New Sti

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!

What other cars have you had in the past? How does the STi compare to them? Is there anything you don't like about the car? What do you love about it?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Hey everyone. Got a new sti a few weeks ago. Love it. Wouldn?t trade it for anything!!

Welcome!

Tell us more. What year? New/used? Any mods to it? Any plans to mod it? Any plans to race/rally it? Favorite thing about it? Pictures! Tell us more!

Pat-GB

hb1TMma.jpg

It's a new 2019 STI. Had to drive the next state over to get her, but glad I did.

Not sure I'll mod it for a while, maybe after she gets a few miles or I burn through the 8yr 80k mile warranty.

Pat-GB

Oh, and I forgot to add the story. I got it new, drove it from Minnesota back to Green Bay. Then after a week had a guy run a light and hit me, and drive off (bastard). Anyway, got the car back last week (4.5 weeks later). Drives good as new. was only bumper and quarter panel damaged.

So I used to have a Mitsubishi Lancer (not evo) back in the day and missed driving a manual. I drove/drive a Nissan Frontier 07 before and will keep it for winters. Just love the way the STI drives. Always hugging the road, so responsive. All the people that don't like the STI because of the gas mileage can get bent. I love this car.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Wtf... :rambo: People are such asshats. :doh: Sorry to hear that happened to you. Good to hear that it wasn't too bad though. Did they ever identify the other car/driver?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Honestly, keeping the car stock in terms of engine and drive train is the smartest play in your book for the time being. You can still modify aesthetics and wheels,
which I will get into now. Have you started doing research on a spare set of wheels, and either all season tires or dedicated winter tires? I personally would keep the stock wheels in the factory form that they are in now. Use that set for the warmer months of the year and a second set of wheels with winter tires for the colder months.

You would benefit greatly from learning how the car handles in stock form and may be able to push it to its limits depending on your environment. Either, after your warranty is up, or close to it, you can start modifying the engine and drive train. I know that once you start modding and the mod bug bites, it can be difficult to abstain from pursuing forward. :lol:

Ah... Well, I won't delete what I wrote, but I just now saw your other thread. So, you are in fact going to get another set of wheels with dedicated winter tires. Smart man! :tup:

Aside from proper, dedicated tires, the car should already have everything else you would ever need.

-How many miles are on the car right now?
-Have you read the owner's manual, twice?
-How do you normally drive the car?
-Have you properly informed yourself of crucial information before driving hard and playing with the different driving modes?

Do you have any questions for us? We are here to help you avoid any unnecessary newbie mistakes that we have all made in our past.

Pat-GB

Just over 1050 miles, and already changed the oil at the 1k mark. I usually drive it pretty easy. I only live like 10 miles from work and the speed limits are slow around here. I've had my fun with it, though. She drives nice and corners like a dream. I have read the owners manual and even downloaded the PDF for quick searches. I know enough to not launch it (at least not often :). I can tell the difference playing with the different driving modes and reading about them online. Needless to say, I did my research before I even bought the car. I've wanted one for years, just needed to pay down some debt.
I am looking at moding the body already, but will take it easy with the holidays coming up. I'll have fun next year. As far as questions, not right now. Just the wheel sizing. I'd love to get some 17" wheels for winter. I like the 19" and summer tires. Not sure I want all season.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It looks like you're on the right track. ALWAYS learn as much as you can in order to avoid mistakes! :tup:

I answered your question in your other thread.

Pat-GB

I saw that. Thanks for the response! Guess I'm looking for 18" wheels. Going to check a few pick-a-part places to see if I can get some off junked cars. Save some money this year at least.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
One thing that's difficult on a forum, is knowing how knowledgable someone is, because we don't want to come off as talking down to anyone. I was there back in the day, I knew which way to turn a bolt :lol: but didn't understand the vehicle as a complete system, so to speak. So anyway, don't be afraid to run everything by us, even tires!

For example all wheel drive systems such as Subaru's, can experience damage to the viscous couplings if your tire tread depths are more than 2/32 apart. i.e. all your tires at at 6/32 and you replace two tires with brand new 10/32" tread depth... you're gonna have expensive damage to fix. I guess that's just an obscure example of why we suggest you mention this stuff.

We want to help you prevent problems from happening in the first place.

Pat-GB

I was reading that yesterday on the tire forums. First AWD, so I'm doing my research. Good/bad part is I live in the north so AWD/4WD is a normal thing. Bad part is snow/Salt. I'm planning on garaging it the first few winters to save the frame from salt.

Grinder34

Track Monkey

Your link was broken so I fixed that for ya :tup:

Looks good! How much extra noise do you notice from the bars, and any whistling or anything? Do you leave them on all the time?

We have a Thule roof carrier with similar bars for my wife's car, but I had to take the bars off for daily driving because of how noticeable it was for me. I'm sure having a sunroof didn't help.

Pat-GB

Surprisingly none. I haven't driven around with the windows down yet as it's still chilly in Wisconsin. They are wing shaped, so not sure I'll get any.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Surprisingly none. I haven't driven around with the windows down yet as it's still chilly in Wisconsin. They are wing shaped, so not sure I'll get any.

Well that's a better start than I had. No windows down required to hear the extra wooooosh. And at some speeds i got a whistle...very aggrivating!