Why do some vehicles not have a tachometer?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
There are quite a few older vehicles that do not have tachometers from the factory. They're usually older vehicles from the 1980's, 1990's, and some 2000's. I had a 1994 Toyota Pickup truck that had a 5 speed manual and no tachometer. I know of Chevy Econolines, some Bentley's, some Volvo's, and I'm sure that there's a bunch more that I'm not even aware of.

Why? Especially if the car has a manual transmission. Isn't a tachometer a crucial instrument to monitor, especially when the engine is cold?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm guessing here, but unless you're racing or something You're probably not going near redline anyways. So do it by feel. And as for cold starts, drive slower!

Last edited:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I can?t answer your question but never thought it was too odd on automatic vehicles. I do however find it odd you had a manual with no tach...I?ve never seen that.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Volvo:

s-l1600.jpg

Toyota:

166361d1501528238-help-fixing-broken-speedometer-odometer-dsc00835.jpg

Bentley:

1989_bentley_eight_153868159298764da8740BE40-D697-4989-9D43-5F7EFB302349.jpeg

Rolls Royce:

IMG_6643.jpg

Alright, I understand the luxury and automatic vehicle, but in manual transmission cars? You need a tachometer! :lol: The Volvo and Toyota models come in a manual transmission!

Groaning up my I?m had a 1990 Chevy s-10 that was a 5 speed with no tach. Had to lead to drove by feel instead of looking at the tach. That being said the car was dead not meant to go to redline on regular basis. I have seen this on Toyota echo?s as well and a few other cars. My take is that your supposed to drive conservatively and by feel, not race it. However if not having a factory tach is an issue you could always add an aftermarket tach at little cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Groaning up my I?m had a 1990 Chevy s-10 that was a 5 speed with no tach. Had to lead to drove by feel instead of looking at the tach. That being said the car was dead not meant to go to redline on regular basis. I have seen this on Toyota echo?s as well and a few other cars. My take is that your supposed to drive conservatively and by feel, not race it. However if not having a factory tach is an issue you could always add an aftermarket tach at little cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like this person did just that!!! :lmao:

DSCN1676.jpg