The joy of bicycling (from the perspective of a group of car enthusiasts)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So I just did a quick trip to the store and decided to sprint up the hill back. I stayed in the saddle, but only averaged 266W over 0.4 miles and <2 minutes... You're averaging more than that over more than 30 min!!! Good for you.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Rocked out 22 miles for the day and also crossed the 400 mile mark. We'll have to wait and find out how I feel in a couple of days. I'm either retiring (yeah, "retiring" my joyous cycling that I do for fun on the side. :lol: ) for the season, or I'll crush out 25 miles on four different days and cross the 500 mile mark before I hang up the bike.

HYYZAXe.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What's a century? I actually rode one more mile around a couple of blocks the other day and hung up the bike. 406 miles... Most I've ever ridden in my entire life...

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What's a century? I actually rode one more mile around a couple of blocks the other day and hung up the bike. 406 miles... Most I've ever ridden in my entire life...
Century is riding 100 miles in one ride.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I honestly think I could do that... It'd be hell, but I definitely view it as possible.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh it's very possible for anyone in decent shape, IMO. Doing it quickly is the hard part. I did 5 centuries in a row once and it was terrible but memorable.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh it's very possible for anyone in decent shape, IMO. Doing it quickly is the hard part. I did 5 centuries in a row once and it was terrible but memorable.

That seems insane to me! :lol: 5 days in a row?!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
That seems insane to me! :lol: 5 days in a row?!

It was across Oklahoma...it left an impression on me that I didn't want to be in Oklahoma. I know some people love it, but definitely not for me. Like, that panhandle...why??

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Update on my cycling life. I have really dropped off since other things have taken priority. So much so that I sold off some parts and am replacing them with cheaper alternatives (makes no difference in performance since I really only ride inside these days). Crazy how something you pour so much time into one year can become priority 0 the next!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What've you been selling off? Lightweight saddles, seatposts, etc...?

My cycling has been VERY limited over the past few months. Pretty much no pleasure rides, just the ~3 miles round trip to pick up my daughter from daycare. On the way back it's a nice uphill, so at least I get my heart rate up for a few minutes.

This fall we also snagged a used Cannondale Quick off of CL (no CRAZY deal, just a good one) for my wife. She HATES it. :roll: I think because it's only got the dual cog up front and she wants a real lazy/climbing gear. But she's been unable to articulate why it's so terrible.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What've you been selling off? Lightweight saddles, seatposts, etc...?

My cycling has been VERY limited over the past few months. Pretty much no pleasure rides, just the ~3 miles round trip to pick up my daughter from daycare. On the way back it's a nice uphill, so at least I get my heart rate up for a few minutes.

This fall we also snagged a used Cannondale Quick off of CL (no CRAZY deal, just a good one) for my wife. She HATES it. :roll: I think because it's only got the dual cog up front and she wants a real lazy/climbing gear. But she's been unable to articulate why it's so terrible.

I sold off the dual power meter I had on it and bought a cheaper crankset. Pocketed $400 which is going straight into fixing my wife's suv (brake caliper locked up). Yay. I was going to part the rest of it but haven't gotten any good bites on it yet.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh i guess i should update my saga.

Early Jan had someone break into our detached garage and steal my bike ('18 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp). We caught them on video but the cops never really did anything. So i took the opportunity to upgrade bikes, as well as security cameras/locks/lighting. I got a used '22 Trek Checkpoint SL6 that had been upgraded a bit to be closer to the SL7. 2x eTap AXS shifting (electronic/wireless) is soooooo nice. I thought it was just kinda cool, but after racking up hundreds of miles i've gotta say I'm hooked! I also picked up a 2nd wheelset so i have a gravel set (currently with 40c) and a road set (currently a 26c). I've gotta say the bike looks kinda doofy with the road tires, but oh well. I've got some searches for a cheap set of 650bs where i can put something silly-wide on it like a 2.2" mtb tire. Why?...Why not!

I dont gravel that much. There's really only one gravel route near my house--the C&O trail. And that's easily tackled with much narrower tires. In fact, some of the KOMs over long distances are on a Venge with 32c tires... So why did i get a gravel bike? I guess cuz fast, KOMs, PRs, are cool but i dont actually need any of that if I'm not racing? And i guess it's aspirational. I took the bike to Charlotte and conquered some good gravel there. I can always ride roads on a gravel bike, but I can't always ride gravel on a road bike...