Hello All - Finally a WRX owner

ETNWRX

Hello everyone,

2nd time Subbie owner, 1st time WRX owner here. Just got my darlin' Friday afternoon.

2017 WRX Premium CVT
11k mi

Hoping to get some decent pics here shortly. Hoping to also find good info on my WRX. Lots of Subbie forums on the net, but not too many (almost none) have more than a trouble shooting forum for 4G's.

ETNWRX

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!

What was the previous Subie that you had? How does the WRX compare? How is it the CVT transmission? What do you like about the WRX? Is the car stock? Do you have any plans on modding it or will you leave it stock? Where are you located?

ETNWRX

Thanks for the reply. I'm 39 and from Middle East Tennessee. Try not to laugh, but my 1st Subbie was pulled from my ex father in laws over grown garden. An 85 GL front wheel drive, 5 speed. I absolutely loved that car.

Fell in love with the all wheel drives when I test drove a 2.5RS back around 2000. Had my best friend at the time introduce me to WRC and eventually fell head over heels forever in love when the hatchbacks came thundering in.

I purchased mine as a Certified Pre-Owned that just came off lease from one of the employees at the Subaru dealership. I actually had a sit down with the gent and talked for a bit about the car and I felt comfortable especially after seeing the extremely regimented service visits in the last 12 months. It was so immaculate that the owners manuals were still shrink wrapped (which I quickly opened and started looking through them).

Being Certified Pre-Owned the MFG warranty went from 36mo/36k to 7yr/100k. So as not to void the warranty I will be keeping her stock for probably most of that time frame.

Immediate desires are to get a set of steel rims or inexpensive rims and mount winter tires (East Tennessee does have it's snow moments for about 2 months out of the year). I would also like to do a 18" to 17" rim/tire swap as I would like a little more comfort in driving.

The CVT has been wonderful so far. I have the paddle shifters for when I feel like manual shifting.

Future plans possibly would be to put the intercooler up front and swap an Impreza hood (still researching for info on if that will hurt the car or not). I really like the look of sleeper cars, which the WRX definitely can be.

Looking forward to digging into the forum here.

ETNWRX

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Welcome!

Personally I would avoid doing the front mount intercooler unless you are doing some other mods to take advantage of that swap. One of the benefits of the new motor in the WRX is the quick spool which you would hurt going front mount. The car would drive okay after being tuned for it, but most would not like the increase in turbo lag without an increase in power when the boost does come in. This 2nd consideration is a just my opinion, but I would guess fuel economy would take a hit from that swap as well. With the car being a little laggier, I would suspect you would feel the need to get into boost more often due to how it comes on. But as I said that is just my opinion and could be different in practice.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks for the reply. I'm 39 and from Middle East Tennessee. Try not to laugh, but my 1st Subbie was pulled from my ex father in laws over grown garden. An 85 GL front wheel drive, 5 speed. I absolutely loved that car.

Fell in love with the all wheel drives when I test drove a 2.5RS back around 2000. Had my best friend at the time introduce me to WRC and eventually fell head over heels forever in love when the hatchbacks came thundering in.

I purchased mine as a Certified Pre-Owned that just came off lease from one of the employees at the Subaru dealership. I actually had a sit down with the gent and talked for a bit about the car and I felt comfortable especially after seeing the extremely regimented service visits in the last 12 months. It was so immaculate that the owners manuals were still shrink wrapped (which I quickly opened and started looking through them).

Being Certified Pre-Owned the MFG warranty went from 36mo/36k to 7yr/100k. So as not to void the warranty I will be keeping her stock for probably most of that time frame.

Immediate desires are to get a set of steel rims or inexpensive rims and mount winter tires (East Tennessee does have it's snow moments for about 2 months out of the year). I would also like to do a 18" to 17" rim/tire swap as I would like a little more comfort in driving.

The CVT has been wonderful so far. I have the paddle shifters for when I feel like manual shifting.

Future plans possibly would be to put the intercooler up front and swap an Impreza hood (still researching for info on if that will hurt the car or not). I really like the look of sleeper cars, which the WRX definitely can be.

Looking forward to digging into the forum here.

ETNWRX

By purchasing a CPO with extended warranty and planning on keep the car stock is literally the perfect scenario! You should look into getting a used set of 2005-2007 STi rims. They're light, durable, look fantastic (subjective opinion), and they can be found relatively cheap these days!

What is your average MPG when driving the car normally? I'm curious as to how the CVT works! At what RPM does it usually up shift a gear? Let's use starting off from a stop sign and gradually accelerating at a civilized pace to 40 MPH as an example.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
By purchasing a CPO with extended warranty and planning on keep the car stock is literally the perfect scenario! You should look into getting a used set of 2005-2007 STi rims. They're light, durable, look fantastic (subjective opinion), and they can be found relatively cheap these days!

What is your average MPG when driving the car normally? I'm curious as to how the CVT works! At what RPM does it usually up shift a gear? Let's use starting off from a stop sign and gradually accelerating at a civilized pace to 40 MPH as an example.

CVT will not "shift" in the traditional sense. Subaru uses a steel chain connecting pulleys with different widths. They don't have gears. I think low torque applications use a belt between 2 pulleys. There seems to be a lot of different versions of the CVT design. Subaru has been in the game for a while and does a decent job from what I understand, but I recall Ford and Mini using some CVTs with less than desirable results.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
CVT will not "shift" in the traditional sense. Subaru uses a steel chain connecting pulleys with different widths. They don't have gears. I think low torque applications use a belt between 2 pulleys. There seems to be a lot of different versions of the CVT design. Subaru has been in the game for a while and does a decent job from what I understand, but I recall Ford and Mini using some CVTs with less than desirable results.

So, how does the RPM fluctuation work then?! Say you go WOT and approach red line, what happens next?!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow. Well, now I'm even more interested in hearing about real world MPG!

I drove a Sentra a few years back that had a cvt I hated it I love to fell the feedback a care gives and sometimes as you are accelerating the rpms will go down as your speed increased it was awkward all around

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk