Power drop out at 4k rpm

I'll try my best to describe this.. So say I'm getting on the highway... Any type of semi aggressive acceleration I do, when I get to just right at 4 grand between 4.5 grand it's like its bogs down for about a second then picks back up. I'm only seeing it in lower gears (2-4) Going to try some fuel injection cleaner soon and maybe do a tune up as I have not done that yet since purchasing the car (6 months ago) it's a 05 STi. Was maybe thinking a fuel filter could be the culprit??

Any help or advice is much appreciated as usual.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

_Broken_WRX_

This has happened to my car before. Whenever I got the car over 4k it would stutter until I let off. Turns out it was just bad gas because I hadnt driven it in awhile. I just got a fresh tank and drove for awhile and it smoothed out. Maybe try changing your fuel filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Broken_WRX_

Also maybe check your fuel pressure if you can. I had a pump go out once and it had a similar issue.

Also maybe check your fuel pressure if you can. I had a pump go out once and it had a similar issue.

I wouldn't think it would be bad fuel as it happens always and I fill up about once a week as it is my daily. Fuel filter I'll have to look into that for sure. Thank you

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What tune, if any, are you running?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I looked back at some of your posts but didn't notice it anywhere...what mods does the car have?

I looked back at some of your posts but didn't notice it anywhere...what mods does the car have?
It came with intake, catback exhaust and downpipe. I've switched the intake to the SF Cobb intake and I no clue what the exhaust or downpipe is.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I thought downpipe put you into stage 2? Confirm that before doing anything silly.

But first step should be trying to figure out if its a hardware or software issue. I'm not good at reading logs, but I'd try to get one that captures the behavior you're talking about.

Yes I refreshed it last week and it has helped the car run MUCH better despite this issue.

And from what I've read i think turbo back exhaust would put me into stage 2. I have been getting a fuel smell every so often for a short time as of about 2 1/2 weeks now.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
For clarification purposes, you have a Cobb Accessport, correct?

I don't see a clear answer. Is the car CURRENTLY flashed to Stage 1 or Stage 2?

Since you have a turboback exhaust, you NEED to be on Stage 2.

For clarification purposes, you have a Cobb Accessport, correct?

I don't see a clear answer. Is the car CURRENTLY flashed to Stage 1 or Stage 2?

Since you have a turboback exhaust, you NEED to be on Stage 2.
Yes I have a Cobb accessport.

Its tuned to Stage 1

I do NOT have turbo back exhaust. Just Catback.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yes I have a Cobb accessport.

Its tuned to Stage 1

I do NOT have turbo back exhaust. Just Catback.

You stated:

"It came with intake, catback exhaust and downpipe. I've switched the intake to the SF Cobb intake and I no clue what the exhaust or downpipe is."

So, what downpipe is currently on the car right now? The factory one with catalytic converters or an aftermarket one? (Turboback = catback + downpipe)

You stated:

"It came with intake, catback exhaust and downpipe. I've switched the intake to the SF Cobb intake and I no clue what the exhaust or downpipe is."

So, what downpipe is currently on the car right now? The factory one with catalytic converters or an aftermarket one? (Turboback = catback + downpipe)
I'm just getting out of work let me look and try and figure that out when I get home. I believe it is not the stock. So I should be stage 2 tuned then.. Correct?

Also.. i feel like a dummy.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That is definitely an aftermarket downpipe, therefore you have a turboback exhaust. You need to flash the car to Stage 2. Once that is done, you have to drive normally until the car learns the map and ease into throttle.

5-10 minutes idle and warm up
15 minutes normal driving, NO BOOST
15 minutes easing into more throttle, say 5-10 psi
10 minutes or so of more normal driving and then attempt a WOT, HOWEVER, you MUST monitor knock while doing so! If any knock over 2 is present for longer than one second, you ABORT! The Stage 2 map is on the rich side so the car does not knock, however, every car behaves differently.

Please don't do anything reckless on public streets. Instead, find a road where there is no traffic or people, is lengthy so you can test a WOT run, and doesn't draw attention. I have a road by the airport where it turns from 25 MPH to 55 MPH and is not crowded at night time. You have to find what is best suitable for YOUR environment.

This may be a little longer process than what others recommend, but I like to play it safely. :tup:

_Broken_WRX_

That is definitely an aftermarket downpipe, therefore you have a turboback exhaust. You need to flash the car to Stage 2. Once that is done, you have to drive normally until the car learns the map and ease into throttle.

5-10 minutes idle and warm up
15 minutes normal driving, NO BOOST
15 minutes easing into more throttle, say 5-10 psi
10 minutes or so of more normal driving and then attempt a WOT, HOWEVER, you MUST monitor knock while doing so! If any knock over 2 is present for longer than one second, you ABORT! The Stage 2 map is on the rich side so the car does not knock, however, every car behaves differently.

Please don't do anything reckless on public streets. Instead, find a road where there is no traffic or people, is lengthy so you can test a WOT run, and doesn't draw attention. I have a road by the airport where it turns from 25 MPH to 55 MPH and is not crowded at night time. You have to find what is best suitable for YOUR environment.

This may be a little longer process than what others recommend, but I like to play it safely. :tup:

What parameter would you look at too see if its over 2?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you have an older AP that displays only one parameter, choose Feedback Knock. If you have a newer one that displays up to 6 parameters, then choose Feedback Knock and Fine Knock Learn.