illusions about how much money everything is going to cost. It's going to take me awhile to save up and get everything going. I just prefer to start out on a newer platform. The more recent model years (so far) seem to have less glitches and the minute details are a bit more refined. I'm willing to deal with the cost.

8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Do you have a car now? Rather than racing schools or driving schools, go to an autocross! It's maybe $40 to enter and you get a day full of cars. Many/most autox organizations will have a school for newbies. It may be a bit more, but only about $100 and you get a LOT more seat time than a real autox, and you get instruction. They usually only run them early in the year, so now's the time!

If you already know about them, skip the following:

1) They're set up as mini racetracks in a big parking lot. Usually max speed is about 80 in a fast car, and far less in anything else. They're purposefully designed so that if you spin, it'll be in a safe direction. You have to try, or be exceptionally stupid, to crash your car at an autocross.

2) Usually you'll get about 4 runs in the morning, 4 in the afternoon and maybe a few re-runs if someone in front of you ruins your lap. Each run takes 1-2 minutes depending on the course. I know that sounds bad (8 min total) but it's an action packed 8-16 minutes and you learn a TON about car control.

3) If you enter the novice class they'll probably REQUIRE you to have an instructor, but if not you can usually ask for one. They're not true pros (usually), but can offer a lot of good advice.

4) Almost anything can participate. As long as it doesnt present a danger of falling apart or tipping over, you can run it.

Check out my journal here!

9. Thanks Red thanked for this post
    Likes Red liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12