Lean with Missfire's

Grinder34

Track Monkey
All 3. no cel's. Only way you can get an inspection for emissions is to pass all monitors with no codes

So each state is a little different. I know you cant have any monitors throw codes, but you can usually have 1-3 monitors as "not ready." (in Texas and DC it's 2 monitors at least).

With my M5 i DEFNITELY use that to my advantage:
1) Clear codes (which sets all monitors to "not ready"
2) Drive gently, constantly checking an OBDII scanner to see how many "not ready" monitors are. Each car is different about what it takes to cycle.
3) As soon as only 2 are left, go directly to inspection station.

I'm sure you could do that with an "ultra-safe" map, like a tuner's base map, to get passed.

Mason Johnson

So each state is a little different. I know you cant have any monitors throw codes, but you can usually have 1-3 monitors as "not ready." (in Texas and DC it's 2 monitors at least).

With my M5 i DEFNITELY use that to my advantage:
1) Clear codes (which sets all monitors to "not ready"
2) Drive gently, constantly checking an OBDII scanner to see how many "not ready" monitors are. Each car is different about what it takes to cycle.
3) As soon as only 2 are left, go directly to inspection station.

I'm sure you could do that with an "ultra-safe" map, like a tuner's base map, to get passed.

My codes are pending does that matter? In Pa its only 1 monitor.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My codes are pending does that matter? In Pa its only 1 monitor.

On my cheapie scanner I believe it's either "READY" "INC" or "NOT READY". I have passed with two "NOT READY" but even 1x "INC" sets off the check-engine light and will fail.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Sorry for being MIA on this one. In regards to passing emissions that should not be a problem. I cannot guarentee this will work for you, but I paired one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_rgVUDbRJVY5CX with my truck and passed inspection every year by turning the code off as I parked at the service center for inspection. It does not look to them like a computer reset, just clears any codes. This will buy you some time until you can get the problem solved. My life has been turned a bit upside down lately but I could swing by and see the car on Saturday when I am in Hanover if you will be around? I won't have much time but seeing and hearing things in person may give me some thoughts on where you can go from here.

I tried to read through the thread to catch up so I am sorry if I missed this, but has anything been done with the fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator? Given that the bulk of your issue is now at idle, assuming you went through the proper re-tune procedure, I would say this is not tune related but a fuel delivery issue.

Mason Johnson

Fuel pressure regulator was not replaced but the fuel filter was. Car is currently at Subaru to see what they can find. If they can't find anything I'll keep you guys posted.

Mason Johnson

Car is fixed and inspected. Turns out the intake manifold was leaking on the passengers side which was making the lean code and misfire appear in the codes. Everything is all good now thanks for the help everyone!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Glad you got it fixed and passed inspection! :tup: Is it running flawlessly now?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Get us some more pictures of the ride and perhaps even a video! Hope you're enjoying it! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Also, why are you running on 91 octane? Doesn't PA have 93? Have you tried the Stage 2 93 OTS map since the recent repairs?

I had him running that map as an extra layer of protection during what seemed to be lean AFRs. I figured, if he's filling up with 93, but running a 91 tune, that might be enough extra octane to prevent or dampen any knock events that would otherwise cause damage while troubleshooting.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Things have been pretty crazy for me over the last month or two and I got behind on this. Great to see that you got it fixed! Sorry you had to go through all that but I'll bet it was a big learning experience. :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Things have been pretty crazy for me over the last month or two and I got behind on this. Great to see that you got it fixed! Sorry you had to go through all that but I'll bet it was a big learning experience. :tup:

EVERYTHING regarding cars is a learning experience, especially when things don't go your way. You know this all too well! :rofl:

oliverthom707

I'm not too familiar with Cobb's more recent tunes, but from what I recall, the tunes for GD era Subies don't factor in an aftermarket intake.

They are designed for use with a Cobb downpipe alone.

Part of this is because the factory intake supports 400whp as it is, so there's not a lot of reason to replace it early on. thoptv apk
Hellodear

Last edited: