Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on gauges

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Looking for input on gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    Every person and their experience is unique, and here is a perfect example of that. So, now you know your priorities!

Oh, shit! @Grinder34 , you just reminded me that the 2015+ models' oil temperature gauge screen is also a boost gauge! It has both, so I think he's set in that department!!!
    I wasn't sure if they were really accurate or were more of a calculation/delayed response gauge that just "looks cool".

15 GBP STi

2. Top Of Page | #12
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    I wasn't sure if they were really accurate or were more of a calculation/delayed response gauge that just "looks cool".
    What has been your peak boost according to the gauge? (I don't know if that's supposed to be in S# mode, but I'd imagine that as the case.) The stock tune is supposed to be right around 14.5 PSI, give or take 0.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

What has been your peak boost according to the gauge? (I don't know if that's supposed to be in S# mode, but I'd imagine that as the case.) The stock tune is supposed to be right around 14.5 PSI, give or take 0.1.
    I'll be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to it as I assumed it was more for looks that anything useful. Reflecting back I suppose it would have told me if the car use to have a different tune on it. I am pretty sure it must have been on a stage 1 map or had the boost messed with before (if the gauge is accurate) since it was up around 17 I believe. Since I reset everything after buying it I would have to look and see what it shows as my peak. I was thinking close to 15 but could be mistaken.

15 GBP STi

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I'll be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to it as I assumed it was more for looks that anything useful. Reflecting back I suppose it would have told me if the car use to have a different tune on it. I am pretty sure it must have been on a stage 1 map or had the boost messed with before (if the gauge is accurate) since it was up around 17 I believe. Since I reset everything after buying it I would have to look and see what it shows as my peak. I was thinking close to 15 but could be mistaken.
    I think you should test it out next time you get the chance and that'll give us an idea. I don't ever recall it being just a gimmick, though.

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

5. Thanks Eagleye thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #15
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

For the sake of debate, I have 3 Defi gauges in an ATI triple-mount clock pod (that replaces the dashboard clock above the radio). In it, I have Boost, Oil Temperature and EGT. Oil temp *can* give you an idea of oil pressure if you know what to look for, though it's probably not as important as an oil pressure gauge. EGTs *can* directly relate to a given AFR. i.e. things are getting too hot, it's probably because I am running lean. And boost...well, because who doesn't like a boost gauge.

I was gifted those gauges many years ago, otherwise I might have chosen something different. But I do really like them.

My oath of enlistment has no expiration date.

Member Journal:
    https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/sho...Member-Journal

7. Thanks Eagleye thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I had my wife check the peak boost reading for me since I drove the beater today. She said it is showing 17.5 which from what I understand is pretty typical for the 15-17 models. They are set for 14.8 or so and depending on conditions will experience brief overboost of up to 20 on some cars. So I will start actually leaving that display up since it may prove useful. I'll watch what I get in WOT the next time I am out.

15 GBP STi

9. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

It's still winter, so we need to take that into consideration. It was in the low 10's earlier and now it's 17*.

However, it's odd that it would be overboosting on the stock exhaust... What have you read regarding overboost being typical on the 2015-2017 models? Why does it happen?

2019 Wishlist Parts - Option 2
    Accessport
    Wideband Gauge
    Oil Pressure Gauge
    Oil Pressure Gauge Filter Adapter Plate
    Cubby Gauge Holder
    Grimmspeed AOS
    ~$1,225

With the AP out the way, how much are the oil pressure gauge, adapter plate, and the GS AOS going to run you? If there are any funds remaining, why don't you start looking for a used CBE?

11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

It's still winter, so we need to take that into consideration. It was in the low 10's earlier and now it's 17*.

However, it's odd that it would be overboosting on the stock exhaust... What have you read regarding overboost being typical on the 2015-2017 models? Why does it happen?

2019 Wishlist Parts - Option 2
    Accessport
    Wideband Gauge
    Oil Pressure Gauge
    Oil Pressure Gauge Filter Adapter Plate
    Cubby Gauge Holder
    Grimmspeed AOS
    ~$1,225

With the AP out the way, how much are the oil pressure gauge, adapter plate, and the GS AOS going to run you? If there are any funds remaining, why don't you start looking for a used CBE?
    The numbers I provided are happening on stock STis. Not sure what is allowing it to do that in the tune, but with just a tune the issue mostly goes away.

Still waiting on Jordan to get me some numbers. I gave him too many things...luckily he has never seemed to mind. I am thinking I will be looking at about $400 or so for those things. I am actually quite happy with my exhaust and will get into that once I do the big motor build. Basically this thing is going to stay Stage 1 until I'm ready to spend big bucks on the rebuild. Hopefully that will be a ways off. Before I get there I will be looking into a carbon driveshaft, wheels, suspension upgrades.

15 GBP STi

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

The numbers I provided are happening on stock STis. Not sure what is allowing it to do that in the tune, but with just a tune the issue mostly goes away.

Still waiting on Jordan to get me some numbers. I gave him too many things...luckily he has never seemed to mind. I am thinking I will be looking at about $400 or so for those things. I am actually quite happy with my exhaust and will get into that once I do the big motor build. Basically this thing is going to stay Stage 1 until I'm ready to spend big bucks on the rebuild. Hopefully that will be a ways off. Before I get there I will be looking into a carbon driveshaft, wheels, suspension upgrades.
    Then, you're almost set in terms of power mods! Again, I recommend figuring out what exact suspension components you want and then looking for deals on used parts. I'm not in particular with any specific brands. For me, it's been whatever the best deal I could find was. I think @Batmobile_Engage can help you in the carbon fiber driveshaft department.

Wheels may be the biggest hurdle, but we will eventually conquer it!

13. Thanks Eagleye thanked for this post
    Likes Eagleye, Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #20
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

I LOVE my carbon fiber driveshaft. Got that from Jordan as well. They usually go on sale once a year for ~$900. Otherwise, they are usually ~$1,100.

My oath of enlistment has no expiration date.

Member Journal:
    https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/sho...Member-Journal

15. Thanks Eagleye, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Eagleye, Alin liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast