Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low oil pressure/new rattle

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Low oil pressure/new rattle

‘04 STi normally cold isles around 90-95psi, hot idles around 10-12psi. About 2 days ago, it started hot idling around 2psi, and there is a new “rattle” when accelerating around 3000rpm. Anybody dealt with this before? I’m thinking I may have sheared the oil pickup from its flange But not sure if it may be something else. Cold idle is still about 80psi, and blipping the throttle to 2000rpm at hot idle still immediately regains pressure to 25-30psi.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Low oil pressure/new rattle

I'd definitely stop running the engine and drop the oil pan and have a look at the pickup.

Low oil pressure is no joke and if the pickup is having an issue (although still somewhat functioning at the moment) it can easily go to not-working-at-all and kill the motor.

Check out my journal here!

3. Likes Batmobile_Engage, Eagleye liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Forgot to ask, where is the rattle coming from, and what does it sound like?

Check out my journal here!

5. Likes Batmobile_Engage, Eagleye liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 04MdNghtSTi View Post
    ‘04 STi normally cold isles around 90-95psi, hot idles around 10-12psi. About 2 days ago, it started hot idling around 2psi, and there is a new “rattle” when accelerating around 3000rpm. Anybody dealt with this before? I’m thinking I may have sheared the oil pickup from its flange But not sure if it may be something else. Cold idle is still about 80psi, and blipping the throttle to 2000rpm at hot idle still immediately regains pressure to 25-30psi.
    Does the dummy light come on when you see low oil pressure? If not check you gauge, if it does check your pickup tube. Do not drive it till you get this sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock on

7. Likes Batmobile_Engage, Eagleye liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

Also, if this is not your daily driver and you can afford some down time, you may want to consider a Used Oil Analysis, to determine if your bearings starting eating themselves already or not. Hopefully not, and you caught the problem before causing any serious damage.
    @Alin and @Grinder34 can probably tell you more about UOA's.

My oath of enlistment has no expiration date.

Member Journal:
    https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/sho...Member-Journal

9. Likes Eagleye liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...0bjyo%29%29%2F

Blackstone Labs is where it's at for UOA's! Since I've been doing UOA's for a long time, I have 3-5 spare kits in the garage readily available in case I need results ASAP. The kits are free from Blackstone Labs. When you send in your test tube with the oil you want analyzed, there's a slip of paper where you write down all of the information alongside with your method of payment.

I'd definitely stop driving the car in the meantime and get an UOA done. Also, keep researching. An UOA will tell you a lot about your motor! Even if you don't need/want the info, it's a nice peace of mind knowing your motor is healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses everyone! I got home from work yesterday, did the daunting task of taking the oil pan and pickup off to have a look. Pickup was perfectly fine. Put everything back together last night. Started it up, sounded fine. Had to drive it to work this morning 12 miles (not thinking I was THAT close to failure), and the motor died on me. Once after driving about 10 miles, but then started back up as I was rolling. Oil pressure went to like 20 psi while driving/limping it, and it killed itself as I pulled into the visitor lot at work.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 04MdNghtSTi View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses everyone! I got home from work yesterday, did the daunting task of taking the oil pan and pickup off to have a look. Pickup was perfectly fine. Put everything back together last night. Started it up, sounded fine. Had to drive it to work this morning 12 miles (not thinking I was THAT close to failure), and the motor died on me. Once after driving about 10 miles, but then started back up as I was rolling. Oil pressure went to like 20 psi while driving/limping it, and it killed itself as I pulled into the visitor lot at work.
    Any knocking, grinding, etc when it died? Did the oil pressure plummet when it was stalling out? No metal shavings/flakes in the oil when you drained/dropped the pan?

15 GBP STi

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@Grinder34 The rattle sounded like it was coming from the front of the car, but almost to the effect of a small exhaust leak, not a knocking sound.
    @Raven32 There was never any indication from a sensor/gauge saying there was anything wrong. No CEL, no low oil dummy light,. Only what the Prosport oil pressure gauge was reading, which I’ve heard they read wrong frequently. And the new faint rattle sound.

Looks like I’ll be tearing the motor apart now. ??

14. Thanks Eagleye thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

@Eagleye yea it started knocking/grinding a lot when it was stalling out the 2nd time, but nothing the first time. If it was knocking, ive never heard it sound like that. I’ve heard knock before (not in this car) and this sounded different. No metal or flakes in the oil at all when I drained it.

16. Thanks Eagleye thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast