The Best Cars In Respective Price Ranges

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I hope this is the correct section for this type of thread.

Let's determine what the best cars are in the following price ranges. Let's refer to "best" as in overall in terms of performance, reliability, and value (bang for buck). We cannot suggest project cars. These have to be cars you can buy right now that are in fully operating condition with no major, hindering problems. Let's use Craigslist, eBay, and Autotrader as the main sources. The issue with using BringATrailer is that most cars are in pristine condition on there that retain high value.

Cars Under $1,000
-Most likely any Honda, Toyota, or Volkswagen with really high mileage. (There are countless out there.)

Cars Between $1,000 and $5,000
-2002-2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (I speak from personal experience.)
-1998-2001 Audi A8 (I Speak from personal experience.)
-1999-2004 Volkswagen Jetta (any engine/transmission type) (I speak from personal experience.)
-1999-2004 Volkswagen Passat (any engine/transmission type) (I speak from personal experience.)

Cars Between $5,000 and $10,000
-1999-2004 Mustang GT
-2004-2006 Mini Cooper S

Cars Between $10,000 and $15,000

Cars Between $15,000 and $20,000

Cars Between $20,000 and $25,000

Cars Between $25,000 and $30,000

Cars Between $30,000 and $35,000

Cars Between $35,000 and $40,000

We'll add more later after we fill the current categories.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just used cars or new cars as well?

I initially had used cars in mind at first, but I like the idea of including new cars as well.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Some have such wide ranges! Like you know I'm partial to an E39 M5, but that can go from maybe $10k to $30k depending on "stuff"

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Some have such wide ranges! Like you know I'm partial to an E39 M5, but that can go from maybe $10k to $30k depending on "stuff"

That's why I mentioned: " Let's refer to "best" as in overall in terms of performance, reliability, and value (bang for buck). We cannot suggest project cars. These have to be cars you can buy right now that are in fully operating condition with no major, hindering problems."

I've seen prices on those M5's and they are definitely all over the place depending on many variables. I've seen $20,000 as the average price of a well sorted out M5 that is ready to go and just needs a driver that will actually drive the car. :lol:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Between $5-10k I would have to say a 99-04 Mustang GT. I had a 2000 that was very reliable, fun to drive, amazing exhaust note with my high flow SLP catted X paired with Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers. No others around running something like that as the conventional wisdom was to only run X midpipes with "shotgun" style mufflers like the SLP and H midpipes with chambered mufflers like Flowmaster 40/44/etc. While the 4.6L 2V was not a huge power motor it was low maintence and took bolt-ons pretty well. Supercharging was fairly easy too.

A set of 373 or 410 rear gears, short shift kit, lowering springs, and sticky tires made for an inexpensive and fun car.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
In the same 5-10k range I would throw in the 04-06 Mini Cooper S. The supercharged versions were fun little city, twisty road cars. Some inexpensive parts (supercharger pulley kit, lowering springs, sticky tires) made the car a blast to drive hard. One of those cars that is the definition of having more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
In the same 5-10k range I would throw in the 04-06 Mini Cooper S. The supercharged versions were fun little city, twisty road cars. Some inexpensive parts (supercharger pulley kit, lowering springs, sticky tires) made the car a blast to drive hard. One of those cars that is the definition of having more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Had an 02 MCS. I miss that thing. When I got the subaru it ended up living in my work garage for a while until I ended up selling it. It didnt have ultimate grip, but it inspired a lot of confidence and was very controllable. On the first drive home in months, I put it into a 4 wheel drift through the first stop light just for giggles.

me1.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you're a moderator, feel free to edit my post with your choices. I added the two vehicles in their respective categories.

Keep them coming! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Had an 02 MCS. I miss that thing. When I got the subaru it ended up living in my work garage for a while until I ended up selling it. It didnt have ultimate grip, but it inspired a lot of confidence and was very controllable. On the first drive home in months, I put it into a 4 wheel drift through the first stop light just for giggles.

View attachment 7832

I've never been that interested in Minis, just from an aesthetic standpoint. But that short wheelbase sure seems like a lot of fun, kinda like that Miata I drove for a couple weeks as a loaner, back in the day. A shit ton of fun, even at 12whp. :lol:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I've never been that interested in Minis, just from an aesthetic standpoint. But that short wheelbase sure seems like a lot of fun, kinda like that Miata I drove for a couple weeks as a loaner, back in the day. A shit ton of fun, even at 12whp. :lol:

I think my go-kart as a kid only had 5-10hp so 12whp is pretty good since the curb weight was probably about the same :lol: