Shopping for an STi hatch.

STiDawg

Test drove one for first time today. Had no idea these were that fast! Now I'm hooked and gonna take the plunge. Hard to find a clean hatchback below 100k that's not blue. The one I drove today had 150k. Really not feeling very confident in one with so many miles. Looking forward to starting my steep learning curve.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Test drove one for first time today. Had no idea these were that fast! Now I'm hooked and gonna take the plunge. Hard to find a clean hatchback below 100k that's not blue. The one I drove today had 150k. Really not feeling very confident in one with so many miles. Looking forward to starting my steep learning curve.

Yeah, they're a hoot!

Where are you looking? Dealers, Craigslist, forums? There are lots of great cars out there, but lots to be wary of!

STiDawg

CarGurus mostly. Includes some individuals but mostly smaller used car dealerships. Carmax too. I haven't checked craigslist in awhile

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! you're going to absolutely love it here!! What car do you currently drive? What other cars have you had in the past? Post some pictures!!

Buying an STi with high miles (over 100,000) doesn't mean it was abused and not taken care of. Albeit, it is rare, but if you look long enough you'll find one that was taken care of meticulously that looks like it has half to a quarter of the miles it actually does. It all depends on your budget, what your goals for the car will be, and whether you're looking for a stock or modified car.

STiDawg

Thanks. Ive been driving a 99 Tacoma for 3 years, a 98 lx470 before that and an 01 camry for the longest. Have been reading about and watching videos for years ?n an awd hatch th?t was fun to drive. So ?t came down to the STi and the Golf R. Now that my son is 16 and really wants my Tacoma I figure it's high time I get what I've wanted for years. It's tough going away from Toyota but they dont make anything comparable.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I suggest finding one with a maintence history. 100k+ isn't a big deal if things have been taken care of (timing belt & tensioner, clutch, regular fluids, etc.). For me it shows a level of maturity and mechanical understanding to keep some form of records. Any car I have bought with good records has been a good one with few to no issues during my ownership.

Good luck in your search, I think you can find a good one private sale if the owner checks out and the car is clean in and out. Dealer prices on these cars can be pretty ludicrous and most don't know anything about them so even basic maintence might be lacking.