Rough ride in turns

BoogieMachine

I have a 2018 WRX STI. I bought it with 1500 miles on it. I have noticed when going thru turns with some speed it gets bumpy. The road is recently paved and is smooth in other vehicles I drive. It feels like I am running over those reflectors that are in the middle of the road with the dashed white line. Is this something that all wheel vehicles do? I know if I'm in four drive in other vehicles and make a turn, the front tires will wheel hop. Any advice would be great. Video is of the turn.

[video]https://www.bitchute.com/video/VeFF9WUn6Am0/[/video]

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Smooth should be smooth at that speed/radius. It's not an AWD thing.

Since its a 2018, you should still be under warranty to take to the dealer!

Do you have any mods, or is it still stock?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the drivetrain controls on such a new model, but I imagine it has a DCCD right? What setting do you have it set to?

BoogieMachine

I have put 1500 miles on it since i have gotten it. I haven't touched the DCCD and it is set to automatic. I wonder if the person before either didn't know how to drive a stick and was learning or was clutch popping it and damaged the cv axles somehow and that is causing the vibration in the turns. Thank you all for the replies.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hmm... maybe try puttig the DCCD in full open (all the way down; green) and see if anything changes. Sometimes people put the DCCD into LOCK, or some other radically tight setting, on pavement and end up damaging it. Afterwards, in AUTO or any other setting, the DCCD gets hung up inside and you get some binding in turns. Hopefully that is not the case because it is a huuuuge repair job. But like Grinder said, it should still be in warranty.

Another thing worth checking out is the alignment. You never know...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have a 2018 WRX STI. I bought it with 1500 miles on it. I have noticed when going thru turns with some speed it gets bumpy. The road is recently paved and is smooth in other vehicles I drive. It feels like I am running over those reflectors that are in the middle of the road with the dashed white line. Is this something that all wheel vehicles do? I know if I'm in four drive in other vehicles and make a turn, the front tires will wheel hop. Any advice would be great. Video is of the turn.

[video]https://www.bitchute.com/video/VeFF9WUn6Am0/[/url]
[MENTION=7200]BoogieMachine[/MENTION] Unfortunately, we need some more information since this is a situation where it's more difficult to figure out through text rather than being there in person feeling what's going on in the car. Some of these questions may seem stupid, but from my point of view, I don't know how much experience you have with cars or what knowledge you possess.

-Has your car always done this since you purchased it or is this something that began occurring recently?
-Is it any turn in excess or 50-60 MPH or just that turn specifically?
-Did you purchase the vehicle stock or did it have modifications?
-During these bumpy moments, does the steering wheel feel firm or does it bounce/jitter around?
-What tires are on the car and what PSI are they inflated to?
-Have you ever had an alignment done or do you have an alignment sheet from a previous alignment?
-Have you checked all connections regarding bolts and nuts between various suspension components to ensure everything is tight? Meaning, no loose sway bars, end links, struts, etc.
-Are all of the wheels mated to the hubs completely with no loose space in between them? (Tightened lug nuts don't always mean flatly mated wheels on hubs. You have to inspect the points of contact between the rims and hubs.)

[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] Regarding the DCCD, the GR/GV/VA systems are different than the GD models'. You'd have to look in your owner's manual to find out how to get into Full Open mode since it is different. Although, 99% of STi owner's will never be able to fully utilize the DCCD system, especially on the street, so you might as well leave it in Automatic at all times. I don't presume it's the differentials because there are so many other variables that could contribute to this. Give us some more information and we'll hopefully be able to come to a conclusion.