Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Bought a 2005 STi with 205000+ miles

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Bought a 2005 STi with 205000+ miles

I just bought a Blobeye (2005) STi a few months ago, and I absolutely LOVE it. The car has about 205000 miles, I bought it from a dealership in the northern Cincinnati area (Springdale/Tri-County), with a brand new clutch just put into it a week before I drove it off the lot. The car has had two previous owners (I'm the third) and the sales manager told me that the guy who traded it in had the engine replaced 50k miles before... idk, it runs strong and is pretty quiet - but I have no real way of knowing if that's true unless I split the case and look.
    Anyone have any advice on how to confirm if the engine is the original from factory, or if it's been replaced?

Happy to be here, thanks for having me!

- Sly

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin, Eagleye thanked for this post
    Likes ITZ_GODZIRRRAAA!, IGOTASTi, Alin, Eagleye liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Bought a 2005 STi with 205000+ miles

I recommend asking the dealer to give your contact information to the previous owner and ask them to contact you.

Car looks great! Welcome and thanks for the pics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Street_sly_STi thanked for this post
    Likes Street_sly_STi liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Good looking car! I wish mine was white! (I have a silver) Haha. Hope you can find out if everything is legit. Welcome to the group though, any future plans for it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Likes Street_sly_STi liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ITZ_GODZIRRRAAA! View Post
    Good looking car! I wish mine was white! (I have a silver) Haha. Hope you can find out if everything is legit. Welcome to the group though, any future plans for it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks so much! The white is definitely my favorite also. Yeah I have a few things in mind glad you asked.
    I have a catch can system I plan to get soon, along with new silicone hoses and turbo couplers from Mishimoto. I got a new PCV valve from Subaru a week ago, and will install that when I have all the other hoses to do all that at the same time. After I replace all the gaskets, seals and belts, both front axles and endlinks, I'll be looking at a Cobb intake, new catless turbo-back exhaust (hoping for Ti Invidia or Tomei), blouch ceramic coated ballbearing turbo (oem has seen a good life already) not bigger just new, some sway bars, replacing all the bushings I can, and sit it on some nice race coilovers - not really for stance (although a little low would be okay) more for performance handling. I'm searching for new wheels, I think I want to go 9.5 wide if I can fit them without rubbing or cutting the body. A few little things here and there, but that's most of what I have planned for it so far.
    One day, the sooner the better obviously, I'd like to buy a brand new EJ25 block and build it up with forged internals, pistons, rods, ARP head studs and case bolts... I'll do all this on a stand, while running the engine I currently have, then just do a clean swap to the built block, and rebuild the engine that's in there now. Throw a nice race clutch on, and that mostly sums it up.
    Anything I might have missed? Suggestions? Thanks for asking

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Alin, Eagleye thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, Eagleye liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Welcome to IGOTASTI, fellow Ohioan! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Congrats on the new ride!!

What other cars have you had in the past? How does the STi compare to them?

Can you post some pictures of the interior and the engine bay?

Due to age, mileage, and being an Ohio car, does the car have any rust? One aspect that is extremely often overlooked is the weatherstripping in between the trunk and the spoiler. 17 bolts hold that spoiler onto the trunk, so extremely few people ever bother to replace it! I had to get rid of my trunk years ago because it was rusting under the spoiler. The easiest way to to check is with a flashlight through the two drain holes on both ends of the spoiler. You will see small indentations for narrow water drains.

Here is the best picture I could find online to give you an idea:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Used-2005-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	7699

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

10. Thanks Street_sly_STi, Eagleye thanked for this post
    Likes Street_sly_STi, Eagleye liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Its never been an issue for me, but dont engines have the VIN on them? So if the VIN matches your car its original, otherwise its not.

Check out my journal here!

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club. Turn In Concepts in Cinci has an all wheel drive dyno. I am sure they can tell you if it is stock or had a tune. There are a lot of nice packages out there. Feel free to check mine out. Maybe I will see you around Cinci.

13. Likes Eagleye liked this post