Axle question

I am in the process of an engine rebuild, and have noticed that my front axles are in need of attention. I am nearing the end of my budget, and was looking for input on rebuilding my stock axles, or the purchase of quality aftermarkets. Has anyone had any issues, or suggestions either way??

Thanks

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
First of all, you joined this forum 5 years ago and this is your first post. I'd welcome you to the site, but I'm assuming you've been researching and learning for the past 5 years. Post some pictures of the ride, though!

Are you rebuilding because of age or because you're going to be outputting more power? What's currently wrong with the axles that they require attention? If you're not making big power, why not just get OEM ones as replacements?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Check out https://www.raxles.com/products.aspx. Drive Shaft Shop might be able to help as well, but the way I understand, they require you to have good cv joints in order to put together a rebuilt axle.

I am not finding much in the way of DIY rebuild kits. Are you thinking the cv joints are toast?

Last edited:
After 250k, I burnt a valve in cylinder 4. I am doing a mild power upgrade
(only planning on putting down around 400whp)
, and noticed that the boots are torn on the axles. No noise, but with 250k on them, I was thinking they could use to be refreshed or replaced. Have been looking around to see if stock axles are ok with this, but have not found very much information. I guess that is the question I should have asked.

And when I get her back on the road, I will be posting pics.

Thanks

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It's going to really come down to how you drive the car. I would personally just replace them with new OEM ones, but that's just me. I recall the STi axles being strong enough to hold around 500WHP from my past research, but you have to do YOUR own research as well. The past aftermarket axles that I researched on were rated for something like 700+ WHP. I didn't look extensively into the matter because I'll never have anywhere near that amount of power, so it's null and void to me. Stock will forever suffice for me.

A really quick search nets people being divisive on the matter. Some say the limit is 400 WHP and some say even 700 WHP isn't enough if you know how to properly driver. (Meaning that you don't launch the car from redline.)

Ultimately, you have to come to your own conclusion depending on what you think and how you drive the car.

It will always be a daily driver, that will see just a few track days. I thought that they would be able to handle it, but I couldn't find anything definitive. Thank you very much for the info. It has been a great help.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Keep in mind, stock axles can usually handle more abuse with a carbon fiber driveshaft installed. The CF DS will flex a bit under high transient loads, as opposed to the steel shaft that transmits all that shock to the rear end.

It's not a magic bullet, so to speak, but it should provide some level of drivetrain protection.

Just a thought...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
"Track" being dragstrip with sticky tires... Or more hpde type situation? If the latter, id personally be looking oem as the abuse is pretty low in higher gears and few hard launches.