New To Subaru 2019 STi

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Looks great, I wish my car had received these treatments when the original owner bought it new. On the bright side, when I get a new scratch, I cringe but quickly move on. I think if I bought a new car my family would not let me take the car anywhere as the following scenario would likely unfold:

Everyone gets in the car and off we drive for groceries.
Start to park, realize someone 'could' park near me, park further away.
Still uncomfortable I park in a totally different lot at a closed business.
Now concerned about vandalism or theft, we park in a garage...our garage.
We take the wife's car.

Lol, I do park way out in the lot. Someone always parks beside me. I don't understand but it is so. Buying new creates a lot of stress.

I park in a parking garage for work. I get there early so I can get a safe spot. If I get in later, I go to the roof. Only other safe place since there are only a few cars there.

Totally worth the walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Regarding parking far away in lots...

Let's all agree that we may be somewhat delusional parking in the opposite ends of lots in order to protect our vehicles. However, people who park next to us at the end of the lot ARE MORE DELUSIONAL THAN WE ARE! :lmao: :tard:

My reaction every time that shit occurs:

giphy.gif

Phase 2 - Complete
Phase 3 - In progress

A few pics from Two Guys Window Tinting.

Fronts 25%, rear 15%

Should be able to pick it up after work Thursday or Friday morning.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome progress! :tup:

I forgot to ask, what was the exact mileage on the dashboard when you were handed over the keys?

How will you driving during the first 1,000 miles?

I totally meant to take a picture of that when I dropped off the car but failed. :( this is one of my boys best friends so am pretty sure the took it out for a joy ride before working on it. Ferris Bueller comes too easily to mind.

Break in is under 3k for 1k miles, oil change, then working up through the RPM range with some slow pulls in 4th or 5th gear. If everything feels and sounds good, then I can have some fun. Not completely broken in till 2nd oil change. No dropping the clutch from standstill ever.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I totally meant to take a picture of that when I dropped off the car but failed. :( this is one of my boys best friends so am pretty sure the took it out for a joy ride before working on it. Ferris Bueller comes too easily to mind.

Break in is under 3k for 1k miles, oil change, then working up through the RPM range with some slow pulls in 4th or 5th gear. If everything feels and sounds good, then I can have some fun. Not completely broken in till 2nd oil change. No dropping the clutch from standstill ever.

This is how trust issues begin to develop. :lol:

Picked up the car Thursday evening. Able to put 200+ miles on it by end of day Saturday. Raining all day today so took advantage to install the Kartboy short shifter, Lathewerks SS shift knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, and the F1 tail light (no pic). Haven't driven it yet but everything is ready to go for work tomorrow.

First 200 miles

Kartboy Short Shifter w/Lathewerks.com SS weighted shift knob

Rally Armor mud flaps

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome! I want to see pictures of the tail lights as well! :tup:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Awesome! I want to see pictures of the tail lights as well! :tup:

I've considered adding that bumper light as well but didn't want to get into a bunch of wiring just for a light. Was the F1 light a pretty quick install? I was thinking there must be some existing wiring nearby since the JDM version had it standard IIRC.

I've considered adding that bumper light as well but didn't want to get into a bunch of wiring just for a light. Was the F1 light a pretty quick install? I was thinking there must be some existing wiring nearby since the JDM version had it standard IIRC.

Subispeed sells a harness for around $15 which makes it plug and play. Can change back to stock and take it with you. I don't splice wires unless forced to. This was worth a few extra dollars.

I watched 3 videos, none were exactly what I needed. Took all three for me to put the pieces together. Not my hardest project but not as straight forward as it could have been. I could cut the time in half if doing it again...as with most projects.

I love it on this car so would do it again for sure.

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...........is the sound the reverse cable makes when the drive shaft wears through the protective outer layer. I have learned that it is critical to zip tie the extra cable you push under the car when installing the short shifter.

Very simple to do this but didn't realize the need to check it. I will replace the cable when I put in the Kartboy shift bushings in a few months. Had I been on my game, I may have covered the damaged area with JB Weld or gasket maker before zip tying the cable. Since I drove it in the rain today I am assuming it will rust and plan to replace the cable.

I have around 440 miles on the car. Have been working hard to keep the RPM under 3k. This car loves to rev and hits the power band around 2,500 so I find I have to really stay tuned in to keep things within reason. I changed from Sport to Intelligent drive mode and found the car much easier to keep inside break-in range. Looking forward to 1k miles with the oil change to allow the car to be driven naturally instead of based on an artificial number. I love the ride, firm without being harsh. Doesn't bottom out like my BMW (before the KW coilovers and occasionally after). The short shifter with weighted shift knob are perfect. The bushings should make the shifting even better. Overall, pleased with the car and driving experience. Now I look forward to some time in the car with my daily commute.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Have you read the owner's manual yet? Do you have any questions at all?

Glad you're enjoying it! Can't wait to hear updates after the break in! :tup:

I read much of it while waiting for the car to be prepped. I need to get back into it now that I have the car in hand and can work with the car while reading through the material.

Made it to 1K miles last weekend. Drove around a bit so that I ended up in the driveway for the picture. I hadn't noticed on the forums how much work it was to take off the underbody panel to get to the oil plug and filter. Most work for oil change I have had to do in years. My other cars have an access panel...fail!

Did a few pulls through the RPM range after verifying everything was good to go as expected. Haven't had a chance to drive it spirited but can at least drive normally which has been great.

A bit disappointed with the shifter. Not the snick, snick you get with some cars. It is fine, but not fast. Hoping a bit more break-in will smooth it out a bit. Have considered it could be the operator.

Cheers!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, hell of an under tray on the new cars! It definitely doesn't take long to take mine off, but then again, it doesn't cover as wide of a range as your does and most likely has less mounting points.

Congrats on 1,000 miles!

What do you mean by "Not the snick, snick you get with some cars" with the shifter?

Snick = Quick, fluid, smooth. I really feel this come out of one gear into neutral then feels like a separate motion to move into the next. The shift through the gears isn't very fast or smooth.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, you always have the option of getting a short throw shifter with bushings. It made a big difference to me in my 04. Look at [MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] 's thread on his review for the shifter he got for his VA. However, if I recall correctly, he didn't install the bushings yet.