AEM Intake and Downpipe Combo

OrtizSti

hey guys, I just wanted to know if I could install an aem intake and downpipe with a protune and not run into any issues, Nightmotorsport here by Los Angeles told me that I would be fine and didn't need bigger injectors or fuel pump, but I still wanted some info from others with experience. Thanks in advance for the help.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!

First of all, what vehicle do you have? If you're going to be getting a protune, then an intake and a downpipe will be acceptable. However, I personally suggest you keep the stock intake as it's suitable up to the 400 WHP range and you can use the money saved on an intake to put it towards sway bars and end links, for example. Are you going to be getting tuned through a Cobb Accessport or through a Tactrix cable and Romraider, also known as Opensource?

OrtizSti

Welcome to IGOTASTI!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!

First of all, what vehicle do you have? If you're going to be getting a protune, then an intake and a downpipe will be acceptable. However, I personally suggest you keep the stock intake as it's suitable up to the 400 WHP range and you can use the money saved on an intake to put it towards sway bars and end links, for example. Are you going to be getting tuned through a Cobb Accessport or through a Tactrix cable and Romraider, also known as Opensource?

Thank you for the warm welcome! It is a 2019 Sti, it'll get tuned through the Cobb Accessport

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Not meant to discourage you at all but you are aware that this will typically cause warranty issues with anything motor related? Dealers/Subaru have become very aware of tuning over the years and can see if your car had been tuned even if you change it back. Just a heads up if that matters to you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OrtizSti

Not meant to discourage you at all but you are aware that this will typically cause warranty issues with anything motor related? Dealers/Subaru have become very aware of tuning over the years and can see if your car had been tuned even if you change it back. Just a heads up if that matters to you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you for informing me about that! Do you think I?ll run into any problems if I proceed to do the mods I mentioned? Because that?s honestly all I?m doing for now

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Thank you for informing me about that! Do you think I?ll run into any problems if I proceed to do the mods I mentioned? Because that?s honestly all I?m doing for now

I agree with Alin and see little reason to do the intake at your power level (near stock). I did a drop in AEM filter that has been great. Most people do an intake early on just for the extra noise. I doubt the physical mods will cause any issues with warranty claims, it is the tune that is necessary with them that can cause your claim to be denied. I ultimately decided to say screw it with my 2015 even though it is still under powertrain warranty. You need to do what you want and feel comfortable with. If you are satisfied with the power but want more rumbles you can do a catback without a tune and drop in a factory style AEM filter and call it a day. If you want more power you just need to decide if you want to risk having your warranty claim denied if it goes boom in the future. There are a mix of stories out there regarding whether this or that will be covered if your car has been tuned. I just wanted you to be aware of the possibilities.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Generally speaking, when people have engine problems from mods and such, the root cause is either: 1. A sub-par tune. 2. Driver error. Most commonly, it's a combination of both.

There are certain things you shouldn't do, like lugging the engine (foot to the floor, in high gear, at low speed) for example. While that usually isn't going to grenade your engine, lugging on a crap tune most certainly can cause damage. There is a good "First Time Turbo Owners" thread that covers a lot of these kind of things. Once you begin to understand how your driving habits can cause conditions such as overboost, the safer your engine will be. I've seen people blow up brand new, bone stock STi's just by driving like an idiot.

That said, the tune is the major deciding factor in engine health.

OrtizSti

I agree with Alin and see little reason to do the intake at your power level (near stock). I did a drop in AEM filter that has been great. Most people do an intake early on just for the extra noise. I doubt the physical mods will cause any issues with warranty claims, it is the tune that is necessary with them that can cause your claim to be denied. I ultimately decided to say screw it with my 2015 even though it is still under powertrain warranty. You need to do what you want and feel comfortable with. If you are satisfied with the power but want more rumbles you can do a catback without a tune and drop in a factory style AEM filter and call it a day. If you want more power you just need to decide if you want to risk having your warranty claim denied if it goes boom in the future. There are a mix of stories out there regarding whether this or that will be covered if your car has been tuned. I just wanted you to be aware of the possibilities.

Yea basically I?m doing it for the noise. I?m hoping with just the intake and downpipe I won?t blow the engine, that?s why I wanted some more info from you guys that know your stuff unlike me.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I would also suggest you get a conservative tune when the times comes for you to get your car protuned. I, personally, would rather play it safe and lose out on 15-30 WHP/WTQ knowing the engine would have a higher chance of surviving an error that you could intentionally or unintentionally produce later down the road.

Realistically, what you should be doing right now BEFORE anything else, is reading and acquiring as much knowledge as you can! Then, getting as much seat time behind the wheel as you can and understand how the car behaves. :tup:

I would also suggest you get a conservative tune when the times comes for you to get your car protuned. I, personally, would rather play it safe and lose out on 15-30 WHP/WTQ knowing the engine would have a higher chance of surviving an error that you could intentionally or unintentionally produce later down the road.

Realistically, what you should be doing right now BEFORE anything else, is reading and acquiring as much knowledge as you can! Then, getting as much seat time behind the wheel as you can and understand how the car behaves. :tup:

This right here 1000%. Seat time and knowledge with net you more gains and I are than any other mod you can think of. Enjoy your car in it?s original form for a bit before changing anything. I say this because, it?s important to have a strong idea of where you are starting with. I would say give your self at least a years worth of daily driving before you start modding. This will allow you to know the characteristics of that particular STI. As every STI is different even when stock.

OrtizSti

Generally speaking, when people have engine problems from mods and such, the root cause is either: 1. A sub-par tune. 2. Driver error. Most commonly, it's a combination of both.

There are certain things you shouldn't do, like lugging the engine (foot to the floor, in high gear, at low speed) for example. While that usually isn't going to grenade your engine, lugging on a crap tune most certainly can cause damage. There is a good "First Time Turbo Owners" thread that covers a lot of these kind of things. Once you begin to understand how your driving habits can cause conditions such as overboost, the safer your engine will be. I've seen people blow up brand new, bone stock STi's just by driving like an idiot.

That said, the tune is the major deciding factor in engine health.
That thread was the first thing I read when I went into this site lol

OrtizSti

ive been doing a lot of reading, but I haven?t found anything regarding the intake and downpipe combo that I asked at first, that?s what I mainly wanted to get info on, before I decided to install the parts, I?ve seen that a lot of people say it?s okay to do it but others say that I need injectors and a fuel pump. The shop that I asked about for the protune told me that I didn?t need the injectors and fuel pump. I want to trust their word and go for it but then again I don?t want my engine to go bye-bye.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are you implying that you will be installing the parts, presumably at home, and then driving to the shop to get a protune? DO NOT INSTALL ANY PARTS that affect the engine unless the protune is getting done the moment they are installed! The shop would need to install the parts on your car and then tune the car for the parts immediately after.

OrtizSti

Are you implying that you will be installing the parts, presumably at home, and then driving to the shop to get a protune? DO NOT INSTALL ANY PARTS that affect the engine unless the protune is getting done the moment they are installed! The shop would need to install the parts on your car and then tune the car for the parts immediately after.
I will have them install it at the shop then, I should be fine tho right

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
As long as you drive your vehicle to the shop in stock form, yes you will be fine. If you don't want to cause any unnecessary damage intentionally or unintentionally, then the shop needs to install the mods and protune your vehicle immediately after. These engines are extremely finicky when it comes to modifications without a proper tune. It, alongside uneducated owners, is the main reason why so many people experience problems, sometimes even catastrophic failures, when it comes to WRX's and STi's. Play it safe, educate yourself, and learn from other people's mistakes.

OrtizSti

As long as you drive your vehicle to the shop in stock form, yes you will be fine. If you don't want to cause any unnecessary damage intentionally or unintentionally, then the shop needs to install the mods and protune your vehicle immediately after. These engines are extremely finicky when it comes to modifications without a proper tune. It, alongside uneducated owners, is the main reason why so many people experience problems, sometimes even catastrophic failures, when it comes to WRX's and STi's. Play it safe, educate yourself, and learn from other people's mistakes.
i meant as in I?ll be fine with the intake and downpipe combo? No need for injectors and fuel pump, right?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
There is a lot of fear mongering in the Subaru community. This site is a good resource as we have little misinformation ever posted, and when it is there is a correction made by a mod or another member. You will notice a lot of "you must do X or you will blow up your car" or "never do Y because your car will blow up". Be rational. Having a turbo, this car is sensitive to air and fueling changes. With that in mind it is wise to limit time a car is driven without a proper tune following mods. A canned tune from Cobb for your mods will get you in the ballpark to drive to the tuner. If you can trailer the car that would be ideal but isn't realistic for everyone. When I built my motor for the 06 STi I had George (member here) make me a safe tune for me to drive out of boost until the car was dyno tuned. It did not blow up because I understood that I needed to drive gently and out of boost.

Do not live in fear of your car blowing up. Take advice of experienced members on this forum and your preferred tuning shop. Enjoy and keep asking questions. Learning about these cars is a fun process.