Rebuilt title 2013 STI HB

j.kor11x

Hey guys,

I was looking at a 13 STI HB with a rebuilt title from a used car dealership. He printed me an AutoCheck report and it shows it hit a curb back in 2014 in NY.
The guy told me everything was replaced with OEM parts and the car looks clean; inside and out. It did have the intercooler with the red STI logo. (I thought 08 and after didn't have those).
Anyways, everyone that I've asked would either say they wouldn't buy anything rebuilt or that I would have a hard time selling.
Tbh, I don't plan on selling; I just care about reliability.
I was going to take it to a tuner shop and have them to do a leakdown/compression test before I decide to pull the trigger.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?
What other questions should I be asking?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hey guys,

I was looking at a 13 STI HB with a rebuilt title from a used car dealership. He printed me an AutoCheck report and it shows it hit a curb back in 2014 in NY.
The guy told me everything was replaced with OEM parts and the car looks clean; inside and out. It did have the intercooler with the red STI logo. (I thought 08 and after didn't have those).
Anyways, everyone that I've asked would either say they wouldn't buy anything rebuilt or that I would have a hard time selling.
Tbh, I don't plan on selling; I just care about reliability.
I was going to take it to a tuner shop and have them to do a leakdown/compression test before I decide to pull the trigger.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?
What other questions should I be asking?

First and foremost, welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! What car do you currently drive? What other cars have you had in the past?

-The 2008+ STi models do not come with a red STi logo on the intercooler. However, a $10 stencil exists, so anyone can paint their intercooler if they choose to do so. I personally think the logo looks great!

-The salvage title shouldn't matter as long as everything checks out to your expectations and standards.

-Compression and leak down tests are a must, so ensure you get both done. They will essentially tell you the state the engine is in and if it's healthy.

-The problem with asking questions is that the original owner isn't present. Unless there are extensive documents that come with the car, anyone can lie about previous maintenance.

You don't have much information posted about the car, so I'm going to assume that it's stock and has no modifications.

I would absolutely need to visually inspect the underneath of the car when it's up on a lift. I would visually inspect the tires (even wear, no patches or nails) and the suspension components (no broken pieces); forcefully move the wheels (left and right, top and bottom) to feel that all suspension components are intact; push down on the fenders by the struts to ensure no loose rebounding; check all sills for proper VIN codes and no misalignment in between body panels; visually inspect the car in the sunlight and check for paint mismatches; visually check for any fluid leaks; visually check that all heat shields are intact (no turbo heat shield exhaust pieces missing as if the car was once modified, but then reverted back to stock); and finally a thorough drive in the city and on the highway to check for NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness).

Again, this is assuming the car is stock. Also, if you do purchase the car, I would recommend replacing belts, filters, and fluid regardless of what other documents would say for peace of mind, however, I am more anal than others when it comes to cars and maintenance. Hope this helps give you some ideas as to what you should check and look out for.

j.kor11x

Thanks for the warm welcome! I currently drive a 2008 Honda Civic SI. I've always wanted a STI so here I am ready to buy one.

I've pretty much done everything you mentioned except lifting the car in the air and having a good look on the bottom.

Anyways, I decided to pass on it because I couldn't justify paying 19k for something that was rebuilt with so little information.

I'm currently in the process of looking at a blobeye. Clean title, ~150k miles on the body, ~20k on rebuilt motor, and the owner had all the paperwork for all the work he did on it.

I'm excited to be a part of IGOTASTI and hopefully soon, I can show off my new beast.

Thanks!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Thanks for the warm welcome! I currently drive a 2008 Honda Civic SI. I've always wanted a STI so here I am ready to buy one.

I've pretty much done everything you mentioned except lifting the car in the air and having a good look on the bottom.

Anyways, I decided to pass on it because I couldn't justify paying 19k for something that was rebuilt with so little information.

I'm currently in the process of looking at a blobeye. Clean title, ~150k miles on the body, ~20k on rebuilt motor, and the owner had all the paperwork for all the work he did on it.

I'm excited to be a part of IGOTASTI and hopefully soon, I can show off my new beast.

Thanks!

Yeah a salvage car should be WAY cheaper than that.

Was the motor built (strengthened, etc...) or just rebuilt (from damange, age, etc...)?

Any other mods to it?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you have any more questions, make sure you ask them. I'd rather have you play it safe than be sorry and full of regret later. We're all willing to contribute and point you in the right direction based on our previous experiences and the knowledge we have obtained over the years. :tup:

Show us some pictures of the Civic SI! What other cars have you had in the past?

j.kor11x

Yeah a salvage car should be WAY cheaper than that.

Was the motor built (strengthened, etc...) or just rebuilt (from damange, age, etc...)?

Any other mods to it?

I honestly have no clue. The salesman mentioned brand new engine and in their notes, it said engine needs to be broken in.