Redline 11104 0w40 full synthetic motor oil? (Good or bad for 2014 Subaru Impreza STI

sniperkill

Well guy?s. My question is just what the title says. The reason I?m asking is cuz I?ve never heard of this ?Ester based? thing is and if it?s good or not. I?m reading more and more that it?s good and the more the better but at $100 for 5 quarts from ecstuning.com is highway robbery.

Best regards,
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=6754]sniperkill[/MENTION]

Oil has become a topic I try to steer away from because everyone has a different opinion regarding it. There is no right or wrong answer as long as the oil is fully synthetic, is of the right weight, and meets/exceeds it's intended purpose for a specific application. When it comes to temperature and viscosity, it'll really come down to what application you'll be using the oil for. If you're racing and temperatures reach really high, then you're better off with oil that is intended for higher temperatures and created for racing purposes. If you only drive around on public roads and do some spirited driving here and there, you're better off with oil such as Rotella T6.

Money is out of the equation because what you value may not be the same as what I value. You have to determine for yourself what you're willing to spend on oil and if it's worth it to you personally.

The best answer that I can give you is this: YOU have to try out each individual oil brand and type for YOURSELF and get Used Oil Analyses (UOA's) done on each individual one. I've used Blackstone Labs a multitude of times and I high recommend them to do it. :tup:

If you care, I've been using Rotella T6 as my only oil of choice in ALL of my vehicles for a number of years now. I decided at one point that for my application, this is the best oil for me to use. The biggest advantage of this decision is that it's really cheap and easily/readily available at Walmart. I use it in both gasoline and diesel engines.

sniperkill

[MENTION=6754]sniperkill[/MENTION]

Oil has become a topic I try to steer away from because everyone has a different opinion regarding it. There is no right or wrong answer as long as the oil is fully synthetic, is of the right weight, and meets/exceeds it's intended purpose for a specific application. When it comes to temperature and viscosity, it'll really come down to what application you'll be using the oil for. If you're racing and temperatures reach really high, then you're better off with oil that is intended for higher temperatures and created for racing purposes. If you only drive around on public roads and do some spirited driving here and there, you're better off with oil such as Rotella T6.

Money is out of the equation because what you value may not be the same as what I value. You have to determine for yourself what you're willing to spend on oil and if it's worth it to you personally.

The best answer that I can give you is this: YOU have to try out each individual oil brand and type for YOURSELF and get Used Oil Analyses (UOA's) done on each individual one. I've used Blackstone Labs a multitude of times and I high recommend them to do it. :tup:

If you care, I've been using Rotella T6 as my only oil of choice in ALL of my vehicles for a number of years now. I decided at one point that for my application, this is the best oil for me to use. The biggest advantage of this decision is that it's really cheap and easily/readily available at Walmart. I use it in both gasoline and diesel engines.

I appreciate your feedback. I know all to well how highly debated this topic is. The reason I?m asking is cuz you know when your shopping on the ebay app or the amazon app, when your shopping for your car when you select certain parts there?s a little box near the top of your screen that says if the part your looking at will fit your car or not. Now I know this is only used as a general guideline but when I was looking at this oil it said that this oil wasn?t for my car, which got me wondering. So I figured I would ask if this oil is a decent oil for my Subaru? I haven?t seen any UOA?s on the Redline, but I did see a few UOA?s for the Motul 0w40 oil that looked very good. So imma just go with Motul 0w40 for now

Eagleye

Tinkerer
@sniperkill

[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] nailed it with that post. I see oil threads turn into all out wars on other forums and it is sad. This is strictly my opinion, but it seems more than likely in the stories I hear of people blaming an oil for their blown motor...they either: A. Were running the incorrect type of oil for their application. B. Were running the wrong weight oil for their application. C. They do not follow a sound maintenance schedule. D. It had nothing to do with oil at all because they were running on a poor tune and/or a poor group of cobbled together parts. Or E. Some combination of the above.

Eventhough I run AmsOil Signature in my STi currently and have sworn by it...I tried Rotella T6 about a year ago and haven?t looked back. It now goes in everything I have and will go in the STi next time as well. It really should hold up to anything we can throw at our street cars. As [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] said though if the car becomes purpose built for racing or has a built motor I would follow the guidance of the engine builder/tuners involved.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I appreciate your feedback. I know all to well how highly debated this topic is. The reason I?m asking is cuz you know when your shopping on the ebay app or the amazon app, when your shopping for your car when you select certain parts there?s a little box near the top of your screen that says if the part your looking at will fit your car or not. Now I know this is only used as a general guideline but when I was looking at this oil it said that this oil wasn?t for my car, which got me wondering. So I figured I would ask if this oil is a decent oil for my Subaru? I haven?t seen any UOA?s on the Redline, but I did see a few UOA?s for the Motul 0w40 oil that looked very good. So imma just go with Motul 0w40 for now

Why run 0W?

From your initial post, use a feeler gauge for determining gap. They are under $10 on Amazon.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
OW often comes up to temperature faster and provides more protection from damage when putting around town and suddenly going WOT. This of course is usually true as long as you don't have lots of high temp summer days (idk where you live). If you have high summer temps and/or you track the car a lot, 0W is usually going to get unduly hot and thin out too much. This is all very general though and Alin's answer is pretty spot on. Grinder and Boogieman can probably tell you about oil temps on the track.

As for plugs...never trust pregapped plugs to be right. I find as many as 50% improperly gapped right out of the box. Every parts store in the country has cheap gap gauges for sale next to the register for a couple bucks.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=6754]sniperkill[/MENTION] , $100 for 5 quarts of oil is highway robbery. :lol: If you become a Platinum member, you'd have the opportunity and privilege of buying Amsoil products at cost. Talk to [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] about it. :tup:

sniperkill

[MENTION=6754]sniperkill[/MENTION] , $100 for 5 quarts of oil is highway robbery. :lol: If you become a Platinum member, you'd have the opportunity and privilege of buying Amsoil products at cost. Talk to [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] about it. :tup:

Hhhmmmmm(scratching chin) interesting..... thanks