2018 Sti Stock Stumbles in WOT

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
UPDATE #2 cleaned the MAF sensor changed O ring O RING looked messed with. 2nd cylinder 4 misfires.

Wow, really? At 19,000 miles?! That's odd regarding the MAF o-ring, but if that's the case, glad it was remedied.

We'll wait for your update on the misfires.

SDblitz858

Wow, really? At 19,000 miles?! That's odd regarding the MAF o-ring, but if that's the case, glad it was remedied.

We'll wait for your update on the misfires.

boss, how bad is it having misfires? does it mean ringlands/new motor? fucc what shud i be expecting. they changing the spark plugs right now as we speak.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You're jumping to conclusions! :lol:

It could be bad fuel, a foul plug, a bad coil, etc. There are many variables that can cause it.

Update us what they do to the car exactly and if their solution remedies the problem.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Don't get excited about misfires, there can be multiple factors there. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, let them finish their diagnostics and get you a final report of what they found, what was done to fix it, and have you test drive it after. Then let us know what is going on. You said it was sold with a warranty right?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
You're jumping to conclusions! :lol:

It could be bad fuel, a foul plug, a bad coil, etc. There are many variables that can cause it.

Update us what they do to the car exactly and if their solution remedies the problem.

damnit you beat me to it! haha

SDblitz858

Don't get excited about misfires, there can be multiple factors there. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, let them finish their diagnostics and get you a final report of what they found, what was done to fix it, and have you test drive it after. Then let us know what is going on. You said it was sold with a warranty right?

Yea Gold plus warranty 48months/40000 miles on top of the warranty right now thats got 1 and half year left

SDblitz858

Update::::

Unfortunately, still doing the samething. She has to stay overnight so they can work on her tomorrow. So far, They have changed /done
1.) Spark plugs
2.) cleaned out MAF sensor and changed the O ring 3.) leak down test on cylinder 2
Another mechanic chimed in and drove the car. the one with more knowledge on Sti motors. swapped Sti motor/trans on a bugeye. anyways he said he is highly confident that is a clogged cat. so tomorrow theyre taking that stock downpipe off and look more into the turbo side. Compression/leakdown test again. They are pretty much certifying the car now. Hoping for the best lol. sad life.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The bad news: you can't enjoy your car for 24 hours.

The good news: everything is covered under warranty.

The good news HEAVILY outweighs the bad news! :tup:

I hope they'll manage to find the culprit and take care of it tomorrow. Keep up posted as to what results they'll have.

SDblitz858

The bad news: you can't enjoy your car for 24 hours.

The good news: everything is covered under warranty.

The good news HEAVILY outweighs the bad news! :tup:

I hope they'll manage to find the culprit and take care of it tomorrow. Keep up posted as to what results they'll have.

UPDATE :::

the stock cat is not clogged. its actually clean. theyy are now digging deeper checking valve adjustment/timing and all that. dammm what do you all think??

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
UPDATE :::

the stock cat is not clogged. its actually clean. theyy are now digging deeper checking valve adjustment/timing and all that. dammm what do you all think??

I mean, we can't really say anything yet. We have to wait for the dealer to give you the next update. No conclusions yet...

SDblitz858

I mean, we can't really say anything yet. We have to wait for the dealer to give you the next update. No conclusions yet...

They said something about the turbocharger is choking not being able to release thru exhaust. checking the exhaust valves. kinda make sense now?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I don't really know what to say. We'll have to wait for the next update.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
They said something about the turbocharger is choking not being able to release thru exhaust. checking the exhaust valves. kinda make sense now?

I don't mean to cause alarm, but if they actually said the above... my faith in them figuring this out in a timely manner would be slim. At the end of the day it is on their dime and you may end up with a lot of new parts so I guess that's good?

SDblitz858

I don't mean to cause alarm, but if they actually said the above... my faith in them figuring this out in a timely manner would be slim. At the end of the day it is on their dime and you may end up with a lot of new parts so I guess that's good?

Yea.. im just got to be patient and let them do what they have to do. still got factory warranty and gold plus warranty. i guess thats more than good enough just sucks i just got that sti. but im tinking its better that it happened now than later on.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Yea.. im just got to be patient and let them do what they have to do. still got factory warranty and gold plus warranty. i guess thats more than good enough just sucks i just got that sti. but im tinking its better that it happened now than later on.

Yeah I agree with that. Just be sure everything is 100% now, do not settle for anything less.

SDblitz858

Yeah I agree with that. Just be sure everything is 100% now, do not settle for anything less.

UPDATE ::: Leakdown test is perfect but still doing the same fuckin thing. now they said they are on the phone with subaru texh (STIS) and probably next step is to pull the engine out. da fucc. lol

When it comes to the sti I'm a noob but when it comes to cars that's a different story. I had a blazer that did the exact same thing leak down was fine fuel read fine but in the end the fuel pump at higher pressure couldn't keep up

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SDblitz858

UPDATE:::

After all whats done to the car from dealership, Subaru tech said they have to change the ECU, when they looked it up, it had 1 file and my ecu was locked!! technically the warranty should not be covering it but since i got the car from them just a week ago and its not my fault, its getting covered.

Now, im 90% believing the car was tuned before, the subaru tech saying open source. iono anything about that i tought only accessport can go in the ECU. Also it goes back to the question why am i misfiring in cylinder 2?? is it because of my locked ecu messing with spark/timing/ or other things? is this possible?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
There's all kinds of tuning options other than Cobb, and Open Source is probably the most common with tuners throughout the country. I don't know what Subaru dealerships are using for tuning purposes, but it seems kind of strange to me that they can't unlock the ECU and flash a stock map. Maybe it's a procedural requiment by SOA, which is forcing them to replace the ECU.

As for the misfire, it could still be hardware related, but the tune is always an item of concern until logs have been taken and determined to be okay. Once again, that's more of @HolyCrapItsFast 's department. :unsure: